Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for doing business or working here for me it depends on what they are attempting to do. I would never expect to buy a car from someone who spoke anything but English. However, if the guy is mowing my lawn or washing my coach, how much is about all we need to say to each other. I might have to point to whatever I want done. We don't need to learn a second language to do that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish that the problem were as simple as you describe. It is far more widespread than most believe:
1. I was in the Seattle & Olympia area on and off for almost 4 months. It was rare to find a restaurant, sit down or fast food where the wait staff didn't speak with a strong Hispanic accent. More than once, it was easier for me to use my limited Spanish to communicate than their limited English.
2. In the Dallas area, we constantly find places where the person that we are dealing with in business has a very limited command of English.
3. In many cases, the person that I'm trying to deal with has had no formal instruction in Spanish. The words that they use are a combination of mis-pronounced English words and slang terms in Spanish that not even clear to native Spanish speakers from other areas.

A few years ago, I spent a few weeks or sometimes a few months on and off working in various European countries. Before I left the US, I always bought books, language tapes and dictionaries in the language where I was going to be. In succession, I learned enough Italian, French, German and even Danish that I could greet the people from that country in their language, ask directions (and have a reasonable chance of understanding the respond), find the bathroom, order meals and buy things in stores. If I can do that for only a few weeks at a time, those who actually come here to work can do something similar. In many cases, rather than listen to my bad accent in their language, they might switch to English if they knew it and some even did it to practice speaking English with me. It was always their choice, however. Out of self defense, I've studied Spanish now and been told by some of those that I've practiced with that my pronunciation is good. I'm glad that I did because there are whole towns in south Texas where English speakers are very rare. I would hate to be in one of those towns, have a flat tire or other breakdown and depend on those around me speaking English to help me. That just isn't going to happen.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #16

I work in a hospital and we were just informed by the local free clinic that expect double our current bith rate due to the legislation on immigration. Just take a guess at who is paying those birth bills! We have to expand and make NO MONEY ON ANY OF THEM.

I too am tired of Press 1

Old 07-06-2007, 04:35 AM   #17

I'm glad that I did because there are whole towns in south Texas where English speakers are very rare.

That reminds of the pictures I saw of a California highschool that was literally taken over for an afternoon by kids who demanding "immigration rights" and flew the Mexican flag above an upside down American flag!

American flag comes second-with pictures

Obviously there are quite a few who have no allegiance to the country that they live in

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for doing business or working here for me it depends on what they are attempting to do. I would never expect to buy a car from someone who spoke anything but English. However, if the guy is mowing my lawn or washing my coach, how much is about all we need to say to each other. I might have to point to whatever I want done. We don't need to learn a second language to do that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish that the problem were as simple as you describe. It is far more widespread than most believe:
1. I was in the Seattle & Olympia area on and off for almost 4 months. It was rare to find a restaurant, sit down or fast food where the wait staff didn't speak with a strong Hispanic accent. More than once, it was easier for me to use my limited Spanish to communicate than their limited English.
2. In the Dallas area, we constantly find places where the person that we are dealing with in business has a very limited command of English.
3. In many cases, the person that I'm trying to deal with has had no formal instruction in Spanish. The words that they use are a combination of mis-pronounced English words and slang terms in Spanish that not even clear to native Spanish speakers from other areas.

A few years ago, I spent a few weeks or sometimes a few months on and off working in various European countries. Before I left the US, I always bought books, language tapes and dictionaries in the language where I was going to be. In succession, I learned enough Italian, French, German and even Danish that I could greet the people from that country in their language, ask directions (and have a reasonable chance of understanding the respond), find the bathroom, order meals and buy things in stores. If I can do that for only a few weeks at a time, those who actually come here to work can do something similar. In many cases, rather than listen to my bad accent in their language, they might switch to English if they knew it and some even did it to practice speaking English with me. It was always their choice, however. Out of self defense, I've studied Spanish now and been told by some of those that I've practiced with that my pronunciation is good. I'm glad that I did because there are whole towns in south Texas where English speakers are very rare. I would hate to be in one of those towns, have a flat tire or other breakdown and depend on those around me speaking English to help me. That just isn't going to happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Obviously there are quite a few who have no allegiance to the country that they live in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess that is what bothers me most of all. The people that have absolutely no allegiance to this country and the disrespect they show toward it and the laws that have made the freedoms here.

Like the song says...you can love it or leave it.

Ken
Old 07-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #19

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chasfm11:
"I wish that the problem were as simple as you describe. It is far more widespread than most believe:
3. In many cases, the person that I'm trying to deal with has had no formal instruction in Spanish. The words that they use are a combination of mis-pronounced English words and slang terms in Spanish that not even clear to native Spanish speakers from other areas."

Your comments illustrate the problem. if you are successful in sending all of the Mexicans back to Mexico dining out often will become a thing of the past. Even if all of the waiters out front are Americans the kitchen staff is mostly illegal Mexicans. Well unless it's a Chinese restaurant then it's staffed by illegal Chinese. Replacing all of those people will be impossible.

Your comments of proper Spanish are also interesting. May I ask what proper English is? Is it the English they speak in India? How about South Carolina, or would you prefer Boston? Then again you might prefer the English they speak in England? When is the last time you spoke to someone from Ireland? Is that English?

This is one of those issues that get you all excited but in reality nothing will ever happen. I think everyone agrees there is an immigration problem. The problem is how do we solve the problem and avoid economic collapse? You've managed to stop any kind of immigration reform, but if there is a problem your actions accomplished nothing. It certainly can't be blamed for more babies because it didn't happen. Everything remains as it was and if it's a problem nothing will happen until after the next presidential election.

Could it be that you are being used once again? No solution to this problem means you'll still vote in the 2008 election. Have you noticed that those issues you get so excited about never come to pass? Have you noticed that it's all about the money and not the issues you were so excited about when you voted?

Most Americans are tired of the gridlock we have in this country. It's time to start working together towards real solution to some very real problems.

One thing I have learned. I was always confused when Bush called himself a compassionate conservative. This is a man who is responsible for the deaths of thousands, yet on this issue he appears to understand this issue much better than most.

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegascpl:
One thing I have learned. I was always confused when Bush called himself a compassionate conservative. This is a man who is responsible for the deaths of thousands.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Using this logic, Franklin Roosevelt would be responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans, Truman would be responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of Americans, as would Kennedy and Johnson. Right???

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:

Using this logic, Franklin Roosevelt would be responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans, Truman would be responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of Americans, as would Kennedy and Johnson. Right???
Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did Truman, Kennedy or Johnson use information they knew was false or out right lies to commit our country to war?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegascpl:
Did Truman, Kennedy or Johnson use information they knew was false or out right lies to commit our country to war? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Can you prove your allegation? And, speaking of Johnson, you might want to do some research on events leading up to the Gulf of Tonkin resolution. Any particular reason you left out Roosevelt?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:53 AM   #23

PROVE that the current administration KNEW the information was false

And what chemical stock piles that have been found in Irag such as ;

The US military has discovered an Iraqi artillery round loaded with the deadly nerve agent Sarin, Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt has confirmed.

What sarin is
Sarin is a human-made chemical warfare agent classified as a nerve agent. Nerve agents are the most toxic and rapidly acting of the known chemical warfare agents. They are similar to certain kinds of pesticides (insect killers) called organophosphates in terms of how they work and what kind of harmful effects they cause. However, nerve agents are much more potent than organophosphate pesticides.

AND;

Two weeks ago, U.S. military units discovered in Iraq, mustard gas that was used as part of an IED. Tests conducted by the Iraqi Survey Group and others concluded the mustard gas was "stored improperly," which made the gas "ineffective."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:

Did Truman, Kennedy or Johnson use information they knew was false or out right lies to commit our country to war? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-07-2007, 04:54 AM   #24

Don't hold your breath

Making wild comments is a lot easier than proving them

Can you prove your allegation? And, speaking of Johnson, you might want to do some research on events leading up to the Gulf of Tonkin resolution. Any particular reason you left out Roosevelt?

Old 07-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #25

Jayco Owners Club
When is the last time you spoke to someone from Ireland? Is that English?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Careful!!!
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Vgscpl,

Your BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome) is showing. You distort the truth to make your hatred more convincing. It ain't working.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #27

The problem with the current administration is that everything is secret. However, we do know a few things. We know that the reason for the Libby Trial was the Joe Wilson found that the allegations of Iraq working on nuclear weapons were false and that the administration knew it. Yet that made it into the state of the union address.

We also know from several sources that the administration was told there were no WMD's in Iraq but they ignored that intelligence.

When we decided to go to war in Iraq we should have known that we would upset the balance of power and that all our civil war would erupt. Some call it poor planning. Some call it incompetent. Whatever you call thousands have lost their lives and frankly that is criminal. Is it any wonder why the Islamic world hates us?

I have no idea if the other presidents you asked about did the same thing. That's the reason I asked the question.

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 07-07-2007, 08:14 AM   #28
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Weather Bush was right or wrong I would rather have the people who want us off the face of this earth where they are not in our city streets or towns. If some people get their way it may just come to that I'M afraid.
We will have to take up our arms for our protection as this 200+ nation did before.

Who was it that stuff papers in his pants.

The Islam rads hated us before we went after them what was 9-11 all about.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote