Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Who said it wasn't legal?

BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
BTW, it is illegal to carry a gun into State Parks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true in every state...If you have a CCW you may carry in Virgina state parks. You may NOT carry on federal parkways (Blue Ridge parkway).. Also don't think that going to one RAD class will train you to handle all bad situtions. People who train for months can still freeze up when they are attack. I recommend getting into a self defense class and practice, practice, and more practice. You have to get to the point that it comes second nature to you. If you have to stop and think then you're in trouble. If a self defense class isn't possible then a shot gun does wonders. It's easier to hit with then a hand gun and it does get a lot of respect. Try a 12 ga with a recoil pad then practice shooting often.

cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
All bets are off if you bring a shotgun into NJ.

NJ's anti-gun lawmakers view a pistol grip on a shotgun as an 'assault weapon'. Also there are magazine size limits and ammo restrictions.

My weekly local newspaper's police blotter usually has one or two law abiding citizens from out of state who get pulled over for a moving violation and then have a gun charge lumped in for good measure.

Get the books listed in a previous link and make sure you know what you can bring in to every state.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVThere:
All bets are off in you bring a shotgun into NJ.

NJ's anti-gun lawmakers view a pistol grip on a shotgun as an 'assault weapon'. Also there are magazine size limits and ammo restrictions.

My weekly local newspaper's police blotter usually has one or two law abiding citizens from out of state who get pulled over for a moving violation and then have a gun charge lumped in for good measure.

Get the books listed in a previous link and make sure you know what you can bring in to every state. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is why I try to stay out of the "Peoples Republic of New Jersey".
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
If I can get to New York to visit my other son without going through New Jersey, I can't imagine why I'd ever GO to New Jersey so I'm safe on that front. Going to try out a pistol grip shotgun. Don't think I'm strong enough to handle it but going to give it a "shot" . . . LOL!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #20

My cousin from FL lost his hunting rifles to Indiana when he made a quickie run to pick up his then girl-friend and forgot he had them in his window mounted gun rack. Never did get them back since they "lost" them.

As far as a gun and me... I'm blind without my contacts and I don't sleep in contacts either. I would not be able to see an open door much less a person walking up on me at night. I also figure that since I could have never killed any of my pets, then it's a pretty safe bet that I couldn't kill a human. I try to stay in places with a lower incidence of danger and to be aware of my surroundings. BTW, we carry a 45 that my Dad used to own (left to us). It's unloaded. David wouldn't want me to accidentally shoot him.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #21

A S&W short barrel 32 is a great gun. I keep it in a lock box unloaded under the bed in the MH.

A good friend is one that will help you dispose of a body.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If a shotgun is not one of your favorite firearms and you are contemplating one to keep inside your coach, may is suggest that you consider a double barrel as opposed to a pump. The double barrel is the meanest looking firearm you can get and two rounds will probably clear the situation. (A pump is the meanest sounding one going. Now, if they ever come out with a double barrel pump . . . ) You don't have to worry about racking a round in or fumbling for the slide release or safety. I personally like the exposed hammers (aka "rabbit ears") so looking into those barrels can easily see that they are cocked and they are 1/4 inch finger pull away from being history. If you go the pump route, I recommend the Remington 870. It's a mighty fine weapon.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #23

hi i agree with above posts, we pack but the best thing to pack is a shotgun short barrel. we have a mossburg 500 and keep it loaded with slugs and double ought buckshot good for alaskan bear to two legged varmits have never had to use it or flash but if wife is threatened would use but pray need never arrives. we snowbird through canada every year no problem just buy the premit, but no short guns through canada. but the most important thing is if it doesent feel right or safe move on.just my ideas
Old 09-20-2008, 04:07 AM   #24
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Fortunately, 99.9999999% of us have/will never had a problem, and this is discussion academic.

However, as member Doc Mark used to note in his signature, "When seconds count, the police are minutes away".

It never hurts to be prepared.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #25

There is some truth to that.....

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #26

Graciesmom, a pistol-grip shotgun is viewed as an offensive weapon by most police departments, while a shoulder-stock is not. You may however, legally shorten the stock to a length barely long enough to fit to your shoulder, then replace/re-fit the butt pad. The only legal requirement is that the barrel must be a minimum of 18", with an overall length minimum of 26".
Whatever you choose to possess/ carry, please graduate from accredited gun training and safety courses! May I suggest a book to read? In The Gravest Extreme, by Massad F. Ayoob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Forest Grump:
A S&W short barrel 32 is a great gun. I keep it in a lock box unloaded under the bed in the MH.
<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Would you please explain the practicality of that action? All self-defense weapons training courses discourage buying a 25 or 32 caliber because of the lack of penetration. wound and terminal ballistics</span>

A good friend is one that will help you dispose of a body. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Just to confirm my previous post about bringing a gun into NJ.

From this past Thursday's Hunterdon County Democrat 'Public Safety Report' for Clinton Township. (and trust me, this is the rural part of the state where Republicans rule and people hunt):

Police say they found a handgun loaded with hollow-point bullets during a vehicle stop on Sunday at about 2am on Route 173 near Center Street.

Patrolman Drew MacQueen said he saw a holstered handgun between the feet of Julio Fred, 32, of Readington, PA. The S&W .45-cal semi-automatic was loaded with hollow-point bullets, police said, and an additional magazine nearby also contained hollow-point bullets.

Although Mr. Fred PRODUCED A VALID PA FIREARMS LICENSE, he was NOT LICENCED IN NJ. He was charged with unlawful possenssion of a handgun, possession of hollow-point bullets, failure to stay in a lane, and having an unclear license plate. He was released after the handgun and ammunition were confiscated.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Would you please explain the practicality of that action? All self-defense weapons training courses discourage buying a 25 or 32 caliber because of the lack of penetration. wound and terminal ballistics </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm from the South Side of Chicago when "hits" were rampant and the gun of choice was a 22LR with a single shot to the back of the head. The bullet would bounce back and forth making brain juice. The distant second weapon of choice was a 12 g with 00 to the thigh, let them bleed out.

In the famous bank shoot out in LA thousands of rounds of high powered rifles and hand guns were shot with no deaths. A well placed 22LR to the head would have done the job. The two bad guys were finally done in one by a self inflicted shot under the jaw and the other to the legs and time.

I have a 20 gauge pump with slugs, 9 mm with 17 rounds, 45 with 12, a 22 with 20 rounds and I choose the 32. Oh I also have a 44 revolver - black powder where the noise alone might do the job. I can get a cylinder for the 44 which would allow 44 rounds, now that would be nasty.