Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
From the USGS web site:
"East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast."

From what I have learned, the New Madrid Fault in the Missouri area along the Mississippi River is what really has scientists concerned.

A quake there could really be the Big One.

Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #16

Last week we read about a little bit of activity off the Oregon coast near Newport. A reported 600 tremors had been doing there thing in the last 10 days. I think that where you are this might also be of some interest. thanks again. One question we are new to the forum and want to know how you put the U.S. map of states that you have traveled to on your posting. Safe and new adventures to all.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast."

From what I have learned, the New Madrid Fault in the Missouri area along the Mississippi River is what really has scientists concerned.

A quake there could really be the Big One. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pretty timely post, Ding-A-Ling! I live in Central Illinois, and our windows have been rattling, since 4:37 AM, this morning.
This the a "gift" from the New Madrid fault. The first quake was a 5.2, centered around West Salem, Ill.The second was a 4.2.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by apackof2:
A 6.7 TEMBLOR PREDICTED TO HIT WITHIN 30 YEARS, STUDY SAYS
There is a 99.7 percent chance that a major temblor will strike the Golden State in the next 30 years...
California has had more than a half dozen of them in the past 30 years.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. I need this guy's job. Dude is willing to lay odds that something that has happened "more than a half dozen" times in the past thirty years is going to happen again within the next thirty. I think that is about as gutsy as me saying "I predict that I will be putting diesel in my tank within the next month".

I need to get into the earthquake forecasting business.

--kevin

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #19

I was in LA when the 6.7 hit in '87. I FREAKED out. All the natives thought I was crazy. But it was just too much for me. We left CA in two months. I've never regretted that move. If you can't stand the heat (or the shakin') get out of the area. All areas have threats - tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards. You have to pick what you think you can deal with. I can know a hurricane is coming and prepare. I can never really know when that earthquake is going to hit. And I can't take that.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have lived all over the country and each area has is own perils. For example, Arizona has extreme heat part of the year, Florida has hurricanes, Iowa has snow drifts up to your belt and Calif has the shakes.

Being RVers, BW & I live the winters in AZ and the summers in the northlands.

Ain't it grand.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trailering texan:
I was in LA when the 6.7 hit in '87. I FREAKED out. All the natives thought I was crazy. But it was just too much for me. We left CA in two months. I've never regretted that move. If you can't stand the heat (or the shakin') get out of the area. All areas have threats - tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards. You have to pick what you think you can deal with. I can know a hurricane is coming and prepare. I can never really know when that earthquake is going to hit. And I can't take that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We lived in Granada Hills when the Northridge quake hit. We had a lot of damage as we were very near (blocks away) from where the energy came to the surface.

I would rather have a quake than a hurricane. See, all your stuff still gets broken but in an earthquake you know where it is. I never had to look miles away in a neighbors' tree for anything.
Duffy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Hmmmmmmm.......
Livin in michigan mosta my life (except for a few years wearin a funny blue uniform with bell bottoms) I have to ask.....What is this earth quake thingy? or for that matter big forrest/brush fires and mud slides? Maby y'all aut ta move to the great lakes state an experience only unemployment?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would rather have a quake than a hurricane. See, all your stuff still gets broken but in an earthquake you know where it is. I never had to look miles away in a neighbors' tree for anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Over here it's called "urban renewal". Hurricanes do give you plenty of time to duck or get gone.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:06 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:

Over here it's called "urban renewal". Hurricanes do give you plenty of time to duck or get gone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh -- duck or get gone -- hope that catches on further west along the Gulf Coast.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
There were two 5+ earthquakes in northern California when I was there in late May/early June of this year. I was there for a relatively large one in 1980. I don't like them - and it saddens me - because if there's anywhere I would like to settle down, it would be on the Oregon or northern California coast. Tsunamis scare the heck out of me . . .so I don't plan to be trying to paddle the RV in case of an earthquake. It may not happen in my lifetime - or it may. But I'm not a gambler . . . .