Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow....that doesn't look like my Dad's Navy Uniform......Congratulations !
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congratulations. I know you are proud of his accomplishment.

It's also nice to see that the USMC Uniform is becoming more of an issue for other services. If we could see his trousers (pants for navy folk) they would be black or Navy Blue, and the service cap is black.

Give him a big Semper Fi for me.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #17

Congrats Ken from a retired Sailor. Also guys Navy is now wearing a type of Blue cammies. No more dungarees. Also my neighbor at the stick house. She looks really good in the new cammies.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #18

Congratulations to your son. Thank him for me for serving his country.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #19

Congratulations to your son and you the proud father. I went to Great Lakes in Dec of 74. It was cold and snowy hopefully it was warm when he was there.
AB7OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #20

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Quick update on where he's been. Due to OPSEC, he can only share past experience, not future plans. He reported to the USS ANZIO in early May and deployed shortly after that. Crossed the Atlantic and made a refueling stop in Augusta, Sicily, Italy. There was no liberty there. They then headed up to the Black Sea with stops (and liberty) in Varna, Bulgaria; Odessa, Ukraine and Batumi, Georgia. Batumi was his favorite so far. His ship also participated in a multi-national exercise called Sea Breeze 2011 held in the Black Sea. The last I heard, they went through the Suez Canal, not sure where they're headed next??

Talk about "Join the Navy, see the world!"

One thing that may surprise Navy vets is how good communication is nowadays. There are several computers and phones available at no charge on the ship. They have an unwritten rule of limiting your calls to 15 minutes if others are waiting. I usually hear from him a couple of times a week. He took his personal laptop ashore and a McDonald's in Odessa had free WiFi, I was able to see and chat with him on Skype.

He's had his moments of homesickness (and one battle with seasickness shortly after leaving Norfolk in 10 foot seas) BUT he's learning a lot, getting qualified on new equipment and procedures and becoming part of the team. Needless to say, I'm extremely proud of him!
Old 06-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
"following seas"
Cdr USN ret
Attached Images

mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Alright Ken!! I have a nephew that will graduate from the Naval Academy at Annapolis in a few more months. He is trying to figure out if he wants to be a lifer after his commitment is up. Right now he wants to get married and does not see the Navy in his future. I am hoping we can change his mind about the Navy - marriage will be OK.
He has a long time to decide. When I first went in, I hated it. But after being in a while, matured a bit, given more responsibility, a tour in VN...I decided to stay.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ken-55........ Please send my thanks to your son for his service to my great country. Tell him to keep a diary and take lots of pictures of the places he goes and the ship he may serve on. This is the one thing that I did not do while I was in the Navy and I have regretted this ever since I got out. Your memory fades and you forget but a diary and pix will keep everything fresh.
God bless your son and all our troops regardless of color or stripe....

Fair winds and smooth seas to him and all who serve ........
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote