Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Senior Chief: Nice co-pilot

Tamara: Our dogs enjoy the traveling. They know when we start loading the MH and are underfoot until we get underway. We sure enjoy having them with us.
Most Cg are very accommodating, of course always pick up after the dogs and watch for the barking. We use an exercise pen (X-pen) when we sit out or have them on a lead. But leaving them tied out unattended could be a disaster. Strays, wildlife, kids or worse yet getting loose.

Enjoy..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have not come across a campground that allows a dog to be tethered outside without the owner being present. Sometimes that rule does not seem to apply to "some" people.

We have an 80# Husky. She only barks when someone comes to the door, so far. We leave her in the MH when we go out sight-seeing or shopping, with all the comforts she deserves. I sometimes wonder about power loss and the AC going off, but so far we have not had that problem. I'm going to look into the Auto Start feature for the Onan.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #17

Unhappy Service Animals

As I noted in my apparent mistaken attempt to be of assistance, I do have a disability and have no need to prove it to anyone. Perhaps it isn't your place to judge if people are "posing" or not since the law actually prohibits questioning the nature of the disability by people with service animals. Disabilities take all forms and I did not recommend people others act to subvert the law, but merely seek out training for their dog to see if it qualifies to be a service dog. In fact, I recommended Petsmart because they have an excellent program to assist people make that determination and obtain certification, if possible. Many people believe there is a set list of proscribed disabilites, i.e. blindness, etc. as you set out, but that was exactly my point. There are many areas beyond the traditional scope previously seen for service animals and pets often do become service animals with training. Many people may just need emotional support for anxiety or panic and if that is something their service animal can provide, even if it began as a pet, and it can meet certification requirements, it might free up someone who would otherwise sit at home. Having lived in Holland for many years where animals are more freely welcomed into society, I believe we as Americans unnecessarily segregate animals from our lives and limit what we believe they can provide. I contend that ADA protections aside, we would be a better people to push the boundaries of inclusion of any animal that provides, service for physical limitations and even perhaps those not quite as obvious and easily labeled as questionable. When I was first diagnosed with AIDS (and later Stage 3 Head and Neck Cancer) I was told it wasn't even a disability under the ADA. With the loss of my partner a year ago next week, my Golden Retriever, Mr. Darcy, is literally all I have, so even if the law didn't allow him to assist me, I personally would challenge the law. It wouldn't be the first time I challenged the limitation of law and contend it is how law evolves. As an attorney, I also recognize the need for law but am willing to pay the consequences to test laws when I believe them unjust. I recognize I may be an anarchist on this issue, so may ask to share your soapbox, but once there I hope I wouldn't question anyone's disability. I think it is shameful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Jim,
There is a huge difference between a service animal and a companion animal.
The Americans with Disabilities Act provisions for service animals allow a disabled person access to Public Areas ( private areas are not under this)
most "pets" cannot make the transition from pet to service animal. Check out the Delta Society website.

A service animal(could also be a miniature horse) is trained to preform a function"service" that takes the place of the disability. Ie blind, hearing, weight bearing, mobility and recently some psychiatric disabilities. The animal provides a service that the individual can no longer do because of their disability.

Unfortunately, there are no enforcement or regulatory agencies to ensure true "service animals" are being used or trained appropriately. There are numerous websites that you can simply answer a few questions and get a service animal certification number. For a few extra bucks they will sell you a paper copy, vest and collar tag.

I don't know your situation but have seen many people go the easy route just to take their pet where it shouldn't be. ( not saying that's you) I also know 2 people that have legitimate "Service Animals" those dogs had 2 years of training through the program in the Texas prison system prior to the 12 months of service animal and handler training together before they were their animal.

The folks who claim their pet is a service animal have caused huge issues with those with a true disability dog.
Paperwork most of the posers can't produce: temperament testing to show the dog is stable in all environments,
Up to date shot records, dates of training, type of training and training agency.

Now as I climb off the soap box, I leave you with this:

Basic requirements that you should be prepared to provide if an establishment asks.
1. They are allowed to ask what is the task the animal has been trained to preform for your disability? (not asking what's wrong with you, just what the animal was trained to do)
2. Please demonstrate that task.( unless it's obvious, guide dog, etc.)

If the establishment feels that the animal is a disruption or a safety hazard they can keep you from entering with the animal. They still have to serve you.

Yes, I have had issues with folks posing as disabled and their fake service animal caused someone else harm. :(
BBarHRancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBarHRancher View Post
As I noted in my apparent mistaken attempt to be of assistance, I do have a disability and have no need to prove it to anyone. Perhaps it isn't your place to judge if people are "posing" or not since the law actually prohibits questioning the nature of the disability by people with service animals. Disabilities take all forms and I did not recommend people others act to subvert the law, but merely seek out training for their dog to see if it qualifies to be a service dog. In fact, I recommended Petsmart because they have an excellent program to assist people make that determination and obtain certification, if possible. Many people believe there is a set list of proscribed disabilites, i.e. blindness, etc. as you set out, but that was exactly my point. There are many areas beyond the traditional scope previously seen for service animals and pets often do become service animals with training. Many people may just need emotional support for anxiety or panic and if that is something their service animal can provide, even if it began as a pet, and it can meet certification requirements, it might free up someone who would otherwise sit at home. Having lived in Holland for many years where animals are more freely welcomed into society, I believe we as Americans unnecessarily segregate animals from our lives and limit what we believe they can provide. I contend that ADA protections aside, we would be a better people to push the boundaries of inclusion of any animal that provides, service for physical limitations and even perhaps those not quite as obvious and easily labeled as questionable. When I was first diagnosed with AIDS (and later Stage 3 Head and Neck Cancer) I was told it wasn't even a disability under the ADA. With the loss of my partner a year ago next week, my Golden Retriever, Mr. Darcy, is literally all I have, so even if the law didn't allow him to assist me, I personally would challenge the law. It wouldn't be the first time I challenged the limitation of law and contend it is how law evolves. As an attorney, I also recognize the need for law but am willing to pay the consequences to test laws when I believe them unjust. I recognize I may be an anarchist on this issue, so may ask to share your soapbox, but once there I hope I wouldn't question anyone's disability. I think it is shameful.
Considering the numbers of people who fake and scam the disability system every year, I don't find it shameful to question someone's disability at all. Why would it bother you that someone inquires as to the nature of your disability? My wife has been receiving SS Disability for 4 years: her disability is not obvious to the casual observer, but she'll be happy to tell you about it.

If you're 73 years old, you're disabled in a lot of ways, compared to a 20-year old, but that doesn't mean you should be entitled special accommodations in society. Just being ill or lonely is hardly the same as being restricted to a wheelchair or losing your sight, despite what political correctness might dictate.

I'm sorry this is so off-topic, but service animals perform an incredibly valuable service. Every service dog I've ever met has been highly trained and beautifully mannered. I find the idea that people would seek out questionable service designations for their dog based on a fear of leaving them alone in the RV kind of repugnant.

JMHO

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #19

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Like I said in my original post. I'm not judging you nor do I believe you are posing or scamming the system. I simply relayed the facts as I have experienced and had to research them for my job. ( I have been in Health care since 1981 and have seen the changes to the ADA that have actually helped!

I empathize with your illness and was not flaming you or your attempt to get your pet trained as a service animal.
I was providing relevant information that you may or may not have known as well as others on the thread.

Proof of disability is not required as stated in my post, what is allowed legally is to ask the purpose of the animal and the task it is trained to preform.

Comfort animals are not service animals, they have no legal rights under the ADA. A psychiatric service animal is covered as they provide a service for a specific disability.
Example:
Psychiatric fear of someone being behind you or in your comfort zone(diagnosed by licensed practitioner) the dog is trained to maintain a set distance between you and everyone else. It's response to someone invading your set space is for the animal to bark and look harassing. They won't bite or lunge, they maintain the space and warn you and others of the breach.

Or a seizure dogs that warns someone when they sense a seizure is imminent. Amazing to see! Allows the person time to call or ask for help, gives them time to get to a safe position prior to the seizure.

Companion animal or human bond animal (not covered under ADA) someone has a bit of anxiety and the dog hugs them or brings them tissues, sits in their lap. (doesn't actually preform a trained task based on disability- provides comfort not service)

Again, not arguing or judging.

Happy trails and safe travels
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #20

We are full timers and we have our lovely jade with us at all times . She is a 85lbs pit bull teaching pure breed. Some camp grounds don't allow us at there cg but if they think that way then we dont want to be there anyway. Some have said no bully breeds but after meeting her they say ok as we leave they always say come back soon and bring jade. But if we go out of the camp ground with out her she sleeps in the camper with the AC or heat on and food and water there. We just bring her for a long walk before we leave and when we get back. Ps. As far as the disabled people it is none of your business as to the extent of there disabilities. The wife and I are both disabled her from Iraq and me from a car jacking. We will talk about it but it hurts some to talk about it. So just move on this topic is about large dogs not disabilities. Hope this helps

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote