Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #23689

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mel,

By bells and whistles I mean those nice luxury items that are motorized or electronic. Heated and cooled cup holders?? Have you budgeted for repairs or considered an extended warranty?

I bought a new MoHo because I didn't want the expense and hassle of repairs, especially when I was in unfamiliar territory. My RV is 3.5 years old and I've had to replace the refrigerator cooling unit ($700) and the converter ($175) along with a host of smaller items. Those are just the parts cost. I've been lucky to have friends help with the labor. RV repair shops can charge $110/hour or more.

I realize that new is beyond your budget, but full timing is hard on RVs and like a sticks & bricks house, repairs and maintanence are a constant expense. The more things that can break, the more that will.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #23690
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
We prefer a booth, too. Had booths in our travel trailers and like them for several reasons; storage is one & grandchild sleeping space is another.

We really like the layout in the Discovery. No problem to replace floor covering or get rugs, buy new mattress or bedspread.

Not sure what "bells and whistles" you're referring to, Barb. ???

I think the Discovery in Haslett is over-priced.

Thanks everyone!

Mel
Mel,
We also prefer the booth. As you stated, good storage and just another place should the need arise for grand-kids, like ours. One can get a lot of kitchen appliances in those booth storage areas.

However, do not let the lack of a booth stop you. Most manufactures make the same coach with and without a booth, so if you really like one and it has a table in it, most likely a booth could be added when the finances catch up. So get one you really like and add or take away the things you do/don't like later on.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #23691

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mel,
About the 'orphan' unit you all decided not to go with... if you really liked it, consider how often you would be close to where a unit is made... are you always going to take it back to the maker to get it fixed? engine work on on the type you prefer can be done by many places around the country as truckers need them to be dispersed....and for the house parts... well, most RV tech places can handle the old orphan units just as well as those which aren't. Seems to me, the only time you really need to go back to factory is when you buy new and they don't get it right the first time. JMO gleaned after reading the boards here for 2 + years. YMMV as another mutant is fond of saying...
Old 10-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #23692
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
Hey Mel the Discovery in Haslet is 15 min from our home base so ifin you get interested more I would be happy to run over and lay eyes on it for you and kick the tires so to speak. Can shoot a bunch of photos as well. Just lemme know.
Oh, my! What a very nice thing to offer. That would be wonderful!!! You could tell me right off the bat if it's a gem or a clod. That way I'd know whether to come out and look, test drive, etc. or just pass Iit over.

They may have other coaches on the lot we should look at, and if you run over there, maybe you could let me know about any that look good.. I am thinking of driving over there Sat. if the Discovery is worth looking at.

Our price point is going to be $40k or less.

If you decide to go over there, let me know so I can pm you my cell #.

Thanks so much, Herb!
Mel
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #23693

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cocktails for 6 - Dinner for 4 - Sleeps 2..

What is Ideal size of motorhome to win Alex...

Wayne - are you telling me that your round shape fits comfortably in that booth. Booth - schmooth - give me a table and a chair to push away from it with anyday... LOL - diversity is the spice of life.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #23694

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ditto on the table and chairs vs. Booth debate.

Mel I can definitely go look for you. I will go this week probably tomorrow if nothing else gets in the way. I will let you know. PM me your #.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #23695

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Mel I can definitely go look for you. I will go this week probably tomorrow if nothing else gets in the way. I will let you know. PM me your #.
Herb - can you email me the info you sent Tim. He says It looks like CL is charging for the pavilion... wants me to look at it...
Old 10-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #23696
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Mel,

By bells and whistles I mean those nice luxury items that are motorized or electronic. Heated and cooled cup holders?? Have you budgeted for repairs or considered an extended warranty?

I bought a new MoHo because I didn't want the expense and hassle of repairs, especially when I was in unfamiliar territory. My RV is 3.5 years old and I've had to replace the refrigerator cooling unit ($700) and the converter ($175) along with a host of smaller items. Those are just the parts cost. I've been lucky to have friends help with the labor. RV repair shops can charge $110/hour or more.

I realize that new is beyond your budget, but full timing is hard on RVs and like a sticks & bricks house, repairs and maintanence are a constant expense. The more things that can break, the more that will.
Oh, ok. I see what you mean. Actually, after we sell our primary home, we will set aside a nice chunk and designate it the RV repair/maintenance fund. Won't touch it except when needed for the RV.

A couple of folks I know personally have had good luck with older (12-15 y/o) coaches. So, we will try it.

I'm fairly handy and can take care of some things, as I did with our previous travel trailers. As far as heated/cooled cup holders, if they break...they break. Wouldn't even want to get those repaired!
Old 10-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #23697
MPH

Quote:

You're a pal! Pm on the way.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #23698

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mel - you will be fine with "new to you" as long as you do your due diligence.

I am glad others buy new and work the bugs out and take the initial depreciation hit so I don't have to.

I have read so many horror stories of new coaches - all brands - makes and models - spending months in the shop. So.. new does not mean trouble free.

Take your time - watch the mail for the books Annie and I are sending you - study - figure out what you want - and need - and can't do without - must have - nice to have - and be ready. You may go for weeks - months - without anything to ponder. Then one day there will be 2 or 3 and ya need to be ready. When Annie and I flew to Albuquerque to look at Bonita - our go bags with dishes - sheets - towels - etc were packed. We called the airline - the hotel - the airport shuttle - Enterprise Rental and off we went. We got lucky - we didn't have to do it two or three times - but we were ready too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1412622533263.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	75887  
Old 10-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #23699

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mel,

When Denise and I found our Class A it was by accident. We went to Courtenay BC to look at what turned out to be a real dud. On the way to the closest shopping mall, DW needed rejuvenation and had to ensure her black belt in shopping we happened to turn down a road and saw our future MH.

When you find yours you will know!

Although YMMV.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #23700

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Mel,

When Denise and I found our Class A it was by accident. We went to Courtenay BC to look at what turned out to be a real dud. On the way to the closest shopping mall, DW needed rejuvenation and had to ensure her black belt in shopping we happened to turn down a road and saw our future MH.

When you find yours you will know!

Although YMMV.
Dennis I thought my wife was the only black belt in shopping.......misery loves company.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #23701

R U an RV Mutant too?

So, with gatherings in mind, Nola and I are making Dolmades (stuffed grape leaves). Yeah, Greek. (Toga party?) 😀👍👏✌️
If it turns out as good as it looks (simmering now), would there be any RVMs that might like this for an Hors d'oeuvre? Hmmmm?
It aint bacon for a change! 😉

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412628427.881819.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	744.0 KB
ID:	75891

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412628440.719341.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	709.5 KB
ID:	75892

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412628451.694123.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	849.5 KB
ID:	75893

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/18842...d-grape-leaves
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #23702

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
So, with gatherings in mind, Nola and I are making Dolmades (stuffed grape leaves). Yeah, Greek. (Toga party?) 😀👍👏✌️
If it turns out as good as it looks (simmering now), would there be any RVMs that might like this for an Hors d'oeuvre? Hmmmm?
It aint bacon for a change! 😉
Attachment 75891
Attachment 75892
Attachment 75893

My Own Famous Stuffed Grape Leaves Recipe - Allrecipes.com
But it could be added, n'est ce pas?
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote