Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #1

Purchase prescription drugs in Mexico?

I'm 61, retired with a $12K family deductible health policy. Wife and I are both healthy so it is more for potential catastrophic costs than anything. I do have a couple of prescripts I'd like to fill (epi pen and another "optional" scrip). But they are ridiculously expensive locally. In a little over a month we'll be RVing in AZ and Southern CA. Anyone found reputable, affordable pharmacies near the border? Any ideas are appreciated!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Mike: I have been wondering the same thing. Have one "comfort" RX that is somewhat optional, but one that I should be taking -- but WOW the cost! And then I need to get a blood test every 6 months in order for the RX to even be written (the RX has not changed in over 20 years for me). There's gotta be a better way to do this! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We buy prescription drugs in Algodones as required. IMO the drugs there are a good as anywhere else. Most of the drug companies have plants in Mexico so the drugs we get at home are the same as we buy in the Mexican pharmacy, just different packaging.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Gordon: Are you buying them over-the-counter, or with a written prescription? I assume that they are less expensive, right? Thanks for the quick response! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #5

Gordon or Janet,
Do you use your prescripts from your US Doctor or you getting a prescript from a Doc in Mexico?
I remember some years ago my Wife's parents getting their meds in Nogales... I should have paid more attention to the process they used.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought generic Prilosec in Los Algondones -- $3 for 120 capsules and generic Cymbalta online from www.Healthwarehouse.com cheaper than my insurance copay. You can also get info on Rx prices at Prices, Coupons and Information - GoodRx which is where I found Health Warehouse. I've also bought drugs online from Canada.

I have always had a written Rx from my US doctor. There are MANY ways to go cheaper safely. You just have to do research.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #7

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/mexico-medical
BCRacing24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Gordon: Are you buying them over-the-counter, or with a written prescription? I assume that they are less expensive, right? Thanks for the quick response! \ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudntherd View Post
Gordon or Janet,
Do you use your prescripts from your US Doctor or you getting a prescript from a Doc in Mexico?
I remember some years ago my Wife's parents getting their meds in Nogales... I should have paid more attention to the process they used.
If you know the name of the drug you want they will sell it to you over the counter if they have it with or without a prescription. It may not be the brand name you are used to but the chemical name will be the same.

There are a number of prohibited drugs that BP will not allow into the US without a DR prescription. One that comes to mind is Tramadol. We have been warned by the druggist when the drug we want is prohibited. I am not sure if this extends to all of the drugstores (there are a lot) but the ones we deal with do warn us.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #9

I do it all the time. Tijuana. Some meds require a script, most not. My health ins went up 42% this year.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #10

Prescription prices vary a lot and what is charged s whatever the pharmacy thinks t can get away with Since the majority of prescriptions have some sort of health coverage that pays for the bulk of the medicine at prices negotiated by the insurance companies, the retail price of drungs isn't set or regulated.

I have one prescription that my insurance won't cover. It's not an uncommon one. I priced it at Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS, Target, and Walmart. $165 to $194 for a 30-day supply. The highest price was Walmart, and in spite their claiming to be "the low price leader" doesn't price match medications. Mr doctor suggested I try a local, independent pharmacy. In spite of their not having the bulk buying power of the big guys, the same prescription cost me $15 retail. $179 less than Walmart.

It pays to shop around.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I was paying 1.35 per tablet for Prevacid. Went to Los Algodones and bought 56 tablets for 4.35.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for a ton of great info! Anyone have specific recommendations for pharms to check out or stay away from in Los Algodones? We'll be there probably around late January.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Dont know any to stay away from. Does pay to shop around.

Purple pharmacy seems to be popular but a bit higher than some of the smaller ones. You will recognize the purple pharmacy when you cross over. Painted purple.

There will be many hawkers trying to get your attention.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD1 View Post
Thanks everyone for a ton of great info! Anyone have specific recommendations for pharms to check out or stay away from in Los Algodones? We'll be there probably around late January.
When they tell you the price tell them "thanks, I'm going to check the price at another pharmacy". They will usually quote you a better price rather than lose your business. The 2 biggest pharmacies are the purple and the yellow pharmacy, but there are LOTS of smaller ones, too.

Don't let the guys just inside the gate drag you someplace you don't want to go. I found walking down the middle of the street easier than on the sidewalks when I knew where I was going.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, scr