Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #1

Question Question on Furnace/Heat Pump

We have a 2019 Aria 3901. We are in AZ and must use the Heat Pump at night. We choose this option on the touch pad. When operating only on the Heat Pump, after a while the Furnace comes on. We do not want the Furnace to come on, but it does. We turn it off, then later when the Heat Pump comes on again, the same thing happens. We do not have the Furnace on, it is coming on by itself. We have checked in the settings, but cannot figure out how to make this stop. Does anyone know how to just use the Heat Pump?
DrTEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
WDW

I’m not familiar with your unit, but there are some units that are designed it when the temperature drops below a certain point that the main furnace kicks in because it has a better capacity to generate heat and heat pump does.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #3

Sounds like the system is working as designed, perhaps not as desired. As above, most RV heat pumps that I’ve seen will operate as normal until the outside temperature drops to a factory set number, usually in the high 20’s. At this point the heat pump can’t produce enough or any heat. The system then switches to the furnace until the outside temp rises above the cutoff point. Your only other option is turn the system off when it switches to furnace.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On a recent trip to Branson Mo. the temps at night dropped into the teens.During the day in the 40's my heat pump ran fine but later in the evening,as the temp dropped, the furnace took over,so I agree it sounds like its functioning as designed.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!
Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Congrats on the new rig! As others have said, it is normal for the furnace to come on when the outside temp gets below the point where the heat pump can operate.

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:24 PM   #6

The Coleman-Mach basement heat pump says on the thermostat; "when inside temperature is 45° or below the LP furnace will(not may) operate". The heat pump also runs, but is only moving air. When outside temperature is low, humidity plays a large role in when/if the heat pump will function.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #7
Cat

On my system if the inside temperature drops 5 degrees below what you have set the thermostat to the propane heater will come on to prevent your inside temperature dropping any lower. Also as said if the inside is 45 degrees the propane heater will come on.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
If your mode selection on the thermostat is set to "AUTO" it will maintain temp with the heat pump 1st, then switch to furnace to maintain temp if heat pump cannot maintain temp within 2 deg of setting. If mode is set to "HP" it will only run heat pump. If not you may have problem with thermostat or "dip" switches.. Thermostat manual
http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...structions.pdf
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
If your mode selection on the thermostat is set to "AUTO" it will maintain temp with the heat pump 1st, then switch to furnace to maintain temp if heat pump cannot maintain temp within 2 deg of setting. If mode is set to "HP" it will only run heat pump. If not you may have problem with thermostat or "dip" switches.. Thermostat manual

http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...structions.pdf

I don’t have an Aria, but mine operates as described in #7 by Cat. To get around this I use portable electric ceramic heaters when connected to shore power and temps will be above freezing. If below freezing I need to use my rear propane furnace so that the wet bay is heated to prevent plumbing freeze.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, operating as designed to keep you warm when the heat pumps won't.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heat pump