Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Putting your Rig to sleep for Winter

Hello,

I live in MI where we experience winter and snow! YUCK! So 2 weeks ago we winterized the MH and put it in covered storage to protect it from the environment.

This was our first year owning a rig and we didn't get to use it as much as we wanted to because I am still w--king and spend a lot of weekends there.

I went and visited it already and just to make sure it was ok. It's going to be a LONG winter! I figure late April or earlier if it gets nice early and I will be wanting to wake her up as fast as I can.

How many of you are in the same shoes? When retirement comes I will not be here in winter and we won't be winterizing it again, we will be driving it South to somewhere warm. So until then, sorry to all who would prefer (like us) to be camping. You're strong and can get through this, I keep telling myself that.

Until Spring, goodnight sweet rig, good sleep. Lynne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frankenmuth CG.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	110100  

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
In the process of winterizing too, but to make matters worse our MH sets right beside the garage ALL WINTER where it just haunts me till spring.

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
D Lindy,

I hear ya, I could cry.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've only had ours for 3 weeks. Made two trips and tomorrow it goes in for a replacement roof a/c and winterization.

Then in to covered storage. I'll probably only get to visit it once or twice until spring.

Hopefully next winter I'll have my own on site inside storage. Then at least I can go sit in it.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #5

I winterized 2 wks ago. It sits in the back yard, under a tarp, where I can see it every day. We've had it almost 5 yrs and this summer was the least we've ever used it..... only got out 1 time. Our schedules just didn't allow it.

But, we're trying to hang tuff....... only two more winters here and we'll be watching it snow from under a palm tree on the local news cast.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Gosh I feel guilty.. Living in Texas we get to use ours usually up until jan/Feb before we get a bad freeze. Now that I said that just watch, it will freeze early!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #7

Well... I'm just down the road from you and I still haven't winterized just yet.. Hoping to get another trip in next weekend... THEN, I'll need to put it to bed...

We did the calculations.. and it looks like we logged 32 nights in the RV.. this is our second year in a row of having 30+ nights..

beamisl, you need to step away from the desk... lifes too short to let work get in your way...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We (actually I) were hoping to get a few more days in but that will not be happening! We just got back from a trip to Asheville, NC and Tennessee. Great trip! We hit Mama Gerties!

But now we are unpacking and will winterize this weekend, cover it and wait for spring.
On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Winter , nah not in Texas we can run all year except summer time ... too dang hot ; but we roll the rest of the year ! lol
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I am in Michigan also. We can get on the road in March sometimes, but have to head south into Indiana to find an open campground. Like Beamisl, I am still working. A couple of more years and I will be retired and travelling. Works takes up too much of my recreation time these days!
Old 10-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #11

Retired but still like some winter. Camper now sits on a new parking pad so I just see the corner out of the family room window... I expect we will head south sometime in March depending on the weather. try to miss mud season in NY. ;-) Can only do ~6 weeks at a time because of Doctor visits.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Hello,

I live in MI where we experience winter and snow! YUCK! So 2 weeks ago we winterized the MH and put it in covered storage to protect it from the environment.

This was our first year owning a rig and we didn't get to use it as much as we wanted to because I am still w--king and spend a lot of weekends there.

I went and visited it already and just to make sure it was ok. It's going to be a LONG winter! I figure late April or earlier if it gets nice early and I will be wanting to wake her up as fast as I can.

How many of you are in the same shoes? When retirement comes I will not be here in winter and we won't be winterizing it again, we will be driving it South to somewhere warm. So until then, sorry to all who would prefer (like us) to be camping. You're strong and can get through this, I keep telling myself that.

Until Spring, goodnight sweet rig, good sleep. Lynne
We are in the same situation. DH will retire May 2017. If all goes according to plan, we will head south that November. Until then we have to winterize and just wish it would get here sooner.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello All,

Seems like a few of us are in the same boat. Live in a winter state, love our RVs, and waiting for retirement.

I think all of us that can will retire ASAP because we understand how much fun awaits us with our rigs. Spring will be here before we know it and Texas is one of the places I will be visiting because my sister lives there but I will never be there in the summer because it is too darn HOT!

The perfect step is up here in the summer and South (East or West) in the winter. Brother in North Carolina so we will be traveling one place or the other when 2017 hits.

Like all of you, I look forward to Spring. Lynne
Old 10-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I met a man from Mina-soda last week down in South Texas , nice guy... said he stays in south Texas from oct to april and returns to mini-soda ....every year for the last 4 years he has .. He said he would never spend another winter there in minesoda .. as long as he lives.... I said well I'm feeling the same way about Texas summers !!! LOL

Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter