Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #1

Press One for English

apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #2

Press One for English

Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Atta go girl you got that right.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #4

Thanks for posting Joanie! A friend sent it to me and I was thinking of posting it but didn't, so I'm glad you did!
Sallys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
Joanie, you are always on top of things. Thanks for sharing and keep it up.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 AM   #6

Thanks for sharing and keep it up.

Thanks and will do !

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Garbageman:
Joanie, you are always on top of things. Thanks for sharing and keep it up.

Paul
Old 07-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I tend to agree, but in the corporate world someone would require "sensitivity training".

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Recent article in the Houston paper about a person interviewing for a job and one of the requirements was to be bilingual. He spoke German and English as his second language. The dope doing the interview told him he could not be consider since he was not bilingual. I always thought bilingual was being able to speak any two languages. Seems down here it is implied to mean English and Spanish.

Ken
Old 07-04-2007, 06:49 AM   #9

It find this issue rather confusing and I would really appreciate someone tell me why it's even an issue. This is a real question. I really don't understand.

Here is why I ask the question. We like many of you have traveled all over Mexico. We've never had a problem even in rural areas or in Mexico City finding people who spoke English as well as Spanish. If you travel in Europe it really isn't a problem getting around all of those countries as most of those people speak several languages. France maybe the exception, they understand, they just might not tell you they do depending on your attitude.

We are going to spend the month of October in Europe. Half of the month will be on a Mediterranean cruise. Now just imagine if all countries around the world decided that their language is the only one that would be spoken while in their country. To do this trip we would have to learn: Spanish, German, Italian, Greek, and Turkish as well as probably several others.

There are a lot of European tourists in the states these days as the dollar has dropped like a rock during the Bush years. Are you saying they should not come here and spend their valuable Euros until they read and speak English only?

Tell me when this has ever been an issue for any of you personally, maybe that will help me understand? Are you upset because someone speaks another language at the table next to you while you are having lunch and you can't listen in? If you have employees and you have trouble communicating with them don't you think it's time to learn just a little a little of their language so you can? In my opinion, videos like this make us look stupid to the rest of the world. We appear arrogant. We expect everyone else in the world to learn our language but we are not willing or smart enough to learn theirs. Now if you tell me you live in Miami or LA I guess I understand. I'm just not sure why you don't make the effort to learn if it's important for you to do so.

There is one other issue. What do you do about the thousands of Americans who were born here and are illiterate? What do we do about American teens who think text messages are proper English?

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 07-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #10

You are talking about being a tourist, the issue is that as a citizen I should not have to wade through, wait, press 5 menu buttons to be able to find help, directions etc in my own country.
Moreover, when I do finally get someone I should be able to understand him or her

The song nor do any of the posts have a problem with being bi-lingual however what is arrogant is to expect that if you want to become a citizen or do business in this country that we have to adjust to "whatever" language a person or non-citizen decides to use is instead of adjusting to what we as Americans speak that is English.

There is no "right" to accommodate any language

If you have employees and you have trouble communicating with them don't you think it's time to learn just a little a little of their language so you can? I

No I expect its time my employee learn the native language so they can give good service to my customers!

To do this trip we would have to learn: Spanish, German, Italian, Greek, and Turkish as well as probably several others

Therefore, using your logic why don't tourists or non-citizens have to learn English when in America?

Are you saying they should not come here and spend their valuable Euros until they read and speak English only?

Another leap into territory not remotely covered in the video.
Valuable Euros? Here is an interesting research article comparing major factors in European and American economics Europe vs. America

And before you start with your usual, "well its bias because its from a conservative source", from the author, I am a professor at a research university, a registered Democrat, a liberal by some measures, but a radical conservative relative to the large majority of my colleagues.

We expect everyone else in the world to learn our language but we are not willing or smart enough to learn theirs.

I do not expect or give a rat's behind if other people in other countries learn English.
That is not what the video or thread is about. It is about people having the respect to learn our language and not expecting us to have to learn theirs as a means of communicating in our own country. "When in Rome" Or does that just apply to Europe?

In addition, who said "we" are not smart enough learn another language? Quella è una dichiarazione ridiculous, pregiudicata ed arrogante!

As far as speaking proper English, that is a whole another subject that isn't even addressed in this post so its way off subject

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegascpl:
It find this issue rather confusing and I would really appreciate someone tell me why it's even an issue. This is a real question. I really don't understand.

Here is why I ask the question. We like many of you have traveled all over Mexico. We've never had a problem even in rural areas or in Mexico City finding people who spoke English as well as Spanish. If you travel in Europe it really isn't a problem getting around all of those countries as most of those people speak several languages. France maybe the exception, they understand, they just might not tell you they do depending on your attitude.

We are going to spend the month of October in Europe. Half of the month will be on a Mediterranean cruise. Now just imagine if all countries around the world decided that their language is the only one that would be spoken while in their country. To do this trip we would have to learn: Spanish, German, Italian, Greek, and Turkish as well as probably several others.

There are a lot of European tourists in the states these days as the dollar has dropped like a rock during the Bush years. Are you saying they should not come here and spend their valuable Euros until they read and speak English only?

Tell me when this has ever been an issue for any of you personally, maybe that will help me understand? Are you upset because someone speaks another language at the table next to you while you are having lunch and you can't listen in? If you have employees and you have trouble communicating with them don't you think it's time to learn just a little a little of their language so you can? In my opinion, videos like this make us look stupid to the rest of the world. We appear arrogant. We expect everyone else in the world to learn our language but we are not willing or smart enough to learn theirs. Now if you tell me you live in Miami or LA I guess I understand. I'm just not sure why you don't make the effort to learn if it's important for you to do so.

There is one other issue. What do you do about the thousands of Americans who were born here and are illiterate? What do we do about American teens who think text messages are proper English?

Michael

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #11

As far as I know, the issue with language is not for visitors, but about citizens and illegal immigrants that live in this country. Tourists have never been "required" to speak English and I don't believe should be included in a discussion about speaking English in this country.

I live in the same state I was born in, California. It's a beautiful state and has lots to offer, as evidenced by the "herds" of people that have relocated here. Like many other people, I shop at places like Lowe's, Home Depot, WalMart and Vons. I pick up flyers to find out if there is anything I'd like to have. They are written in Spanish, not my first language. My first language is English and my second is American Sign Language. I drive down streets with billboards in Spanish and must ask to speak to someone on a "help line" that's speaks English. I believe it should be the other way around - English first and another language second. The ATM at my bank is in English and you must push a button for Spanish, a very good idea.

It's perfectly natural for any country to expect it's citizens to speak the language of that country, including the USA. I would expect nothing less in Germany, Japan, Mexico, etc. Most people you do business with in those countries are bi-lingual - their native language first and English second, because it's good for business! If I lived in another country, and I have friends that do, it would be imperative that I learn their language so that I would be able to communicate my needs. Why not expect the same in this country? It's agonizing to be in an ER and see the precious minutes wasted as a result of communication problems.

As to illiteracy, many organizations are trying to help in that regard and need volunteers. Text messaging is a foreign language to most of us. As a grandmother to 13, I'm doing my best to make sure mine understand the difference between their "new age shorthand" and proper English. I'm proud to say they all know the difference between the two.

Not sure how others feel about this issue and would be interested in their opinions. I will add, however, that anyone that waves a foreign flag above, or in place of, our "Stars and Stripes" needs to stop doing that or leave.
Sallys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:02 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I went to live in a foreign country, I'd strive to learn the language. Had friends that live in The Netherlands for 3 years. They sent their daughter to an English speaking school which was not free and they all learned to speak a fair amount of Dutch.

The big problem here along the Border is we are being flooded with illegal immigrants and they do not want to speak English or even learn. They expect the local schools and all of the government agencies to provide them everything in Spanish.

Unless you live in one of the border states, you may have a hard time understanding the local resentment. My wife speaks English,Spanish, French, a bit of German and some Japanese. I understand and speak a little Spanish.

My wife and I learned a more formal Spanish and the stuff spoken her is called Spanglish.

I feel is is important to be able to speak more than one language so tat we can all try to get along better. But do not go to another country and expect them bend over backwards to cater to your English or wave you Mother countries flag all over our flag or replace the U.S. flag.
Ken
Old 07-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #13

Ok, I can understand the frustration of having a hard time understanding the tech support people! The problem is that those people do not live the US. Those high tech US jobs have been outsourced to India.

Personally I can't get real excited about having to pushing a button at an ATM machine or answering machine to hear the message in Spanish or English. When I'm in another country I appreciate that courtesy and it only takes a second. Frankly my schedule is just not that tight.

As for doing business or working here for me it depends on what they are attempting to do. I would never expect to buy a car from someone who spoke anything but English. However, if the guy is mowing my lawn or washing my coach, how much is about all we need to say to each other. I might have to point to whatever I want done. We don't need to learn a second language to do that.

I think we all realize we have some huge problems in this country that need solutions. This English only campaign seems completely insignificant by comparison with say the war in Iraq and many other issues we face today. It reminds me of when we were pouring expensive French vodka and champaign down the drain because they would not follow us into Iraq. I know they felt so bad especially when we had to restock and order more.

It's also one of those things that will never change. Businesses want and need to do business with everyone. If that means having a button to push for those who speak Spanish, I'm guessing the successful businesses will keep the button and the millions of dollars in business it brings with it.

In my opinion you are a few years late if you are serious about English only. As our friend in Southern California can tell us there are shopping centers all over LA that contain not one word of English on their signs. If you don't speak Korean or whatever language it's in you'll have no idea what's in the shopping center. They've been that way for at least 30 years. I doubt seriously those signs will change anytime soon.

However, if this is something you want to loose sleep over, I guess it's as good as anything.

Michael

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 07-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegascpl:
Ok, I can understand the frustration of having a hard time understanding the tech support people! The problem is that those people do not live the US. Those high tech US jobs have been outsourced to India. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

India (pop. 1,100,000,000) is an English speaking country. English is the official language of India.

English is not the official language in the USA (pop. 300,000,000) because the USA has NO official language.

[Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_where_En...an_official_language ]

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote