Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #15415
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Martin and all,

Here's a list by state of the towing laws. This should settle the issue of supplemental braking.

http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html

Some states say 1500 pounds. Is that the weight of the vehicle and it's contents? I imagine it is. My car only weighs 1480# , but there's more than 20# of stuff in it. A LOT more. It has become the overflow or keep it safe from Sena trailer.

Not that it matters, I have a ReadyBrake Elite towbar that has the braking built into it.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #15416

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart View Post
My family came from NC. At least that is what we have found so far. Wow that would be something if we all cousins. Maybe that explains the kindred spirit.
I believe my name was miss translated from the original Native American tongue, it really should be Rockafeller!

Old 05-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #15417

Fleetwood Owners Club
Janlee how's the repairs coming? Well I hope!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #15418

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski

I believe my name was miss translated from the original Native American tongue, it really should be Rockafeller!
Rockefeller MoneyBags Clinton -

Edit - or is it Rockefeller Catfish Clinton
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #15419
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
[...]What I'm using is basically a generic cable set and diode kit supplied by Demco. At the rear, the plan was to splice that cable set into the tail lights using the diodes (to prevent back feed). I'm a bit concerned, however, that this arrangement, when used in conjunction with a supplementary brake, may cause a problem with turn signals in that the Jeep brake light (which operates with the ignition OFF) will override the turn signal sent back by the coach.[...]

Best regards,

Martin
Martin, I believe all vehicles brake lights and flashers work when ignition is off. Maybe not so for the turn signals. On my present MKX I have the Diodes. On the 2007 Saturn I had I was given the option of diodes or separate lights. I opted for the separate light bulbs. New holes are drilled in the present light holder and bulbs are installed. Wires, of course have to be run separately. If you are not sure the diodes will work, additional bulbs would do the trick.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #15420

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Martin and all,

Here's a list by state of the towing laws. This should settle the issue of supplemental braking.

State Towing Laws for RVs

Some states say 1500 pounds. Is that the weight of the vehicle and it's contents? I imagine it is. My car only weighs 1480# , but there's more than 20# of stuff in it. A LOT more. It has become the overflow or keep it safe from Sena trailer.

Not that it matters, I have a ReadyBrake Elite towbar that has the braking built into it.
Found it hard to believe it is legal to ride in a travel trailer or 5th wheeler in my state and Missouri....
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #15421

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
Hi Sarah - Long time no speak!

Yes, I'm currently involved in getting our brand new Jeep Cherokee fitted up for toad duties. I have the Demco Baseplate(s) in stock and am waiting for my bust wrist to gain some strength and motion (and lose pain!) before taking down the front fascia and bolting them in. In the meantime, with Sue's help, I've run a flat 4-wire cable set from the engine compartment, through the firewall, under the door sills and into a small compartment under the trunk floor.

I looked up 'CoolTech Harness' and this seems to be specifically for Wranglers. What I'm using is basically a generic cable set and diode kit supplied by Demco. At the rear, the plan was to splice that cable set into the tail lights using the diodes (to prevent back feed). I'm a bit concerned, however, that this arrangement, when used in conjunction with a supplementary brake, may cause a problem with turn signals in that the Jeep brake light (which operates with the ignition OFF) will override the turn signal sent back by the coach.

I didn't have this problem on the Wrangler as I fitted 2 large LED turn/brake/tail lights into the back bumper. I would like to do the same on the Cherokee but there aren't any nice flat vertical surfaces. Decision on what approach to take is pending.

At the front, the umbilical between the coach and the Jeep is a flex coil 7-pin to 6-pin cable which will, apart from the lighting circuits, carry a constant 12v feed that will maintain the Jeep's battery charge.

No decision yet on the brand of supplementary brake. Would you believe, some Mutant here (who shall remain nameless) does not believe it necessary!

Best regards,

Martin

Okay Martin for the record I never said it wasn't necessary! I do have a brake buddy but didn't bring it to GC . Also for the record, in Texas you can tow up to 4500 lbs without brake assist. I would normally take my brake buddy on long trips especially out of state but forgot it on GC trip. Now I'm out of the closet! LOL
Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #15422

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Sue,

I love this... Great beginnings...... Thanks for sharing....

Diane is holding my iPad using iRV2 mobile app........ So excuse the finger slides, please...

Diane; Glad to see you up and about so fast

Sue: Love that start on the orchid...be sure to post when done. Love that color!
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #15423

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post

Sue: Love that start on the orchid...be sure to post when done. Love that color!

Thanks! I plan to have fun with it, and I like it so far. If it's at all like the first flower, it will be between 20 and 40 hours to completion. Keeps me off the street.

Cheers!
Sue
Old 05-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #15424

Update. Looks Like I will be getting out Saturday morning and sent along with remaining meds and scripts for 30 days. They will make an appointment with my PC Dr and I will get new scripts from him. They told me they would schedule an appointment with the ENT Dr from the hospital.

I'm going to chew my PC Dr out. He talked me into a pneumonia shot and billed my insurance something like $133. Lot of good that did.

Still have to do some PT and swallowing exercises before they let me walk. They will transport me home and I don't have to have anyone baby sitting me. GF reminded me I don't have a house key and will lend me hers.

They will send someone over on Sunday with supplies and training. Don't know when I will get Sadie home. No biggie; She'll just lay around on the couch and sleep. She still loves me.

I spoke to the Dr in charge of this place about the delay in getting my meds and it worked. Got them right on time. Will probably only work for that one nurse. He still didn't sign the lorazapam script for some reason. Been sitting there for several days. I asked to up the strength of the Roxicet pain meds and he was reluctant. (Only taking 5/325). He was afraid I would end up back in the hospital.

Thanks for alll the support, ohms and prayers. Hope to be eating by mouth soon. Not sure how that is going to go.

Mike
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:28 AM   #15425

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
<snip>

Thanks for alll the support, ohms and prayers. Hope to be eating by mouth soon. Not sure how that is going to go.

Mike
Why, Mike... It's going to go just fine,... as fine as it was before getting the pneumonia stuff anyway! Put it out there and think about it positively and see it in your mind as you desire it to be.... (can't make it any worse anyway..LOL!) Have a mutanstick night!
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #15426

They say I aspirate everything I take by mouth. I think I do with thin liquids, but not cream soups and ice creams. Will be more careful and pay attention as I eat.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:06 AM   #15427
RVM64/RVillageAmbassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post

Thanks Cindy, im kinda in and out... Couldnt sleep so got uo and now im sleepy

Diane is holding my iPad using iRV2 mobile app........ So excuse the finger slides, please...
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #15428
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Found it hard to believe it is legal to ride in a travel trailer or 5th wheeler in my state and Missouri....
There are LOTS of states that allow being inside a travel trailer or 5th wheel while being towed.

Personally aside from feeling unsafe and being wagged back and forth to death, I wouldn't do it!

« Bananas | - »