Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #1779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Well, OK ... hope it is not offensive to sensitive mutants.

Central Alabama RV Park Adventure

Never stay at an RV park near Cullman. The sign pointing to the park is on a nice smooth highway, but the steep dropping left turn onto the road to hell started at the sign. Down it went, things got worse. Hairpin twisting turns, and more steep declines. My wife screamed from somewhere in the rear of the bus something about the desk pencil drawer had popped open. She was trying to secure the other desk drawers when another sharp turn opened all of them. For the next half mile, she was being tossed around on the floor with the contents of several drawers. Luckily we did not meet any oncoming traffic when careening down the hills into the park. Finally the park entry loomed into sight. A golf cart with camp attendant was there to guide us to our parking spot. She reminded me of Minnie Pearl. Nice lady, but drove that golf cart like it was a Porsche. This place would make a good movie set for Deliverance. Beside that the place is a real challenge to get to. The so-called pull-through sites are very tight for a big rig in and out. Had the park been full, it would have been impossible for me to make the turns. Tree limbs are also an issue. Consider staying at a truck stop (ANY truck stop) before committing to stay at the Cullman Campground. Oh, almost forgot, there are plenty of permanent squatters who seem to always be out working on noisy pickup truck engines that won't start until they crank them for what seems like hours.
Strangely close "target practice" was going on out in the woods when we arrived. The management's blasé explanation that some good 'ol boys were just testing some new ammo did not really give me comfort. Each permanent resident has unique personas. Unexpectedly I was followed on my way back from the office to the bus. A bearded guy driving a makeshift car rolls up beside me with a blunt question. "Hey Mac, you sellin' dat bus?" I had to eek out a smile with my "No" for fear of sounding unfriendly. He was obviously wanting to engage in conversation, and I was cautiously trying to avoid one. First fear was what if he wanted to see the inside of our bus conversion. My wife would faint if I dragged home a 6'-8", 350#, bearded (belly length red), Hawaiian shirt wearing "local". The guy eased out of the car (it did not have a door) to chew a bit of local fat with me. I noticed he was wearing fuzzy bedroom slippers. He yammered about a fancy rig he "seen" up on the highway a while back. Wondered if I was somebody famous like an entertainer "thats drive round in buses". Still with my best effort to appear friendly, I felt myself slowly inching a bit backwards to get out of his downwind presence. Methinks bathing was not on his daily schedule, or even monthly for that matter.
Throughout the night there was frequent "ammo testing" in the woods. We rose early (first light) to make a fast decampment and wander up out of the valley to the main road. The only thing stopping us was a rusty tow truck that was partially blocking the park entry. Looked like the driver may have run out of gas during the night, or maybe he fell asleep and his old truck came to rest in the roadway. With great care, I eased the bus past the rear of the truck then roared up the twisty hills to the safety of known pavement.
Sounds like my kinda place
Did he offer to share his chewin tabacce?

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Can't find RVM20 - Oldme

Which remainder me that RVM19 - Toyduck is missing too. And where is TEFFY?
Hi, We're back
'
At least for a bit anyway. We were in CO, no internet..

But we avoided the 100+ HEAT WAVE

Made it to OH just in time for the tornados.

The tornado missed us but the 80+ winds didn't, been cleaning and chopping downed trees yesterday and today so we can get on with our family reunion.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #1781

OK, I give! I can't get caught up. Too many messages in too short a time...

any crib notes out there ... non copyrighted of course..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #1782

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just a ram update, our car mutated today from a ordinary automobile into a Toad. Just got the whole towing system done and picked it up today. I was a nervous wreck worrying if I was going to crash the side of the car every time I went around a corner.

Got back to the garage just fine, everything works except the darn GFI plug is tripping in the bathroom. Just replaced last summer, now I'm going to have to hunt down the problem.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #1783

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
RVM3, checking in. Looks like another hot one in good ole west Texas today.

Jerry
RVM3
Hey Jerry,

I lived in Midland, TX as a kid back in the 50's. I remember a sign on the highway that welcomed folks to Big Spring. The last line was "Home to xxxx friendly people and a few ole soreheads." I don't suppose it's still there, but I always chuckled as we drove past on the way to Granny's house in Albany.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #1784

There's a sign coming into Gila Bend that says about the same thing.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #1785

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Barb - you and Sena get all those chores done? Last we heard you had your work cut out for ya.

You sure aren't missing anything by not being down here now. It's heated up and I wound give anything for a little ocean breeze about now.

Have ya been able to visit Port Townsend?
Steve and Annie.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #1786

Well, RVMdom, I have been busy. Very busy!

When we are in PA, all of the sorrid details of putting together the stuff of life that keeps us free for about 9 months has to be tended to. But, occasional time with kids and grands and former neighbors makes it quite tollerable.

I have read all of the posts from those that checked in, and wish I could comment on them all. There is some grand Mutation going on, and all of it first rate!

And my thanks for the nice contributions of 2 lurkers, Clifftall and Baddad53. I sense Mutations there!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #1787
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I just mutated out of my work clothes into my swim suit, produced a cocktail and am going to jump in my pool.

Ya gotta love Fridays after being on-call for two weeks straight! Phew!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #1788

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You sure aren't missing anything by not being down here now. It's heated up and I wound give anything for a little ocean breeze about now.

Definitely too hot to do anything but hang by the air conditioning....even the pool water is too warm. Time for these mutants to head back nort!

RVM31
Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #1789
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Hey Barb - you and Sena get all those chores done? Last we heard you had your work cut out for ya.

Have ya been able to visit Port Townsend?
Steve and Annie.
Whoosh! Whoosh! Best I can do for you, but come on down and get some breeze. We have it at least 11 months out of the year. Come Oh-Dark-Thirty it gets real nice outside. The last couple nights it even got down into the high 70's.

Nice thing about being on the Coast. We are typically 5 degrees cooler in the summer and 5 degrees warmer in the Winter than Houston.

Whoosh! Whoosh! Still the best I can do for you. Haven't brushed my teeth yet so you should get the full effect. About the same as living around one of the petro/chem plants.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #1790

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now Wayne - you know I grew up smelling Texas City if the wind blew one direction and Pasadena if it blew another. Thanks for the memories - but I was more hoping for a Pacific breeze from up Barbs way.

Can't believe she and our mascot are having so much fun they couldn't offer a little cool weather to us mutants in the heat. Lol.
RVM2
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #1791

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Now Wayne - you know I grew up smelling Texas City if the wind blew one direction and Pasadena if it blew another. Thanks for the memories - but I was more hoping for a Pacific breeze from up Barbs way.

Can't believe she and our mascot are having so much fun they couldn't offer a little cool weather to us mutants in the heat. Lol.
RVM2
A pleasant 68 degrees with ocean breezes predicted here on the Oregon coast today. Yes, I'm rubbing it in, I know.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #1792

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Hey Barb, that wasn't Big Spring where that sign is. That sign is outside of Stanton, TX. 20 miles west of us. and yep it is still there.

Jerry