Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2019, 05:16 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Question for RV DIY owners & RV Books?

Some folks will understand this question as Christmas time is growing shorter for some of my Christmas gift Shopping. As a kind of DIY kind of person, I have many RV Friends asking me RV related questions.

But I will be the first to say some of this stuff is over my head. So I have a few RV DIY Books, but I was wondering what some of you, my fellow RVers may have as your go-to book on Your RV Bookshelf?

Links, Cost, Page count and stories welcome. Truly looking for a complete RV DIY Guide? Suggestions all welcomed.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 07:15 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.amazon.com/Managing-12-V...83914170&psc=1

Don't let the boat on the cover fool.
I highly recommend this book supplemented with current solar reference.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't need books. My "go to" source is IRV2! Lots of great folks here who have been helpful and patient over the years!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with Joe but before I joined this group I bough a repair book called "Ten minute tech". It might be out of print now but there were many editions that updated the material. There's also this one that I have too:
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Repair-Mai.../dp/0934798702

I don't remember the last time I opened either one frankly. Most of the time I just refer to my product manual or owner's manual. Winnebago did a great job with their printed owner's stuff.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

I prefer specific Service Manuals vs RV DIY Books........and I can't stand YouTube because MANY are way too amateurish and flat out wrong.

MFG Service Manuals.......!!!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #6

You can get the manuals for all the appliances, refrig, furnace and air conditioning and most of the electrical parts by searching the manufacturer's site by model number.

As far as the physical build, I doubt if the RV manufacturer even those. A lot of that depends on the people that actually built it and the fact that they may have used different parts depending on what they had on hand at the time.

I had called to get a AS BUILT list from the company and they told me they did not have one. Basically depended on the day it was built.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:02 AM   #7

Many of the service manuals for the RV appliances are available for download as PDF's. on the specific manufacturer's website. Some manufacturers are better than others about what they publish.
As far as the coach maker's, I found that Winnebago is the best about documentation of their builds. I.E. you can get a wiring diagram for any model they ever built. Others are not as good, and of course if you bought an Orphan....
Nigel Calder has written some great books on marine repairs, including electrical, and most of the 12V information is applicable to RV's as well.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, christmasgiftideas, diy, rvbooks, rvdiy, rvguide