Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #1695

CampDaven, you have the soul of a poet.
4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #1696

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Studies to ponder this situation seem to have proved inconclusive. It could also be spontaneous mutation, having nothing to do with either.

Cheers!
RVM36
I think it may fall into the same category as "Insanity is hereditary - we get it from our children".
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #1697

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

....Others like, even crave it.

Campfires are for.....

Late night stories, using the glow and flicker of the fire to highlight the menacing gestures in the real scary parts; the glow of the faces of children, the fire making the whites of their wide eyes glisten pinkly just before the horrifying finish; poking it with a stick and watching the last tiny embers twinkle like stars; the morning with the mixing smells and sounds of a campfire and an old percolator, crackling and bubbling; staring at the fire, having thoughts of everything or nothing as the fire performs its hypnotic dance.....

Dave and Nola
RVM1
I fall into the "crave it" camp, NPI. ("No pun intended"). Grew up with fires, and my job while the folks set up camp was to gather dry dead wood. Kept me out of their hair and let me be useful.

A family we used to camp with had 7 kids, & their job was to start & maintain the fire all day. Someone was always near it, and the kids were all busy & well-behaved. They were an important part of the vacation.

RV parks aren't usually the kind of place where you can do that, of course. Nat'l, state & county parks are more likely places. Then there's the issue of buying firewood. Some folks just refuse to do that. Others use a propane-fired thingamajig. Somehow a gas "fire" doesn't have quite the correct ambiance. ;0
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #1698

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids View Post
Thanks but....I cant rhyme worth a darn.
I call it prose. Notice how I slipped "pinkly" in there?
I was warned by teachers against not overusing the semicolon. I think they were incorrect. It is a very helpful friend!

Really! Thanks! I get inspired moments. Like to paint with words. You?

You teach. Bet you write well.
I'm glad to see cursif making a comeback. Getting a well-written letter in cursif adds such style and feeling.

My Mom was a teacher, grades 1-12, 1-room schoolhouse, MN farm country. She taught me some very useful things.

Dave
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #1699

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids
And I think he lifted his wallet too!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #1700

Oooh, bad choice! Any poets I've known have had empty wallets. Better combination would be the soul of a poet and the wallet of an attorney or investment broker.

RVM4
Old 07-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #1701

Quote:
Oooh, bad choice! Any poets I've known have had empty wallets. Better combination would be the soul of a poet and the wallet of an attorney or investment broker.

RVM4
Yes, poets always have more moths than money in their wallets.
I always had work.
Mom and Dad taught me how to save.
I found it could also be wisely invested, without greed, and used to pay it forward.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #1702

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids

RVM4
When you're right, you're right!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #1703

#34 here

The nice long week-end presented the necessary pondering time and space. Small bursts of brain energy come and then fade. However during one energy surge, I stumbled on a tidbit of fact.

Has to do with food, or more accurately what is IN food that we purchase with the false comfort that all that is sold, and labeled as "natural" is just as advertised. But nay ... ! Sneaky little tricks are being heaped on us, the trusting consumers that we are.

Here is one small example: Natural vanilla and natural raspberry flavoring. Hidden in that "natural" is the big secret. Hang on folks, this is not for the frail, weak, or unstable. Natural castoreum can be extracted commercially from the anal gland fluid of a beaver !! Castoreum IS that little natural tasty pizazz in my favorite raspberry "flavored" ice cream. Don't ask me how they (the big food industry) handle the extraction from beavers.

The rest of the informative article on Yahoo detailed other ingredient scares too. Didn't take me long to look over our food supply to carefully read labels. It may come to owning an empty fridge, and bare cupboards.

I will waste away to a mere shadow of my former self.

RVM-34 (The skinny one)
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #1704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
#34 here

The nice long week-end presented the necessary pondering time and space. Small bursts of brain energy come and then fade. However during one energy surge, I stumbled on a tidbit of fact.

Has to do with food, or more accurately what is IN food that we purchase with the false comfort that all that is sold, and labeled as "natural" is just as advertised. But nay ... ! Sneaky little tricks are being heaped on us, the trusting consumers that we are.

Here is one small example: Natural vanilla and natural raspberry flavoring. Hidden in that "natural" is the big secret. Hang on folks, this is not for the frail, weak, or unstable. Natural castoreum can be extracted commercially from the anal gland fluid of a beaver !! Castoreum IS that little natural tasty pizazz in my favorite raspberry "flavored" ice cream. Don't ask me how they (the big food industry) handle the extraction from beavers.

The rest of the informative article on Yahoo detailed other ingredient scares too. Didn't take me long to look over our food supply to carefully read labels. It may come to owning an empty fridge, and bare cupboards.

I will waste away to a mere shadow of my former self.

RVM-34 (The skinny one)
RVM34 (aka Skinny)

Wow! I learn something new every day, and sometimes it is not good. Useful though.

Thank goodness bourbon is still pure

Dave
Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #1705

Moonrover,
Buy a pint of raspberries at the farmers' market and make your own! Our newest addition to the RV is an ice cream freezer DH dug out of the attic and dusted off last week. Can't beat the taste of homemade ice cream--we did strawberry one day and s'mores flavored the next.
RVM4

Now, I've really got to get off the computer and go mow the lawn, vacuum the pool, all that stuff that didn't get done while I was gone for a week!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #1706

Quote:
Buy a pint of raspberries at the farmers' market and make your own! Our newest addition to the RV is an ice cream freezer DH dug out of the attic and dusted off last week. Can't beat the taste of homemade ice cream-- ...!
Agree, and the old hand cranked ice cream bucket is classic "American 4th of July in the back yard". Coldest ice cream on the planet and instant headache for those first big gulps. Great memories along with some red oak smoke wafting around the yard. Hot dogs blackened on one side, marshmallows briefly flaming, and a ton of laughter.

I have many mental pictures of days gone by ... Grandparents ... Parents ... Brothers and sisters ... Aunts, uncles ... Cousins. Many are gone now, but the memories never fade. Family back yard gatherings in the summer were always very special.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #1707

Talking Ice cream maker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Agree, and the old hand cranked ice cream bucket is classic "American 4th of July in the back yard". Coldest ice cream on the planet and instant headache for those first big gulps. Great memories along with some red oak smoke wafting around the yard. Hot dogs blackened on one side, marshmallows briefly flaming, and a ton of laughter.

I have many mental pictures of days gone by ... Grandparents ... Parents ... Brothers and sisters ... Aunts, uncles ... Cousins. Many are gone now, but the memories never fade. Family back yard gatherings in the summer were always very special.
Mmm-mmm! The ice cream freezer! Another thing I will need to pack, now that you remind me and now that I have a bit more space. My folks used theirs a lot, and I keep forgetting I have one. Just a baby one, but I hardly want or need that big ol' gallon size. A quart at a time allows more fun experimenting, eh? Who said S'mores flavor? Inspired!

Cheers!
RVM36
Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #1708

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sue - can ya figure a way to get the spinning wheel and the ice cream churn working together? You could make several quarts at a time. There's a mutation to ponder.