Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #20777
MPH

Mutants Untie and Unite!

Well, after typing "zen" in the iRV2 search bar and searching in "posts," I happened on this thread. Hmmmm ... Strange forces at work in the universe ....

Being laid up following knee surgery (open fracture of my right knee cap ... don't ask ... it's embarrassing!), my entertainment is via my laptop. This thread has had me laughing til I cried. Literally. I happened on a post and decided to get on board and start from the beginning. whew. Y'all are a bunch of talkers! Suffice it to say that after reading through about page 17, I started jumping forward. It was like going through space in warp drive (which I hope to do some day).

My journey through this thread has helped me discover something about myself: I am definitely mutant. I first had hints of this as an 8 year-old when I wanted to spend the night alone on a mountain above the timberline after hiking there with my dad. (He was mutant, too, but tethered to earth by my non-mutant mom, so he made me hike back down with him.) It came up again at age 9 when I won a fight with the baddest bully in my school after he stole my best friend Charlene's winter coat and threw it in a toilet in the boys' room.

But the clincher was when my best college friend and I struck out in her VW Beetle with 2 sleeping bags, a box of wooden matches, 2 mega-pocket knives, a hatchet, a roll of foil and paper towels, paper plates, my guitar and an ice chest full of BACON, eggs, steaks, potatoes, carrots, apples and Dr. Peppers and took off over spring break ... with NO PLAN whatsoever. We camped in the open with no tent and nearly got shot by some cowboys 'cause we were on their dang deer lease! But, being mutant, I got us outta that one.

My mutant ways are leading me and DW to life on the road in a Class C MH. We want a walk-around bed (she'll kick me out when I start snoring), a booth (for storage and extra bed), sofa (extra bed), an over-cab bed (storage and privacy for sons & d-i-laws who may join us for a few days here and there) and a gener (we'll do some boondocking to calm my mutant soul). Don't need or want an outside kitchen. What's wrong with a fire ring and an ice chest on the picnic table? We've made a plan to tour the US and parts of Canada over the course of a year and other than that, we're open to the Universe. (Trip starts in late Feb. or early Mar, 2016, after DW retires.)

My happiest times are: 1) on the road with or in whatever RV we have at the time 2) set up in a beautiful campsite and 3) meeting others who embrace the RV life. Well, and playing music of the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s for folks in nursing, assisted living and retirement homes. I get them singing along and their joyful response brings tears to my eyes! I absolutely love making those folks smile. Had a band in college, toured, recorded, etc. Good times, for sure. But nothing like singing "South of the Border" and "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree" with the 80 & 90 yr olds in the nursing homes who've often been forgotten by their families.

Ok, I've been WAY too long-winded here; but remember, I'm bored as hell with my knee immobilized and nothing but time on my hands! And if you've read all the way to "here" you only have yourself to blame.

Peace, love and pass the understanding around ... the world sure needs more of it!

Melanie "Mel"
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #20778

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Can you ID this bird?

Attachment 71338

It has just finished raining and this guy needed to dry out, apparently.

Attachment 71341

All closed up and looking around for action ... or inaction, as the case may be.

These are not such great shots, but I just couldn't get any closer for some reason.
Not ours.... Hey Elizabeth. You guys missing a bird...

If I had mastered these books I could paint it for you.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #20779

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Or these books
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408477526069.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	71350  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #20780

Newmar Owners Club
Mel, if you read all 1485 pages, you really have more time on your hands then most... You are definitely a mutant and riding the rainbow is what it's all about!

I think I drank too much of the kool-aid
Old 08-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #20781

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Well, after typing "zen" in the iRV2 search bar and searching in "posts," I happened on this thread. Hmmmm ... Strange forces at work in the universe ....

Being laid up following knee surgery (open fracture of my right knee cap ... don't ask ... it's embarrassing!), my entertainment is via my laptop. This thread has had me laughing til I cried. Literally. I happened on a post and decided to get on board and start from the beginning. whew. Y'all are a bunch of talkers! Suffice it to say that after reading through about page 17, I started jumping forward. It was like going through space in warp drive (which I hope to do some day).

My journey through this thread has helped me discover something about myself: I am definitely mutant. I first had hints of this as an 8 year-old when I wanted to spend the night alone on a mountain above the timberline after hiking there with my dad. (He was mutant, too, but tethered to earth by my non-mutant mom, so he made me hike back down with him.) It came up again at age 9 when I won a fight with the baddest bully in my school after he stole my best friend Charlene's winter coat and threw it in a toilet in the boys' room.

But the clincher was when my best college friend and I struck out in her VW Beetle with 2 sleeping bags, a box of wooden matches, a roll of foil and paper towels, my guitar and an ice chest full of BACON, eggs, steaks, potatoes, carrots, apples and Dr. Peppers and took off over spring break -- with NO PLAN whatsoever. We camped in the open with no tent and nearly got shot by some cowboys 'cause we were on their dang deer lease! But, being mutant, I got us outta that one.

My mutant ways are leading me and my DW to life on the road in a Class C MH. We want a walk-around bed (she'll kick me out when I start snoring), a booth (for storage and extra bed), sofa (extra bed), an over-cab bed (storage and privacy for sons & d-i-laws who may join us for a few days here and there) and a gener (we'll do some boondocking to calm my mutant soul). Don't need or want an outside kitchen. What's wrong with a fire ring and an ice chest on the picnic table? We've made a plan to tour the US and parts of Canada over the course of a year and other than that, we're open to the Universe. (Trip starts in late Feb. or early Mar, 2016, after DW retires.)

My happiest times are: 1) on the road with or in whatever RV we've owned 2) set up in a beautiful campsite and 3) meeting others who embrace the RV life. Well, and playing music of the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s for folks in nursing, assisted living and retirement homes. I get them singing along and their joyful response brings tears to my eyes! I absolutely love making those folks smile. Had a band in college, toured, recorded, etc. Good times, for sure. But nothing like singing "South of the Border" and "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree" with the 80 & 90 yr olds in the nursing homes who've often been forgotten by their families.

Ok, I've been WAY too long-winded here; but remember, I'm bored as hell with my knee immobilized and nothing but time on my hands! And if you've read all the way to "here" you only have yourself to blame.

Peace, love and pass the understanding around ... the world sure needs more of it!

Melanie "Mel"

Zen? You got here by "zen"??? Ok, so zen what? (Sorry, cheap joke.)

Welcome, Mel! You're halfway to becoming our next official Mutant, as I'm sure wiser heads than mine will also inform you. We already know you don't have and don't miss an outdoor kitchen. Me neither!

I met you recently over on another thread, so your name is familiar. Glad to see you here! Declare for us that the journey is the destination, as you seem to have described, and I imagine the Grand Poobah or Great Potentate will pop along to welcome you into the madness and make it Official.

Cheers!
Sue #36
Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #20782

Quote:

Didn't steal the bird. Honest, Elizabeth! No need to count beaks!
Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #20783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
We keep it on hand too. But what is this world coming to, when one of those cans is SPICY Spam?! Yee-gads and gadzooks!

Or as Mother used to say, "Ye gods and little fishes!"
Yikes! I haven't heard that expression since MY mother used it! Must be a generational thing, lol.

PS have a fun and safe trip
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #20784

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
From the shape of the head... I was thinking turkey vulture... buzzards as some call them... but again, would need to see head color...

Bingo! Even w/o head color. Good job! I tried to get the silhouette properly, but he moved as I snapped. I had Poblano peppers under the oven grill and had to sprint back to the kitchen.

This guy/gal is one of our long term neighbors, his family going back several generations. One youngster a few years ago came along and did the drying out trick on our upstairs deck railing ... about 6' from my face, through the window. It was amazing to be so close.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #20785

R U an RV Mutant too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Yikes! I haven't heard that expression since MY mother used it! Must be a generational thing, lol.

PS have a fun and safe trip

My English FIL used to say "Lord love a duck!"

Thanks, Tina. We hope for the same, but for some reason Martin thinks we need to pack bandaids this time. I hope it isn't prophetic!

Sounds like you've had some good travels lately. Your parks sound super.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #20786
MPH

What? There are folks who really don't KNOW that the journey IS the destination?! The next class starts ..... No, never mind. If they don't know by the time they've found this thread and these folks, you can't teach 'em.

Life is short. Eat more bacon, chew the fat, and throw out the itinerary.

Mel
Old 08-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #20787

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
From the shape of the head... I was thinking turkey vulture... buzzards as some call them... but again, would need to see head color...
Speaking of Buzzards! Quick trip to the deer woods found this..... Seems a buzzard has built a nest and raised these two off springs in one of my deer stands. Couldn't run these guys out, they haven't flown yet and only hopped back and forth as I threw sticks at them. Man what a smell, what a mess to clean up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	71360  
Old 08-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #20788

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Woot! Cute!

Come on mutants... let's see the baby pics. And perhaps this will be precursor of a new GC game... bring baby pics - make poster - we will have guessing game - Name that Baby Mutant...
Best of many!
Attached Images

Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #20789

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Speaking of Buzzards! Quick trip to the deer woods found this..... Seems a buzzard has built a nest and raised these two off springs in one of my deer stands. Couldn't run these guys out, they haven't flown yet and only hopped back and forth as I threw sticks at them. Man what a smell, what a mess to clean up!

Oh pheeeew! I'm sure it was a mess! You shoulda housebroke 'em!
Old 08-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #20790
MPH

For the record...

The journey IS the destination. And may we never forget it.

Mel