Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #43
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why couldn't the MFg just say how many inches front to back, side to side.

So let's see. My wheel base is 242" and when I measured the slope between the two points it was about 8 inches. So is that approximately 2 degrees based on .0350 pitch per inch?

I got an A in college algebra. Sure can't tell it. Never did take geometry or trig. To dumb.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Since I flunked out of first grade, I just used the manufacturers recommendation that if you're comfortable walking/living in your RV, so is your fridge.
Correct...some are way over thinking this subject.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You're making my brain hurt....

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #46

National RV Owners Club
a=b x tangent A

a= 480 x tangent of 3 degrees

a= 480 x .052

24.96" = 480 x .052
Old 03-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #47

They do make angle finders, no math needed. Sears, Lowes , Home Depot.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Route 66
Since I flunked out of first grade, I just used the manufacturers recommendation that if you're comfortable walking/living in your RV, so is your fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Correct...some are way over thinking this subject.
I agree, however a good question was posed and a proper answer was asked for. We're just trying to give that proper answer.

Wayne, not sure where you got that .0350 . As well, while it would seem to apply the wheelbase is not relitive to the question. The Important distance is the overall length of the coach, bumper to bumper inorder to get an appreciation of the angles you mentioned in your first post, those being 6 degrees front to back, and 3 degrees side to side. What your manufacturer is saying is that your fridge has to be within those paramiters to work correctly. In other words, if your coach was out of level by greater than 6 deg side to side or greater than 3 deg front to back, remember your fridge is turned 90deg from your coach, your fridge wouldn't work, and has been stated by others here your coach would be uncomfortable just to be in.

So to recap the math.
.2096 is a constant. It is the rise at the end of 1ft at one deg. That will never change. Going to a larger angle simply means that you multiply that angle by the constant of .2096 . So, 6 deg is 6 x .2096 = 1.2576inches. Using that number multiply it by the width of your coach, 8ft, We now have 1.2576 x 8 = 10.0608 inches. That means that if your coach had a differance of 10 inches or less in height side to side your fridge would still work.
3 deg is the front to back of the coach angle, the side to side of the fridge is actually the front to back of the coach because the fridge is turned 90deg to the coach.
Therefore, its 3 x .2096 = .6288inches. Over a distance of 40ft equals a rise of 25.152 inches. Which means that your coach can have a differance in front to back bumper height of 25inches, anything greater than that and your fridge won't work.

A couple of points to keep in mind. The paramiters given by the manufacturer are outside limits.
If your useing your levelers we're not actually talking about the angle of your coach but rather the lay of the land under it. I'm not sure that a leveling system could compensate for that large a variance, especially considering that hanging under the coach are the tires.

After all that it should be clear as mud.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #49
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Okay! So I have to admit that although I passed basic college algebra and business math, my mathematical genius is missing.

I keep reading in different RV manuals about not exceeding this degree or that degree, like the refrigerator should be within 6 degrees front to back, and 3 degrees side to side. (Did I get that right) And then I read in the leveling system manual that the "Typical coach level capability is 0.3 degrees from side to side and front to rear."

So can someone equate those numbers to inches on a coach with a 242" wheelbase and overall length of 40 feet.

Engineers and math professor's most welcome to answer - please.
Let's get off the refrigerator thing, please. It was just a reference. I am well aware that if you are comfortable walking then the refrigerator will not care. The above is my original post. As I stated, I keep reading that RV manuals have indicated that certain things should be within certain degrees. Doesn't matter what the heck it is - read the post. It is "like the ref......", and more specifically, which I don't understand why. "Typical coach level capability is 0.3 degrees......"

So my question is basically, how does one equate degrees to inches.

I do have an angle finder. The base is 3-1/2 inches, and the right angle is 3". When placed on an object the little dial give the degrees.

On the back is a chart that reads Angle in Degrees, Pitch per inch, and Pitch per foot. here are the numbers.

1 - .0175 - .210
2 - .0350 - .420
3 - .0525 - .630
4 - .0700 - .840
5 - .0875 - 1.050
6 - 1.050 - 1.260

and so forth.

I'm presently parked in my driveway and I am up on blocks because of the 8" difference (approx) from back to front (back at ground zero, front 8" lower (wheel base). I think the overall driveway drop is about 23 or so inches. Not really comfortable to maneuver in. Now, when I put the angle finder on a very straight run of molding on the outside, it reads "0"(zero) but, my 12" level that I use all the time sitting in the same place is almost a full bubble off. Because I am up on ramps I cannot use my jacks without putting a lot of blocks, like about 8" to bring the stroke of the jack up to "tire" height. I'm not level, but the angle indicator says "zero" degrees.

Don't speak "refrigerators" it is not about refrigerators, that was just a "like" statement that manufacturers use degrees instead of inches in their manuals.

Darn! I have never, ever been in a campground there a 6 degree slope equalling 25 inches was where I parked. That's ridiculous, nor have I ben 11 inches side to side. The jacks just will not handle that. But I do have blocks I can run up on.

See where I'm going? Sorry I'm so darn confused.

I'm going to bed. tomorrow I will give the exact drop from front to rear of coach, and for the entire driveway. Then I would like it converted to degrees.
P l e a s e? Pretty.....nah - not going to beg.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #50

Guys - it's not this hard. Use Google to do the calculation (and unit conversion) for you...

Reposting a prior post of mine...
------------
Pretty much the manuals today say 6degrees front-back 3degrees side-side looking at the refer.

This means on our 102inch wide rigs the 6degree refer front-back translates into 102in * sin(6degree) = 10 inches of "unlevel" (left-to-right) on the rig. That is a lot!

And the 3degree refer side-to-side translates into-
- for a 30ft rig it means 30ft * sin3degrees = 1.5 feet of front to back rig unlevel which is huge
- for a 40ft rig it means 40ft * sin3degrees = a whopping 2 ft of rig front to back unlevel.

As is frequently said above, if you are uncomfortable, you can bet that the refer is still within tilt spec.

FWIW - You can type equations into Google and it will calculate them for you. Try typing "40 ft * sin 3 degrees in in" (or ft or mm or miles or smoots or whatever unit you want the result to be computed in) and click search. Likewise type into Google search box "102 in * sin 6 degrees in in"
Old 03-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What if you have a crooked bumper?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #52

National RV Owners Club
480 is not correct , You need the distance from the rear axle to the front bumper. bumper

Replace the 480 with that Measurement.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'm going to bed. tomorrow I will give the exact drop from front to rear of coach, and for the entire driveway. Then I would like it converted to degrees.
P l e a s e? Pretty.....nah - not going to beg.
Wayne if you have the "drop" and the "distance" for that drop (and BOTH are in the same units, like inches or feet) then the following Google "search" will yield the answer in degrees:

"tan(drop / length) in degrees" will give you the degrees....

If you have differing measures Google will handle that as well by typing in the units used to measure as follows

"tan (drop inches / length feet) in degrees" will allow you to enter the drop in inches and the length in feet and Google will do the rest for you. For example "tan ( 10 inches / 40 feet) in degrees" will yield 1.19 degrees.

Warning math content: And for the purists, it really won't make any meaningful difference which of the two possible ways Wayne can measure "length." The tan function will give working results even if he measures the length in such a way that would be more correctly expressed as cos.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #54

Just realized my spell checker cut the "arc" off what should be "arctan" instead of "tan" in my prior post (and of course the arc got cut from what should be arccos in that post). However, for the small angles we are talking that technicality will make little difference.

To find the angle of a height and length measurement (in the same units) the Google search box formula to use is

"arctan(drop / length) in degrees" will give you the degrees....

if you have differing units type the Google search like this example

"arctan ( 12 inches / 40 feet ) in degrees" to get the angle in degrees
Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anybody got some aspirin? Or maybe a few beers would work.

Too much math = headache.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #56
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ottffss,
Thanks for the formula. I'll be measuring in a few minutes.

I took 800mg of Ibuprofen to ease the headache and other pains.