Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
POW! Lights Out!

The owners of the RV Park where I'm staying are upgrading the electrical distribution system. As I left to buy some groceries this afternoon, I noticed a couple of the roads tore up with trenches running across them. Shortly after I returned and as I was putting the groceries away the power went out. I wasn't too surprised since last week a notice went around saying to expect some outages while the work progressed. Well after I got the generator going and finished putting the groceries away I walked down to the trench where the workers were to find out how long the power would be out. It turns out that one of the workmen was cutting thru a 4” PVC pipe with a sawsall that he thought was a sewer line but tuned out to be an electrical conduit. The man was shaken up but not seriously hurt and taken to the hospital as a precaution.

I hope when he leaves the hospital he goes straight to the store to buy a lottery ticket.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
. It turns out that one of the workmen was cutting thru a 4” PVC pipe with a sawsall that he thought was a sewer line but tuned out to be an electrical conduit. The man was shaken up but not seriously hurt and taken to the hospital as a precaution.

I hope when he leaves the hospital he goes straight to the store to buy a lottery ticket.
Holy smokes! That is one lucky dude.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
This is why you do as built drawings when you build. so you know where everything is, no guessing.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some of those old RV parks have no drawings. They were made into RV parks before all the codes were set.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Be careful while this is going on. The last time Ga. power worked on our street, they shorted out the main lines and burned up three customer motorhomes, that we had plugged in. There was about a hundred MH's on the lot, but only three plugged in. If you have any problems, make sure you report it right away.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
...and he didn't know the difference in a conduit and a sewer line? Cutting into either is not exactly smart either.

Somehow I don't think "location as builts" would have made any difference in using a sawzall...heck he thought he was cutting a sewer line.

RJay is spot on, he should go buy a lottery ticket.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
D&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
...and he didn't know the difference in a conduit and a sewer line? Cutting into either is not exactly smart either.

Somehow I don't think "location as builts" would have made any difference in using a sawzall...heck he thought he was cutting a sewer line.

RJay is spot on, he should go buy a lottery ticket.
Been around a lot of old parks and old underground wiring in general and I can tell you there is a lot of wires run in white sewer pipe but I would never cut any pipe without finding out what was in it.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Usually the procedure whenever there's to be digging is to call Dig Safe but in this case these are private facilities on private property which Dig Safe doesn't handle. I haven't been able to talk with anyone about the details so I can't comment on the question of as built drawings.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #9

It doesn't matter, dig-safe/holey moley, or whatever it is called, has a computerized device that can locate buried electrical lines. I wonder if it was a work-camper or professional electrician? There are protocols that should be followed. Remember the slogan, "Safety is job one".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Usually the procedure whenever there's to be digging is to call Dig Safe but in this case these are private facilities on private property which Dig Safe doesn't handle. I haven't been able to talk with anyone about the details so I can't comment on the question of as built drawings.
RJay, FYI. We have rural acreage (in Texas) and I'm legally required to call Dig Tess before punching a hole in the ground any place on this property-yes, my owned personal private property. Its the law. We have a 30" 900lb natural gas line that crosses our land and I sure don't want to drive a "T" post into that. I have to give them 48 hours notice prior to any digging and if I dig prior to that and cut a line its my responsibility to repair it and to pay for any damages it may cause-even if its in my front yard.

See this site for information pertaining to Texas.

Safe Excavation Begins With You!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #11

Fortunately most new power tools are made with genuine plastic instead of long lasting metal.Don't last but protect you from shocks .
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I did locating for buried telephone for a short while. Some utilities will not located private service such as campgrounds and even from the transformer to your home. I could never figure it out. We were not required to locate the service wire from the terminal to the home but I always did. I figured that I was already there anyway and the time to mark it was way less than to repair it after it was cut. Our stuff is not even dangerous when cut. One difference is that many utilities contract out locators and from what I saw they are rushed and overworked to cut the price so they only do what is necessary and move on.

Fortunately now days there is usually a plastic tape buried above the electric, communications or whatever that states what it is so no guessing.

BTW I never located in a CG but can say that trailer parks were one of the biggest PITA to locate.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
It's my understanding that when Dig Safe is called they contact all utilities, federal, state, local to determine if they have facilities that cross the property in question. If there is, that governing body or utility contacts Dig Safe so they can mark out the facilities on the property. Since there's no public records of private property facilities they are not marked. I assume the reason Dig Safe doesn't mark homeowner's facilities is because any damage(costs and outages) the homeowner sustains to his facilities only impacts the homeowner. In this case Dig Safe is somewhat a non-issue since the facilities were already located in the trench its just the worker cut into the wrong conduit.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Here in Illinois, we call "JULIE" and she comes out and locates everything, right up to the house.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote