Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #1

Progressive Insurance settlement

My cousin had his motorhome damaged in a hail storm, totaling about $13k. Progressive made the check out to him and the bank that has the lien. When he went to have the check endorsed at the back for deposit, the only option they gave him was to apply it to the loan. He asked the teller to check with the branch manager and the person confirmed that that was how they did it. They told him he could keep up to 4K for repairs but that was it.

That doesn’t seem right to me. He is now left with an RV that needs repair and has to pay out of pocket for the majority. Has anyone else had this experience?
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ins co should have made the check out to the owner and repair shop. That's hiw any repair I've ever had was handled.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The bank as the lien holder is also an owner so I don't think the insurance company did anything wrong.

However IMO the bank did as they should have made the entire settlement available to make the necessary repairs even if they insisted on disbursing the funds directly to the individual repair facilities.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #4

That should only occurre if the unit was totalled and obviously it was not. Check should have been written to him and the repair shop not the bank. What did the insurance company say about the way they wrote it. I hope he didn't cash it yet.
D&D Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

I just had to file a claim on our MH that I have a loan on from a bank. The check from the insurance company is made out to my DW and me and the repair facility.

It just doesn't seem right that the bank would take the funds unless the account is delinquent. And even then, you would only think the bank would require funds to get the account up to date. But...just my logic and 2 cents worth.

I'd suggest the rv owner have a meeting with the the loan manager or bank president and pursue getting an adjustment made. He should also check to see if the action taken is legal in the state of Colorado (assuming the bank is in Colorado).
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. He did deposit the check while there. He said that he would follow up as needed and then figure out what he was going to do. He has someone ready to repair the most necessary damage now.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Well, if he cashed the check, he is probably SOL. The check should have been written to him and the repair facility, not the bank.

I would be inclined to tell the bank to come pick up their damaged motorhome and when it was repaired, return it to me or they could keep it.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #8

IMO you should check your insurance policy and your loan agreement. Establish who is the policy holder and what is stated in the loan agreement and go from there. I know my insurance carrier only pays the policy holder.
If the insurance company made a mistake in paying the wrong entity, then you may have want to file a complaint with your State insurance commission, if you don't get satisfaction from your insurance carrier.

Hope you are successful.
MadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #9

what he should have done, is send the check back to Progressive and demand they make out the check properly, to the policy owner and the repair shop.

I just had my truck repaired from a minor collision, $4800 dent. Nationwide sent me a check within 24 hours of the report, my collision shop went to work right away, I took a check for $4300 ($500 deductible) to the shop and they just put it in my folder, they don't deposit it until the truck is complete.

Just send it back and ask for a new check as the repair shop wants to get paid too
Jmac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Was the vehicle totalled? If so, the check is made out to the lien holder and the owner. If not, the check is made out to the owner. Some shops want to be included on the check to protect their investment in the repair, but this is not required. The insurance policy is with the policy holder(s), no one else. The bank IS NOT an owner, they can't come over and take it for the weekend, like a partnership. They are a lien holder, and as such, have different rights, all stated exclusively in the loan contract.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #11

Insurance companies often put the check in the name of the insured and the lienholder.

The bank/finance company's only concern is that the repairs are made. Usually that would require a bank employee inspecting the repairs prior to signing off on the check.

If the bank is unable to do the inspection, maybe they could get the repair shop to transmit before and after pictures showing the repairs have been made. Then they should be willing to endorse the check.

Never should a bank demand funds intended to recondition their repairs go to the principal balance on the loan. That's not realistic.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance