Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #1

Gotta situation where the other half cannot be exposed to wood smoke. I have been racking my brain trying to come up with a workable solution. The thing that they have for sale at camping world is no bigger than a skillet! Just not good enough.

I was thinking of maybe taking a #1 galvanized wash tub to use as a base and then shopping at Wal-Mart for a replacement burner for a BBQ and adding some fireplace glo-logs.

Anybody got ideas or experience?

Free2RV
Free2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #2

Gotta situation where the other half cannot be exposed to wood smoke. I have been racking my brain trying to come up with a workable solution. The thing that they have for sale at camping world is no bigger than a skillet! Just not good enough.

I was thinking of maybe taking a #1 galvanized wash tub to use as a base and then shopping at Wal-Mart for a replacement burner for a BBQ and adding some fireplace glo-logs.

Anybody got ideas or experience?

Free2RV
Free2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:25 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
The regular gas logs you buy and put in a fire place would make a great camp fire.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
paz

Don't forget a pressure regulator and some sort on shut off/volume control valve.

The advantage of the ready-made units is that they are compact and easy to store in your RV. I have the gas Campfire in a Can. It is small, but it puts out a nice flame and a fair amount of heat. One thing I like about this one is that it does not use vermiculite, which can spill and blow around in the wind.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ya got a great idea, if you have room to carry it and all that goes with it. With all the restrictions about ground fires, it seems like a good idea to have a propane sourced fire. We use a round cooker bought at the Tampa RV show. It can cook in many different configurations. We use it for a fire by removing all the cooking stuff and placin some artifical logs in a stack over the burner. Does a great job. When we are done, just turn off the propane and latch the cover over the hot logs. Everything is safe and secure.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:39 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, the nasty side of me says it would be better to get a wife without the limitation. (I know, NASTY)

Your idea sounds like a pretty good alternative. BUT, the flames won't come above the tub lip unless you either cut aportion away or raise up the logs/features.

Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:50 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As near as I can tell the "Campfire in a Can" in Paz's post is larger the the unit sold at Camping World.
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cvrvr:
As near as I can tell the "Campfire in a Can" in Paz's post is larger the the unit sold at Camping World. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was at the Camping World in Tampa last week and I believe they had two Campfire in a Can units on the shelf next to the checkout with the propane grills and such.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:45 AM   #9

I seen a fake fire made with a fan and red paper as it waves in the wind from the fan people sat and were rubbing there hands COLD?or was there a warm air comming from the fan I did not ask.I like the smell of wood.But thats just My .02 Bushman
Old 04-22-2007, 04:18 AM   #10
paz

A number of states are asking campers NOT to carry in their own firewood and to use only local wood in order to help prevent transporting insects. This means you will have to hunt around the local area for a source of wood. Some camping areas have a lot of locals selling firewood and some don't. Using our propane campfire means we can have a fire if we want even if we pull in late.

I prefer the smell of real wood smoke too, but not if it's blowing directly into my face or into my rig.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:50 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Nothing beats the smell, heat, and appearance of a real wood fire, but in times when a wood fire isn't practical such as allergy or ban on burning, I think the propane ones are a great idea. We've run into campgrounds that don't allow wood fires and also some that don't allow transportation of wood due the spread of the ash borer beetle.

Over the last several weeks, I've been doing a lot of reading up on the various ones offered. I think there's over a dozen varieties and styles made. Some fires are made to look more realistic, others are designed for easy carrying and portablility. Still others are designed for more heat.

Personally, I havn't bought one yet, but I'm planning on getting the Campfire in a can because of it's portability and the fact that I havn't found another with as high of BTU output. The 64,000 BTU is nearly triple that of other units and if I want an outdoor fire and can't have a wood one, I want it because I need some heat
Old 04-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe-K:
Over the last several weeks, I've been doing a lot of reading up on the various ones offered. I think there's over a dozen varieties and styles made. Some fires are made to look more realistic, others are designed for easy carrying and portablility. Still others are designed for more heat.

Personally, I havn't bought one yet, but I'm planning on getting the Campfire in a can because of it's portability and the fact that I havn't found another with as high of BTU output. The 64,000 BTU is nearly triple that of other units and if I want an outdoor fire and can't have a wood one, I want it because I need some heat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMO the Campfire in a Can is one of the best for portability because, as I mentioned in my previous post, it does not use vermiculite which can spill or blow away in the wind. Not only that, but the hose wraps neatly around the base for storage and the lid covers everything.

The Campfire in a Can definitely puts out the heat. We have never used ours with the valve more than about half open.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
I agree Camp Fire in a Can
I see now there is one out there exactly like CFIAC, I wonder what the differances are ? At the Monot ND FMCA rally I spoke to the guy who designed and built the CFIAC, he said he spent a lot of time adjusting his fire to look real, the proper colors. I think he did it just right, it looks like a wood fire. I wonder if ya like the smell of wood, that a few wood chips for smoking meats would do the trick ?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I too am considering a camp fire in a can. We have found ourselves not able to have a good fire because the wood is wet or other various reasons. I like the idea of using wood for smoked meats to add some smell. Would love to know if anyone has tried that?
somarmd is offline   Reply With Quote