Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question regarding traveling with a large dog

My DH and I were discussing a cross country trip for next year when he said he absolutely wants our large dog (83 lbs) to come along. I was hoping to stop and do some sight seeing. I was wondering what other RV'ers do with their dogs while they visit places where dogs are not welcome. I was thinking of going to Niagra Falls and Graceland. You get the picture. Do people leave there animals in their RV, or leashed outside their RV or just not go to places where they can't take their dogs. So far we have only taken local trips. I appreciate your input. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I assume you're referring to the tourist spots where dogs are not welcome and not the camp grounds?

We were full time with our three little dogs for nearly 4 years. When we went sight seeing, if we would be going inside somewhere they were not allowed, we would leave them in the coach with the AC running.

There's always a concern that a power outage at the park could turn the coach in to an oven and we are worried about that. There are a number of technological solutions like a generator auto start feature, smart phone apps which will text you if the temp gets too high, etc. We have not installed any of these as of yet and have not had a problem but it's still a concern.

What type of dog do you have? If it's not on the list of breeds commonly banned by CGs, I think you'll be OK.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #3

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have 2 big dogs, a husky and a lab(56 & 109lbs). We don't full time or travel anywhere near as much as RickO but when we do travel and come across this issue we do many different things depending on where we are.
We leave the door unlocked and leave a note on the door with our phone number/ location in case of emergency. (Shades down, A/C on, radio or TV on. ( They love animal planet ).
Looking into one of the smart phone alert apps as well.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

How does your dog handle being left alone? If he's like our 100# AB Zeus he goes on our bed and sleeps till we return you'll do well. If he barks at every sound it might cause a problem at the camp ground. Good luck have fun.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our dog is a 8 year old lab/shepherd mix. She is very well behaved but we don't know how she will respond to being left alone in the rv for hours at a time. We are going to take baby steps ( puppy steps) and take some shorter trips.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Travel with large (and a small) dog all the time. As posted, we keep the ac on and also the radio to cut down on outside sounds. Have not have a problem in 25+ years.
Well: -- DW reminded me of the one Cg that said "Go set up and come back to check-in, then said we only allow one dog, no exceptions." and another that had a camp rule of no homealone pets. But that's unusual.

I think George qualifies as a large dog. (160#)

Enjoy:
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #7

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan
Travel with large (and a small) dog all the time. As posted, we keep the ac on and also the radio to cut down on outside sounds. Have not have a problem in 25+ years.
Well: -- DW reminded me of the one Cg that said "Go set up and come back to check-in, then said we only allow one dog, no exceptions." and another that had a camp rule of no homealone pets. But that's unusual.

Enjoy:
He's a big baby
Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have 2 GSDs that do well alone. We keep the AC on and they just mellow out till we get back. They don't bark at every sound but if someone get close, they will make some noise.

We just made our first real road trip away from our home base CG. They didn't seem to change their behavior at all.

We do crate them when we are going to be gone for more than an hour. For this particular weekend we also placed 3 fans around the crates since it was 100*+. Our spot was out in the open and the coach temp got up to about 85* at the height of the heat cycle.

I'm kind of torn between leaving a message on the door advertising we are not there. It doesn't feel right for US.

We are looking into auto starting generator equipment in case there is an electrical failure at the CG. Our home base CG spot is very well shaded so this was our first experience in such heat away from home.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #9

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No problems with leaving ours unlocked- if there was an emergency all someone would need to do it open the door and they'd run out. If someone opened the door and no emergency then they take their chances! The Husky is very protective of Daddy's house on wheels.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #10

George is one handsome fella
Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #11

We travel all the time with our two labs! In fact they own the MH and they just let me drive it around for them! We have no issues with them and in fact they are good for me, as I would drive for many hours without stopping. With our labs, they need to take a 'potty' break couple hours which is just fine. Besides as I get older, the back does not like sitting for the long hours. As far as leaving them in the MH, we have not had any issues. Other then the 500-600 mile trips here in Alaska, we make the trip to the 'lower 48' and back which is usually about 6500-7000 miles and they love to travel.
Take the dogs and if places do not want them there, then more then likely you do not want to be there either.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I think the big issues will be 1) can your dog be left alone without barking and making a fuss, and 2) will you be camping in places that you feel comfortable leaving the dog alone in the MH, either because of the heat issues or otherwise.

Barking is kind of a self-rewarding activity for a lonely dog. You may need to crate your dog while you're gone or invest in a high-quality bark collar if barking is an issue (it will be a HUGE issue for your neighbors at the campground) .

The problems with heat and the AC and the power going off can be resolved in several ways. Auto-start on your generator is one way (or just run the gennie any time you'll be gone) a thermostatically controlled 12 volt vent fan like Fantastic or ShurFlo (these will open and start the exhaust fan when the temperature reaches your preset). Smart phone apps are another possibility to alert you if the temperature rises.

Anyway, lots of us full-time with our pets and we go out to dinner or to no-dog places all the time and leave the pooches "at home".

You can work it out, believe me.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleValley2 View Post
My DH and I were discussing a cross country trip for next year when he said he absolutely wants our large dog (83 lbs) to come along. I was hoping to stop and do some sight seeing. I was wondering what other RV'ers do with their dogs while they visit places where dogs are not welcome. I was thinking of going to Niagra Falls and Graceland. You get the picture. Do people leave there animals in their RV, or leashed outside their RV or just not go to places where they can't take their dogs. So far we have only taken local trips. I appreciate your input. Thanks
I have a 100 lbs Golden Retriever that I take everywhere so have decided to have him certified as a service dog. It doesn't take that long and I am doing it at Petsmart. I do have a disability but I understand that stores etc are not allowed to ask anything about the nature or reason for the service dog but only if the dog is certified. I would too afraid to leave my dog unattended inside or our should there be a fire or perhaps worse, aggressive dogs come upon him while leased. Best of luck and I love traveling with a large dog. Jim
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #14

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBarHRancher
I have a 100 lbs Golden Retriever that I take everywhere so have decided to have him certified as a service dog. It doesn't take that long and I am doing it at Petsmart. I do have a disability but I understand that stores etc are not allowed to ask anything about the nature or reason for the service dog but only if the dog is certified. I would too afraid to leave my dog unattended inside or our should there be a fire or perhaps worse, aggressive dogs come upon him while leased. Best of luck and I love traveling with a large dog. Jim
Jim,
There is a huge difference between a service animal and a companion animal.
The Americans with Disabilities Act provisions for service animals allow a disabled person access to Public Areas ( private areas are not under this)
most "pets" cannot make the transition from pet to service animal. Check out the Delta Society website.

A service animal(could also be a miniature horse) is trained to preform a function"service" that takes the place of the disability. Ie blind, hearing, weight bearing, mobility and recently some psychiatric disabilities. The animal provides a service that the individual can no longer do because of their disability.

Unfortunately, there are no enforcement or regulatory agencies to ensure true "service animals" are being used or trained appropriately. There are numerous websites that you can simply answer a few questions and get a service animal certification number. For a few extra bucks they will sell you a paper copy, vest and collar tag.

I don't know your situation but have seen many people go the easy route just to take their pet where it shouldn't be. ( not saying that's you) I also know 2 people that have legitimate "Service Animals" those dogs had 2 years of training through the program in the Texas prison system prior to the 12 months of service animal and handler training together before they were their animal.

The folks who claim their pet is a service animal have caused huge issues with those with a true disability dog.
Paperwork most of the posers can't produce: temperament testing to show the dog is stable in all environments,
Up to date shot records, dates of training, type of training and training agency.

Now as I climb off the soap box, I leave you with this:

Basic requirements that you should be prepared to provide if an establishment asks.
1. They are allowed to ask what is the task the animal has been trained to preform for your disability? (not asking what's wrong with you, just what the animal was trained to do)
2. Please demonstrate that task.( unless it's obvious, guide dog, etc.)

If the establishment feels that the animal is a disruption or a safety hazard they can keep you from entering with the animal. They still have to serve you.

Yes, I have had issues with folks posing as disabled and their fake service animal caused someone else harm. :(