Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #1

Thought there might be someone in our vast array of RVers that is knowledgeable about this subject....

My wife and I have 3 cemetary plots in Dallas TX area we have owned for 20 years (at Bluebonnet Hills cemetary in Colleyville). We now live 400 miles from there and have no use for those plots. We want to sell the plots but have no clue as the best way to do this, how to know what price to ask, not get ripped off, ect...
Several years ago we contacted the cemetary and they informed us, in a very non-helpful manner, that they were not in the business of buying back plots.

Thanks for the help.
Robert

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #2

Thought there might be someone in our vast array of RVers that is knowledgeable about this subject....

My wife and I have 3 cemetary plots in Dallas TX area we have owned for 20 years (at Bluebonnet Hills cemetary in Colleyville). We now live 400 miles from there and have no use for those plots. We want to sell the plots but have no clue as the best way to do this, how to know what price to ask, not get ripped off, ect...
Several years ago we contacted the cemetary and they informed us, in a very non-helpful manner, that they were not in the business of buying back plots.

Thanks for the help.
Robert

Old 09-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
They're hard to sell if not impossible; I walked off from two plots that I own in FL when I retired and moved to NC. They were bought in the 60's by my mom and dad who relocated and both passed on elsewhere. I inherited the plots because I lived where they're located.

Before relocating I tried classified ads, selling them back, swapping, etc., but no one wants to buy cemetery plots from individuals. The families will usually just buy them from the cemetery as needed when needed. Good luck with yours, if you're able to unload them post here how you did it and share it with the rest of us.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Robert & Richard,

There's always eBay....

Or, if you don't mind an occasional change of scenery (y'know, that might be nice), there's timeshares.com

(To anyone who may be offended, I apologize. Just a Hurricane Ike survivor who's still without power at home and looking for a little humor in life wherever he can find it.)

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I've looked at the ones listed on eBay, all of them have no bids so I figured 'why bother'. But... ya never know.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.... (To anyone who may be offended, I apologize. Just a Hurricane Ike survivor who's still without power at home and looking for a little humor in life wherever he can find it.)
Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
sorry TwoBit, for me sneakin in on your thread,
but Rusty how is everyone making it down there without electricity?
it must be REALLY advantageous to have a prepped trailer !
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
For my $0.02 why don't you look for a Charity or group that deals with abandoned and murdered children, and donate to them. The little angels need some place to be laid to rest.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Dave had a great idea, but if you want money for them here is what you do: (I worked as a grief counselor for a BRIEF time . . . ugh, what a depressing job . . .)

Call the local funeral homes and find out the current value for a plot in that cemetery. Put an ad in your local paper (this works really well if it's a small town) or on Craig's List for the plot at a reduced cost. In some cemeteries, it's even permissible to put a small, TASTEFUL "for sale" sign on the plots with your phone number. Black and white, SMALL - no huge red FOR SALE signs. Just a small sign that people would see if they walked by. You can have them custom made at a sign shop. You can also call the VA and offer to donate the plots to veterans.

Good luck!

Bev
Old 09-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #9

Heck, if I were you I think I'd find out what funeral homes charge, and run an ad.

Who knows, there might be a family buried nearby who would really like to have a chance to have the plots nearby to keep everyone together...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Don't know much about the cemetary business, but folks are dying to get into them!
The devil made me do it!!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:56 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I Googled "Resale Cemetary Plots" and had 21,000 hits. Some at the top looked like they might be useful to you.

Good luck and be sure and share your experiences with us all.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #12

My father in law passed away last June. When we went to the funeral home they offered us their usual advise. We needed a few plots for our family when it is time.

The location of their plots were not desirable. We have a friend that was in the funeral business before he retired, and we called him for advise. He alerted us about the cemetery not being keen to not buy from them. He was right, they will give you plenty of grieve about buying from someone else. We almost came fist to cuff with them about it, but we bought from someone else in the location that we liked better. They got paid for their service but not the land.

You need to advertise in the local paper what you have and it's location. Best to sell it before the people need it. It takes some time to get the plots transferred as well. We lucked out because we kind of knew who we were buying from and we bought it just after my father in laws death.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #13

having worked as a funeral director for 42 years (happily now retired)I can give you some advicw.
lots are hard to sell; the best way is to offer them to a funeral home in the area on consignment, that way when they have an at-need family without a lot they can sell to them at a discounted price to the cemetery.
good luck