Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Portable Air?

I recently saw a new twist at a campground. Another class C had a portable room LG airconditioner from Home Depot sitting between the front seats with the vent and power cord out the window. This was in addition to normal RV roof air. I wanted to talk to owner but he was gone for day. This intrigues me since on those extra hot days I hit 88 degrees in my camper. This might be an alternative to mounting a second roof air expense. Has anyone else seen or used these? Do they work?

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

It sounds like an intelligent idea. When we had a 27' Class C with a single A/C it was a bear to keep it cool in hot weather.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #3

I cool my entire 35 foot MCI Bus (converted) with an 800 BTU window air conditioner.

The trick is in the use of the proper number of fans to push/distribute the cold air. It has been around 95 where I am and I have no problem keeping the rig cool, and comfortable.

The AC unit is in the rear portion of the rig, pushing air side to side, but the first fan (12 volt box type) intercepts the cold air and pushes it towards the length of the rig, and is placed in the cold air stream.

The second fan is a 24 volt high volume, high speed muffin type fan set on the floor to push the cold air off the floor and through the toilet/shower area.

The third fan is like the second, but is about amidships, and is higher up near the ceiling to achieve a good dispersal of the colder air.

It took me quite a while to get it just right, I had trouble with head creep in the forward part of the rig till I put the third fan in, and I'm now cooler than the rooftop AC ever achieved. At fact, I have removed the rooftop unit, and have another solar panel there now.

The reason I worked at, and achieved success, is because I boondock, and needed to keep cool with only a Honda generator 3000i (Handy version).

Ed
Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #4

Trouble with them, you need to have a way to get air to the condenser before it discharges it out the vent. Only way with those is to draw it out of the coach which draws it in from outside. Get the second AC. The only way to use something like that, (which I have two 8,000 btu GE units) is to set them out side and have the evaporator(cold) side vented into the coach.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
I recently saw a new twist at a campground. Another class C had a portable room LG airconditioner from Home Depot sitting between the front seats with the vent and power cord out the window. This was in addition to normal RV roof air. I wanted to talk to owner but he was gone for day. This intrigues me since on those extra hot days I hit 88 degrees in my camper. This might be an alternative to mounting a second roof air expense. Has anyone else seen or used these? Do they work?
THEY ARE A JOKE

That's just MHO

We tried one when we lost our AC in Page AZ to try and get us by until we could get ours fixed. Like the post above, only if you can get the unit outside and draw only the air to be cooled to the cooling coil. With the unit inside, the condenser duct emits hot radiated heat to the inside.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #6

Brother in law had two both from Home Depot and took both back. Neither cooled as they advertised.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Preface: I don't full time and when I boondock I usually don't use the refrig. So this would be for vacation stays where I am always plugged in.

I was thinking about trying this whenever my Domtic RV refrig needs replaced:
1. Pull the large RV frig and install a smaller dorm room style electric refrig. (3.5 Cu Foot)
2. Build a shelf for a window AC unit (8000BTU).
3. Seal/insulate well between interior of RV and the dorm frig/AC unit.
3. Since the Dorm room refrig and Air Conditioner will both require 120VAC power, install a 120VAC fan that pulls in a lot of air to the back of the units and exausts out the top. Fan will have to be quiet and sound dampened.
Fire away with ideas.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #8

Paul & Carol, I tried a portable unit that was 10,000 btu's. I vented it to the outside and did not have heat problems mentioned in some of the above posts. It did help cool the interior but it was heavy and even on rollers hard to move around on the carpet. I ended up adding a roof air. It's never in the way and always safely secured.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Paul & Carol, I tried a portable unit that was 10,000 btu's. I vented it to the outside and did not have heat problems mentioned in some of the above posts. It did help cool the interior but it was heavy and even on rollers hard to move around on the carpet. I ended up adding a roof air. It's never in the way and always safely secured.
What all is involved for second unit. I imagine I will have to upgrade to 50amp service. Always open to ideas, especially keeping cool in hot coastal campgrounds 4 months each year.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
I too purchased a portable AC unit (10,000 BTU) to supplement the cooling of my RV trailer. Temperatures exceed 100 F easily this time of the year here in Texas. I only have the one roof mount AC and without the portable AC, I don't believe I could live inside the RV without it. Currently, the trailer is parked in a RV park for my son to live in while attending college this Fall. There are no trees to provide shade so I thought I would give the portable AC a try.

So far so good!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
How about adding two fans in the motorhome? Point them at the A/C. That should circulate the air around better.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #12

Last week on the beach, I was talking to a feller about the heat, as he was camped out for a week on the beach in a small tent. I inquired as to how he stood the heat. I got a lesson in "the mother of invention"

He cut a small square hole in his tent, took duck tape and ran a 5000 btu a/c in it , duck taped around it and ran a generator.

Aint life great!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #13

I don't like running the Onan 4KW generator because it's so noisy but I have to run it to operate the noisy roof top A/C unit when I boondock. So, since I have a 2KW Honda, I bought a 5200 BTU Kenmore window A/C from Sears. The A/C weighs about 40-45 pounds so I can lift it into the window after setting it up on the table. It lives under the sink. I place a towel that's been folded several times underneath it so it doesn't mess up th slides for the window and screen. The Honda fits nicely under one side of the table when traveling. The Kenmore A/C has a power saver feature, is pretty quiet and has a remote control. A Lasko 4916 Desktop Wind Tower Oscillating Fan keeps lots of air moving around and keeps things cool enough most of the time.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #14

I think people are talking about two different ac's the one that gold pan and mr foto are talking about do not draw in outside air they exhaust air to the outside and work good for small areas.