Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
Question for early retirees.

Did you budget for another RV in your retirement or did you retire with what you thought was your last RV? We are 51 and 50 and can retire from DW's job at 55 with benefits including access to company health insurance which is the deciding factor for us. We have a paid for 2014 gas MH now but ideally would like to have a DP when we really hit the road. I realize a gas coach will go anywhere a diesel will go but I don't see us living in this coach for the next 20 yrs if we live that long and decide to fulltime that long as well. We were discussing this today, do we buy our last MH now and get it paid for by retirement or do we sit pat and budget for a new DP or gas coach post retirement? Just wondering what other people have done and experienced. Thanks in advance.

Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our budget is such that we can easily pay for the present rig and stick house out of cash if we wanted, but that would cost us a lifetime annuity payout (that never touches the principle). I'm 69 now and "retired" at 51 and was waiting for the DW to retire. Now she's "retired" thanks to inoperable liver cancer.
I guess the answer is: which would you like to do? Live with a payment or not?

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
New Horizons Owners Club
Did not plan on another 5th wheel as big as the rig we retired in. Expect to replace the tow vehicle. May get a smaller rig when we travel less and return to a new home base living situation.
2013 New Horizons 37' Majestic, 2013 Ford F-450 Lariat
Full-time RV April 2013, Retired January 2014
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I retired at 55, am 57 now. Own a 2002 Monaco Windsor we bought in late 2008.

I would never spend any of my retirement savings on buying another RV unless I found a great deal and the difference of what I could sell mine for versus buying price would be minimal.

The reality is that no matter what make, model or year coach you buy it will depreciate the longer you own it. The other reality is that it does cost a significant amount to own a motorhome, I consider it an expensive hobby and have already informed my wife that at some point we may have to cut the ties. After last weeks routing in the stock market it may be sooner then later, especially have getting a ~50% increase in our health insurance premium.

Now if you've budgeted for owning a motorhome and can afford to buy a DP then go ahead an spend the money as you see fit, you've earned the right.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
Be very careful with your plans to use your wife's medical for the next 20 years. Companies can and will alter the deal. Insurance available prior to Medicare is very expensive. We had and have sufficient resources to live off my portfolio income so the down turns in the market have minimal affect. However, each year the amount going towards health care is significant and this year once again will exceed $24,000. We are also going to use my SS check to pay for a new motorhome.

We have no plans to full time. I like my house, golf club, and have no intention of living in a recreational vehicle no matter how large and expensive, but can understand that some will do just that. But at your ages, I would plan on a new rig every so many years.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:24 AM   #6
We bought our last rig first... We thought. And after 7 years we bought our first DP.. AKA our last RV. When I retired we wanted to travel more and spend less time setting up. So we sold the 5th wheel and bought our Revolution. We spend 3-4 months in it over a year but will never full time. We love the bath and a half. Get what fits your lifestyle now and the forceable future.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
We have a 31-foot Class C and plan on it being our last RV.
2004 Itasca Spirit -- The Darlin' Dot II
A big fan of Jimmy Buffett, The Boston Red Sox & The Open Road
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark ... and we're wearing sunglasses."
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are weekenders and vacationers currently, nearing retirement. Three class A RVs over several years. Recently bought the third, a DP, that is planned to carry us to and into retirement when we move to be part timers. No plans for a fourth coach, but I never say never.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
Never owned an RV until I retired At 59. Bought my first one a 30' Gasser in 2006 new. Got the bug 1st one lasted me only 11 months. upgraded ( I thought to a 38' DP.) also new. I had so many problems the first year with this coach got fed up traded in for again a new 41' Monaco knight. 2008 model year bought in 2009. did a few trips 6 months a year to warmer climates until 2012 ended up buying a place in Florida (cheaper than staying at a good RV park in FL. ). now motorhome sits 6 months in NY and 6 months in Florida May do a few week long stays in the summer up north Should have bought my last one first could have saved a lot of money. budget is being stretched maintaining 3 places. Especially with the motorhome costing more to maintain than the other (2) last year alone new tires. ( 2) costly breakdowns 1 @ 1100.00 and the other @ 6500.00 If I had to do it all over again I would have kept working until 65 or 66
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by doublechevy View Post
If I had to do it all over again I would have kept working until 65 or 66
I probably should have done that too. DW couldn't retire till then anyway. My boss was jerk and facilitated my being bypassed for dept head. They set it up for the son in law of one of the big wigs to take over, plus my 30 years was up and IT consulting was going bigtime. Made good money for a while till the economy tanked and Freightliner no longer needed an Oracle Financials manager when they cancelled the project with the downturn.
Would actually have been a better thing for me to have stayed, I'd have made more overall and had a better retirement.
But do overs aren't allowed so I'm stuck with my decision.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:39 PM   #11
I retired at 55 in '94 and my wife several years later, but she was a teacher and had Summers off which left us with several months to travel while she was working. At retirement we chose not to full time but still traveled several months each year. We're 76 and 69 now and looking back I wouldn't change a thing.

If I were considering full timing I would have a fairly large DP simply because of the room in the coach and the economy/longevity diesel provides, but they are just too big for some of the places we go.

dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:20 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Roger and Kim-

Here are my observations/recommendations.

1) If at all possible, retire debt-free and stay that way.
2) You look at big purchases differently when you no longer have "big" income.
3) Ahead are about 10 years of paying your own medical expenses. As "wildtoad" said, companies can alter or eliminate retiree health plans at will. It would be wise to have a backup plan or two.

I hope this helps in your thinking.
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
We retired at 57 and 59 and had the RV we wanted to FT in. We will drive it till the wheels fall off. I can't imagine buying another motor home without an income to support the expense.

Like Mark sez, "You look at big purchases [quite] differently when you no longer have big income..."

Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #14

Carolina Campers
Question for early retirees.

Live, enjoy, be happy, do what you think is best for you...

Sometimes the best advice is to do your best planing, then do what makes the best sense to you...

If I had taken the advice of others, I probably wouldn't have been married 42 years ago... and counting. I wouldn't have had three kids and therefore wouldn't be enjoying my eight grandkids now. I probably would have never have found the right time to buy a house (let alone the last five). It would never have been the right time to financially afford an RV (let alone upgrade to a new one). I may have passed by many poor choices from others prospective, that ended up the best opportunities of my life. All I am saying is that if you wait for the right time to live your dream, you may never live your dream....

Plan, make your best choice, and go for it. You may have some good luck that allows you to live your plan, but you may need to make some adjustments over time. As an example, I chose to retire a few years ago, and have enjoyed traveling around the country. When an opportunity came up to go back to work under contract with my old company, I took that as another opportunity to put extra funds in the bank. During my contract I have taken several three or four day trips and even two week long trips. When my contract ends in September, I have a Camp Host job set up in a warm climate for the winter. I will decide what is next after that.

Retirement is simply another chapter. If you retire early, there is no reason you can't supplement your retirement with a part time job, or doing contract work when you may choose. In fact, you may find it a good choice that allows you to work when you want to, and then not work when you choose to travel, or do other opportunities. For some of us, retirement is just another tool in our life, versus the end of your working years.

I wish you the best of luck.

Enjoy life, regardless of your choices in the way to live it.

Ted & Kathleen

tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote