Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #1

Possible job relocation to Phoenix, AZ??

So, the opportunity has come up at a possible promotion, but that would mean leaving CA (which I really want to do anyway), and moving to the Phoenix area of AZ. Can anyone tell me a little about AZ? What do you like, what don't you like? I am already liking the ability to concealed carry a firearm without a permit... Any insight is greatly appreciated. This is all in the planning stages right now, and we haven't made any moves yet, but we have a lot to think about. We would have to sell our house, and figure out logistics of getting 3 vehicles, a trailer, our camper, and all of our belongings out there, not to mention I would need to find a place to live while my wife worked on selling our house in CA... I suppose I could just live in the camper in a campground for a few weeks....
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #2

Not living in Phoenix but visiting relatives and friends a number of times all I can say is HOT. (but it's a dry heat, LOL). 110 degree plus is not unusual. Depending on where your job is located will of course make a difference. I have a friend that lives in Chandler which is nice. Also a friend that lives in Scottsdale which is upscale, and another friend that lives in Carefree is VERY upscale (1 mil+ homes). SIL lives about a mile from U of Phoenix and is a middle class to lower middle class area. It seems to be a nice place to live. Lots of Adobe style housing. It was hard hit by the housing bust but I think it is recovering very well now. Although real estate agents aren't allowed to tell you where not to live they can suggest places that are better to live in. Phoenix is a very large metro area so a lot of choices. I would suggest you take some vacation time and spend a week or so checking it out. I don't blame you for wanting to get out of CA.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #3

Hot, HoT, HOT!

Had a teacher friend move there about 6 years ago and she ended up hating the way grade schools are run there.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a daughter who lives there. Mesa actually.

The area is very nice with lots of things to do. Pretty good weather year round...a bit hot but no earthquakes.

You'll need reservations at the RV parks in the winter due to snowbirds. Summertime the place empties out.

They have Cracker Barrel restaurants...good reason to move there!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

Visit now, and if you can tolerate the heat you will be fine. Winter is great, just need to put up with about 2 months of real hot summer. Phoenix is a huge metropolitan area with many suburbs and areas to live. I would check out where your work would be and then see what potential housing areas meet your preferences.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #6

I'd be tempted to tow a car with the truck and camper then stay in a campground for a month or two while getting sorted out. Make sure you have AC in the camper. Be upfront with the campground about what you are doing and they may do you some favors like letting you unload the camper so you can go back for the trailer with a truck. As an alternative rent a Uhaul truck and go back for the trailer and stuff when the house sells. Probably cheaper to drive the truck there from Phoenix than it is to pay for a one way rental. You can check that out. It might be worth moving some stuff even if you use a mover. Other stuff is better off in a yard sale and replacing as you need it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
So, the opportunity has come up at a possible promotion, but that would mean leaving CA ..
GO! and don't look back.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Phoenix is unbelievably huge. First step would be to locate where the potential job is because you would definitely want to live within a reasonable distance of work. Phoenix proper is big enough but there are also many subdivisions of Phoenix such as Mesa, Chandler, Auwatukee, etc. If it were me, I would take a few days vacation & a weekend to check out the location and areas close by. Drive around and look. See what it is like at rush hour, what's around for dining and entertainment, where are the grocery stores, that sort of thing. There is a whole lot to do in Phoenix and I love the zoo and botanical gardens but it is miles away (across town) from where my sister lives so it is a major destination. AND as others stated it is hot, very hot in the summer months. I only visit in November or December when it is like summer here in Alabama.

A lot of the campgrounds allow for monthly stays at reduced rates but let me tell you there are none in Phoenix proper - you have to go further out to places like Gold Canyon, Casa Grande, Mesa or the like. The closer to Phoenix the more the "campgrounds" are for permanent folks but some have a few spaces reserved for those moving through.

The thing that most struck me about the Phoenix area was the beige color- so much beige - houses, dirt, rocks, walls. Small trees are a big thing. Lots of cactus everywhere, desert plantings for yards. I have gone every year for the past 11 years and it still strikes me that way. Still, I enjoy visiting for a couple of weeks.

If you decide to go ahead, then I would suggest you either live in the camper or rent temporarily until you know the area well. If you sell the CA house then store what you can't use. With Phoenix and surrounding areas, it is best to take your time and get in the right neighborhood for schools, churches, stores and neighbors. It is worth it to take your time finding the right place.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
one thing you will notice is that people smile alot more than they do in Calif. the sunshine just brings it out . moved twenty years ago from socal do not regret it one bit.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
PHX is wonderful in the winter and hot as blazes in the summer. It's also brown with very few trees, year round. I don't care for the summers...my sister and BIL live there and love it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I'd be tempted to tow a car with the truck and camper then stay in a campground for a month or two while getting sorted out. Make sure you have AC in the camper. Be upfront with the campground about what you are doing and they may do you some favors like letting you unload the camper so you can go back for the trailer with a truck. As an alternative rent a Uhaul truck and go back for the trailer and stuff when the house sells. Probably cheaper to drive the truck there from Phoenix than it is to pay for a one way rental. You can check that out. It might be worth moving some stuff even if you use a mover. Other stuff is better off in a yard sale and replacing as you need it.
Actually, I work for a truck rental and leasing company, and they will pay for most of my relocation costs... so that's pretty much covered..
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
As has already been mentioned, Phoenix can be incredibly hot in the summer, and the humidity can exacerbate that during monsoon season. But realize, you are moving to a desert! Its supposed to be hot! The lack of greenery reflects the need for water conservation, again, desert! Phoenix is very large and growing. Traffic is a bear. Phoenix is also very modern with most of the conveniences of LA, Chicago and Dallas or other cities of comparable size. If you like summer sports, boating, fishing, water skiing, you are only a couple of hours away from some really nice lakes and all they have to offer (I think I read somewhere that Arizona has more boats per capita than any other state in the union!). Of course, the rest of the state has tons to offer with a truly diverse environment from the tall pine country of the Mogollon Rim and the Grand Canyon and the Sky Islands of Southern Arizona to the true desert experience of cactus and coyotes! History abounds all over the state and is a lot of fun to explore. Welcome and enjoy!
Old 07-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #13

I moved from Santa Ana (Orange County) CA to Mesa, AZ back in early 2007. I love it here! Everything is cheaper, especially real estate. You won't need earthquake insurance, and you can sell your lawn mower in a garage sale before you leave CA. The only people here who want lawns are the wealthy and transplants from Seattle.

Yes, it gets a little toasty here during the summer. I believe the figures average around 110 days over 100 degrees, with about 15 or so of those being over 110. The hottest day ever recorded in Phoenix was 122 in late June, quite a few years ago. I did experience 119 a couple of years back. I take my RV to Indiana in July and again in August each year, and 110 in the AZ dry heat is no more uncomfortable than 90 with high humidity in the midwest or south. I find the heat to be a non-issue for the most part. You are either in your home, car, office, mall or grocery store.

The valley is spread out, but it has a great freeway system. When coming in on the 10 freeway from CA, from the time you encounter populated areas in the west end (Glendale, Buckeye, Avondale, etc.) until you reach the far east valley (Mesa, Gilbert, Apache Junction) is a 40 minute drive at most, excepting for rush hour traffic. I have fond memories of only moving 8-10 miles in 40 minutes in So. Cal. day in and day out.

What stands out to me is the cleanliness of the roadways and cities, overall. Graffiti on freeway sound walls and overhead signs is almost non-existent, and when it does appear, it is quickly cleaned up.

There are many nice communities in all regions of the valley, so if I were in your situation, I would be focusing on areas near your workplace to eliminate the need for a long daily commute.
terryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #14

I'm Arizona native, graduate of Arizona State University, and retired from the Central Arizona Project. But, I always say, I've eaten in a McDonalds on 5 continents and have been to 46 of the 50 states, so my love of Arizona isn't just from this is the only place I've lived.

Yes, it gets hot in the summer. That's what they make air conditioning for. My father always told his Michigan relatives, "we have four months of bad weather just like you, but we don't have to shovel it."

And, yes Phoenix is a big city, sixth largest in the US. But, if you are going to be stationed at Luke AFB, you are in one of the nicest parts of the valley, so you won't need to drive the freeways.

And, last - anyplace is better than California!!

Tags
cat

« Too Hot | Weird »