Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Purging the motorhome ...

Our Class A gasser is going into the shop next week and will probably be there for a couple of weeks. While I have a laundry list of "wants", I am sure that some of list will remain for next time.

I'm hoping to get a few things fixed under our "extended" warranty plan, and then some other repairs done while its in. It's heading off to a friends body shop for the work - he runs a great repair business, but is also a well known restorer of classic cars, race cars and even one-off prototypes.

What I'm hoping that he and his team will have time to take on for us is some of our underside rust. Yes that nasty four letter word. We have some on our basement storage bays (some spots rusted through) as well as some rusty and in places, rusted through tubes under the floor in the front cab area.

Note to self or other prospective motorhome buyers, get an independent inspection. We bought from a dealer and had a safety inspection there and I crawled through, above and under before we bought it *BUT* the rust problem that we have ... that was covered up with a pretty thick coating of undercoating spray - which over the last year or so is just flaking off because the underlying rust was not fixed first.

We can't say who did this - the dealer to hide it, or the previous owner before trade in - but someone did it before we looked at it, and now it's our problem. Oh well, live and learn

So anyway, I've been spending the day winterizing, emptying out the basement bays, taking out all the perishables and liquids to prevent any winter freeze surprises and now the DW wants to empty the whole thing - " "let's purge it all and bring it in the house. We're carrying things we don't need to"

Ok I agree that we have some things we don't usually use, but that's understandable as we have spent more time in the motorhome over the last 3 years than we've spent in the S&B.

But now ... where are we going to put all the motorhome stuff? We have duplicates of mostly everything and we're pretty packed in the house already. Not to mention that we're trying to finish up renovations that we started 3 years ago before our RV adventures started.

I think that by the time the RV is done in the shop in a few weeks, that she may be ready to pack it up again, lock the doors on the S&B and head off again - somewhere.

I'm thinkin' it's starting to look like and long, and cramped winter - and we're not even in the RV this time.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #2

Your "purging" should be performed anyway. If you haven't used something in the last year why haul it around?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ray,

Agreed ... we have removed unnecesary stuff a number of times ... typically we do this at least once a year. This time it's a complete emptying of the motorhome and refilling from "scratch".

We're nearly empty now - getting ready to bring it to the shop. It should be an fun ride to the shop - I am sure I will feel the "lightness" of the motorhome with only me and a full load of fuel.

I think the only real challenge with loading it back up will be making sure we remember all the small and not regularly used stuff -- I'm hoping we don't have too many of those "darn, I forgot we took that out" moments when we head out again.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I will tell you how I purged ours. I pulled everything nonperishable out on the driveway and sorted it. Used it or not? If not I took it in the house to one bedroom for a yard sale later. The stuff we used went back in the mh. I do this once a year because we tend to find treasures LOL on the road. Works for me.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome