Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #14281

R U an RV Mutant too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Dave - excellent job jumping over the red tape. When a mutant takes things by the throat, there is no limit to what can be accomplished. Job well done!

Thank you, Steve! But...

There is nothing quite as lucky as a wife that calms you and suggests trying another MVD office just for the heck of it, and the luck of my number being tagged to a guy that knew his job.

I had thoughts of being pulled over for a tail light out. "License, registration and proof of insurance please".

The sigh I gave out the moment my torment was over had to have been audible to folks within 30 yards in that big office, but a thought of the notice they may have paid to it never ocurred to me. I was too thrilled. No longer frantic or scared!

And I feel pretty blessed right now.

Dave and Nola - RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #14282

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don - I take it the weather was nice. Otherwise your lights would have been flashing as status quo. At least that's way I have seen that stretch on more than one occasion.

I really do like the drive north through Kansas and Nebraska. There was one stretch of two lane with sunflowers on both sides of the road. Window high - left and and right - green - yellow - black and gold.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #14283

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
CLSP - Recon Report/SITREP

Another LONG POST WARNING...

Sandee, Gunny, Thor and I spent nearly 2 hours driving around the Bright Star loop scouting out the facilities.

MAP

When we stopped at the office I got confirmation that I could register you folks ahead of time and they really don't expect many others looking for sites next week. So I'm going to provide you some information as recommendations with some specific reasons for them. You will have the time to get there and register. BTW...if you happen to get there after 5 PM when the office closes you can go to your chosen spot and pay them the next morning before 9 am.

Don't forget, in addition to the CG fee, there is a $5 per day, per person entry fee unless you have one of those Texas State Park passes. If I do pay for the second day for you folks being here longer than 1 night, you can pay the entry fee when you get here.

So, for the most part, you early arrivals can plan to pay CG and entry fees when you get here. HOWEVER...If I see a sudden influx of campers then I will make the best choice I can and grab a spot before they do. Otherwise, here are my thoughts/recommendations....

We felt the west side of Bright Star was the best opportunity to group ourselves reasonably close together. The slot numbers we think will give everyone a chance to find a good site and be reasonably close are from 27-34 on the inside of the loop and 13 - 22 on the outside. Of course, you can chose any site you wish.

We actually walked and paced out each of the spots. For the most part they are all fairly level left and right but have varying degrees of up and down ramping from the road before you get to the reasonably level pad. All pads are concrete. For the back in slots I would say that most of them have at least 30' of level surface from the bumper curb at the back of the pad before they either ramp up or down to the road. Some have a tad more. None of the ramps are excessive enough that I would think they would cause any hitches to drag.

There are 4 pull throughs. 30 & 29 are pretty good. I do NOT recommend 14 because there is little room to step out of your coach onto concrete before there is a big drop off to the ground surface below. 15 is not much better but I would scout it out yourself it you want a pull through. Also, 14 & 15 are on the outside of the curve and thus have a slightly sharper curve of their own.

Many of the pads are not level with the ground. You will want to consider hugging the driver side of the pad as you back in to give you a place to extend the stairs and be able to step down to the pad.

Unless we find something isn't working for us, we will be taking Spot 34. Additionally, I will reserve 13 for Wayne and 30 for Steve/RVM2 to accommodate some leveling equipment issues they are having.

You may want to consider driving into the the entry to Bright Star and unhooking and scouting your site before you get into the circle. The outside spots on the west side need to be approached from the north (counter clockwise around the loop) while the inside spots need to be approached from the south (clockwise around the loop). Once you commit to the direction you drive around the loop, there isn't an easy way to get turned around without exiting and doing some backing to get back into the area. Of course, you could unhook back at the office and scout with your toad but it is nearly a 5-6 minute drive at the speed limit from the office back into Bright Star.

Water levels are VERY LOW. Sorry, but you won't see too much lake shore.

Finally, if having a view of your favorite sat TV provider is important, drop me a PM on who your provider is and I will try to provide a scout report on what sites will give you that. Several of the sites are well wooded thus blocking sat TV.

PM me any questions or things you would like me to double check when we get there this Friday. I'll plan to get back with any requested info by Saturday.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #14284

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I seen Barb today, and she was east bound and down, loaded up and trucking, she's gona do what they say can't be done. She's got a long way to go, and a short time to get there. She's east bound, just watch ol Barb and Sena run. I didn't think it was her at first, I couldn't see Smarty hiding back there behind the rig until it was almost going by me. And Barb you didn't even wave! And your windows are tinted so dark, I couldn't tell if you are Sena was driving. About 10:30 am between Wakenney and Hays Kansas on I70.
Oh, if only I had known you were out there I'd of stopped for a mini-mini. We stayed in Wakeeney last night and I was headed to get gas in Hays because it was 16 cents cheaper. I was sweating bullets because my low gas icon came on just after I left Wakeeney and I was hoping that there was enough gas to get me to Hays. We made it to Hays, but not before gas went up 4 cents.

It was me driving. Sena drives way too fast and would have probably run us out of gas before Hays. We'll see ya at the GC. I can almost smell those filets a-cookin' now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #14285

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky

Oh, if only I had known you were out there I'd of stopped for a mini-mini. We stayed in Wakeeney last night and I was headed to get gas in Hays because it was 16 cents cheaper. I was sweating bullets because my low gas icon came on just after I left Wakeeney and I was hoping that there was enough gas to get me to Hays. We made it to Hays, but not before gas went up 4 cents.

It was me driving. Sena drives way too fast and would have probably run us out of gas before Hays. We'll see ya at the GC. I can almost smell those filets a-cookin' now.
Were your ears burning Missy? I just sent up the flair on the email hotline - as I had not heard from you tonight.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #14286

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don, if I'd seen headlights flashing I would have thought you were signaling that there was a speed trap ahead. Since I don't even drive the speed limit, I wouldn't have looked twice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #14287

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well Bonita is apparently tested and water tight on both tank / blades so we're off to get her. Knock on wood my friendly neighborhood Camping World has come through for me. Yes they didn't get it right the first time - but no charge for Mt trouble this time. Making mistakes his human. Standing behind your work is a good thing! Off we go.

So glad everything is fixed and you guys will be heading out for fun!!!!
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #14288

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post

I was going to fuel up "Gracie" this afternoon but got delayed. I had to go and get some stuff early this evening and found gasoline had gone from $1.32 a liter ($5.00 per gallon) to $1.47 a liter ($5.56 a gallon) in three hours. Strange how the prices fluctuate up at incredible reckless abandon just prior to long weekends and then slowly drop a penny or two at a time until the next long weekend.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #14289

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohapi

So glad everything is fixed and you guys will be heading out for fun!!!!
Hey there! Time for me to turn in but it occurs to me - you should play the slot machines. You start off with two 77s. RVM77 is a lucky mutant number methinks!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #14290

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hey there! Time for me to turn in but it occurs to me - you should play the slot machines. You start off with two 77s. RVM77 is a lucky mutant number methinks!

Oh good idea and maybe power ball too! On it.....mutant to the store for power ball ticket.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #14291

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Tim - I assume all is well and your sparse posting is because you are sweeping and washing the road from the Texas Border to the GC and laying out the red carpet for all RVMs to arrive and disembark on. Just making sure you're ok buddy?

We headed your way soon and bringing the business end of the RVMutant party ward with us. We'll wave the wand and the party and laughter will begin!

C all y'all mutants real soon!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #14292
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Do they embellish Wayne? Ya think spooks tell Google their optical specifications?
Ah grasshopper! I was a Spook for 20+ years. What I told you has been unclassified. Much has changed since I retired over 30 years ago.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #14293

Hey, STMs! Y'all sleeping in this morning?
Such a quiet Rainbow, my goodness!

So...how about a ponder?

No? Well here it is anyways:

It has been a year since our RVM fracus got started. A year! Some events seem long ago, yet overall it seems to have gone quickly.

And now some of us folks are gathering up their stuff and fixing what they must to come together for a Grand Curiosity. But what is the real reason we do this?

It is a Curiosity and will definitely be Grand, but the common bond of two short phrases brought together peeps from many walks of life that share those two steadfast ideas. And friendships grew, thrived, and flourished. Yet, we are all different, quite varied in our lifestyles and habits....except for two short phrases!

Hardships and sadness are mutually consoled. Moments of happiness and joy are gleefully celibrated. Jokes and pokes and sharing of ideas and even a few short quibbles made the year worthwhile. And oh such memories we have already created, all through wholesome camaraderie.

And this next week the culmination of much collaboration and planning comes. And we will laugh and feast and build on what we started.

I have no good way to finish this ponder but to say thanks....

Dave and Nola - RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #14294

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Ah grasshopper! I was a Spook for 20+ years. ...
And you are still spooky!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote