Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #19083

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh Don's a LONG way from being able to do any of those things now. He's still totally tube fed, can't sit without back support, can only say words that use the back of the mouth because he's still working on getting his tongue and lips to work. He has small movement in some muscles, but not enough that he can do anything for himself. He'll need 24 hour care for months.

He's coming home because Medicare and his insurance will stop paying and he REALLY wants out of the hospital. I call him the $6,000,000 man because that's about what it will soon cost just to keep him alive. He had over $1M in lab tests and MRIs in just the first 5 weeks. This is a devastating disease, but strangely it's one that most people recover from.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #19084

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Strange thing happened to me this morning. I woke early, had coffee watched the weather and started getting dressed to do some chores outside. I kept hearing this mumble. I checked on Mary, she hadn't said anything. Anyway it was long pants and cowboy boot weather, in the mid 60's, almost a chile. Yet I could hear this sound. Stepped outside and back in to get tractor keys and again the sound, this time I could make it out. Come get me, Take me with you, Lets go hunting!

Yep, looking into the gun closet there it set. 12 gauge squirrel gun felt the chill and thought it was game on!

Not today big boy, but soon.
Jeff, you ever have that happen?
Hey Tim !!

Yep more than once, and more often since my long guns aren't as close as they used to be.

Cheers !!!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #19085

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
For the record, as best as I can recall, we have 5 RVMs who hail from the provinces. Y'all forgot Leslie, AKA Enokie. We haven't heard from her in quite a while.
Excellent Call Barb!! I don't read as many other threads as I once did but don't recall Enokie posting much elsewhere either. Hopefully out have a grand time in the rainbow!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #19086

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Strange thing happened to me this morning. I woke early, had coffee watched the weather and started getting dressed to do some chores outside. I kept hearing this mumble. I checked on Mary, she hadn't said anything. Anyway it was long pants and cowboy boot weather, in the mid 60's, almost a chile. Yet I could hear this sound. Stepped outside and back in to get tractor keys and again the sound, this time I could make it out. Come get me, Take me with you, Lets go hunting!

Yep, looking into the gun closet there it set. 12 gauge squirrel gun felt the chill and thought it was game on!

Not today big boy, but soon.
Jeff, you ever have that happen?
Wow - you Arkansas boys apparently don't like squirrel much. 12 gauge squirrel gun - how big are these squirrel? Dowm here in Texas we shoot em with a slingshot or just hit em with a rock. We also only shoot or throw at em with our less dominate arm - for me it's left handed. Otherwise we tear em up so much we and might as well use a 12 Guage.

BTW - ever since Sparky came to live with us about 15 years ago - we have given up on hunting squirrel. And Sparky asked to see a picture of you and then went and hid in the other room. LOL
Old 07-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #19087

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Happy to hear he is getting close to getting home! Just go easy on him... when he is tired... he will be actually totally spent... so don't push to much... he will be pushing himself hard enough... anything and everything he does will be 'therapy' so to speak... brushing his teeth, to eating his food, to just getting in and out of bed when able.
Are you sure you were a physical therapist....
Old 07-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #19088

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Are you sure you were a physical therapist....
Good enough to know some things you just don't push too hard on or else they get broke.....
Many of the patients I ended up with were MS patients, as well as my mom and sis having that, so I learned. But... the hardest part for me was sitting on my hands... I have too much of a helper personality...
Give me some knees to crank on... oh yeah...
Old 07-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #19089

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Give me some knees to crank on... oh yeah...
Now that sounds more like it. When my hand was skin graffed and in a cast broken and road rashed - they said come back in two weeks and make a fist. It was stuck open - could not move it at all. I said what if I can't - he said when you come back - I will make fist for you and you can come back in two weeks and open it.

Two weeks later I made a fist - and have full mobility. But I do get your point. I had to push through some things and having someone push ya too hard - say to tears is no help. Takes a certain skill to where the line is. Sounds like you knew. Still - I am too big a softy to do it. Bless them that do it right!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #19090

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Say what! It depends on a person's perspective. Of the 10 provinces name one that is different, beside Quebec. Hee hee!
Well, there's Newfoundland, always a half hour ahead of the rest of us, lol. and just about another planet. The Newfie jokes are legion, but all told with love...them's family after all, just like those left coasters in BC. You know who you are. Then there's the rest of us in the middle. [/QUOTE]

So Tina - Knock Knock - Who's there? Newfoundland. Newfoundland who? Newfoundland know what your trailer looks like that's who!!! LOL!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #19091
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Great lunch menu!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	68037  
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 AM   #19092

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Sounds like a good time!
We have been to VB a few times over Thanksgiving. Good eats, great shopping.
You know, pics or.....

We are going to Myrtle Beach for the iRV national rally. We can't wait!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:30 AM   #19093

R U an RV Mutant too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamtns View Post
We are going to Myrtle Beach for the iRV national rally. We can't wait!

Wow! "V" is not even close to "M", and I am not even a finger slider!
Broadway at the Beach was a lot of fun.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #19094

Brag moment:
This is my Grand Daughter Megan, driving an M113 troop carrier. As a field medic, they get taught many things.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405514257.415627.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	68045
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:40 AM   #19095
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Great Words To Live By!

Getting along — Pointers for a great RV partnership
by Greg Illes

It is said that wherever your relationship is going, traveling together in an RV will take it there sooner. Here are some thoughts and pointers for traveling (and living) in close quarters with your loved one.

"Right" and "Wrong" — get rid of them
Does your brain work like this: "If I think one thing, and somebody else thinks differently — well, then, if I am right they must be wrong." Ain't necessarily so. Two people can be very different, and both can be right. Remember that old "I'm OK — You're OK" book? Same idea. Blame, hurt, guilt — these are all part of being wrong, and they should not be part of your RV cargo.

You can't fix the other guy
Remember how hard it was for you to change something in yourself that you really wanted to change (quitting smoking, fear of snakes, whatever)? Imagine if someone was demanding you change. Now imagine how difficult it would be to force a change in someone else who doesn't even want to change. Let's face it — we can barely, sometimes, make small fixes to ourselves. There's just no way we can fix the other person. Let's not try.

Are you a partner or a dependent?
Are you more concerned about loving your partner well or that your partner loves you? When you disagree, are you more concerned for your partner's welfare or your own? Who would you rather turn out to be right? (There's that word again.) Look for ways to care more about your partner than you care what he/she thinks of you.

Make it "their" choice
When you know they're wrong (there's that word again), and you know exactly how they can fix it, and you just can't keep your mouth shut (this happens to us all) — give them the choice — really, give it to them. Be fully okay with what they decide. Try using a question instead of a command: "Do you think it would work better if you tried this?" instead of, "You should really do this thing this way."

Nobody is (or can be) perfect
We've heard this so often that we no longer listen. All of us are riddled with imperfections. We'll never fix them all — so let's concentrate on the serious issues and let the petty stuff slide. Ask yourself: Is this really a serious issue with your partner? Be honest.

Right things are done for right reasons
A fundamental truth: Every human on earth makes the best decision they can at every moment of their lives. Sometimes they base decisions on horribly flawed data or dismally bad influences, and very poor decisions result. But those crummy decisions are the result of the information worked with, not any intrinsic failing of the person.

Respect is the cornerstone
Love is mercurial, capricious, magical and maddening. Respect, on the other hand, is foundational, heartfelt and lasting. Know, deeply, that your companion is being the best person possible. Respect them for that and help them — cooperatively, gently, supportively — in any way you can.

Can you wait?
In relationships, patience is a huge virtue. Today's insufferable torture can well be tomorrow's minor annoyance. Today's steadfast refusal to change drifts into a bemused "we'll see" later in the week. Moods and attitudes do change — even your own.

What do you really want?
Be honest with yourself. A "want" can be a must-have or a nice-to-have. Try to place as many as possible in the nice-to-have category, because this enables that "choice" for your partner. A must-have is a non-negotiable demand and should be used rarely if at all. So what if you are presented with a must-have? A refusal puts you both in the rock-and-a-hard-place scenario — not good. How about a more flexible, "I really, really want this (grin)" or "Well, let's talk about it (wink)," as a starting point.

Negotiate for fun, but not for love
Approval, respect, love — these are not for sale. "I'll do the dishes, you take out the trash" is fine. But approval, disapproval, love or shame should not be involved. Every partnership is a compendium of trade-offs. Make them cheerfully. If you love and respect your partner, you will not be concerned about getting the best of the deal; in fact, you'll try to give them the advantage — because they are worth it.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #19096
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
When you and Herb are together, and you both turn sideways, who's on first?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
Okay Grand Poohbah let's not go there. LOL
You can go there all you want. The other mutants are so grateful that you are not picking on them. Right Herb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
Wow our Canuck branch of the family keeps growing. Shows how much I don't pay attention to nationalities. All I see is a mutant family.
You would see a lot more if you would take your head........well, you'd see a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
[...]I have promised to help with his care. So you'll either hear from me a lot, meaning I'm babysitting him, OR ... You won't hear from me hardly at all because he has me helping with his therapy several hours each day. Only time will tell.

I owe them a huge debt of gratitude. They have hosted us for the 3 summers and we stayed here last winter. Arlene helped me thru neurosurgery in November and double total knee replacement in February. I'm honored to be able to return the favor. AND, as the only member on his team neither married to him, or on his payroll, he won't be able to bully me. I'm looking forward to being a pain in his derričre and reminding him that his life was saved for a reason.
Barb, you are called an "Angel" in many circles, ours included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Wow - you Arkansas boys apparently don't like squirrel much. 12 gauge squirrel gun - how big are these squirrel? Dowm here in Texas we shoot em with a slingshot or just hit em with a rock. We also only shoot or throw at em with our less dominate arm - for me it's left handed. Otherwise we tear em up so much we and might as well use a 12 Guage.

BTW - ever since Sparky came to live with us about 15 years ago - we have given up on hunting squirrel. And Sparky asked to see a picture of you and then went and hid in the other room. LOL
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote