Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #239

iRV2 No Limits Club
Teardrops can be as as simple as sheets of plywood screwed together on a Harbor Freight trailer or as elaborate as you wish. And yes I have to admit our teardrop is at the far end of elaborate. I spent sixty years in tents, and our kids grew up in them. Then we saw RV Crazy (which has a large teardrop coverage) and decided that a teardrop was just the ticket to getting off the ground. Being in QC during my working career I studied what fails in trailers, wood and rust. The first trailer was a learning experience by a start up company but was 6X10 all aluminum frame Filon skin Grasshopper design. There were things we did not like about it and to make a long story short we now own the seventh one they made with all of the improvements. I wanted it set up for serious boondocking and all of the electrical needs are taken care of by solar, water filters allow me to take water out of streams and lakes and make it potable. It has a flat screen TV/DVD, XM radio, 6 gal water heater, marine LED lights 3 burner Atwood SS cook top, Espar diesel heater and a 5,000 BTU AC, Bullfinch gas point and external shower point, rain tarps for three sides, Waeco 120AC 12DC refrigerator, air filter purifier (I am asthmatic). I have not been successful in posting pictures here but can give the URL from our T&TTT forum gallery. Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View album - Shadow Catcher Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View image - Above the tree line Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View image - DSC 0197 (2) [1024x768]

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #240
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
RVM1, I was a Navy Corpsman from 1969-1974. 2 1/2 years regular Navy and the same amount of time with the Marine Corps.

RVM3
Ahhh! Our war. Could say much, but not now.
My grand daughter is an Army medic. Yeah, proud. She will do well there, and be a fine RVM when the time comes.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #241
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
I clearly am an RVM as I learned the difference between wanting and getting growing up. I look at fancy new MH's with 600 hp and more stuff than I can imagine. Then I look around ours and see we have one of everything we need and we get 9 mpg. Did I mention I am a techno want person who has a nine year old computer and it works just fine so that want needs to wait. Now if camera gear were the criteria I will fail the test to be an RVM. Rvm21
Alan, photography has been my expression media since I was 9.
We may have some fine conversation one day!

If ya got time:
http://davenola.blogspot.com

Dave
RVM1

Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #242

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great write ups and beautiful pix. What long lens do you use? I have become a Sony person since I bought a 70 to 400mm lens. Love he new Nikon but I think an Alpha 99 is my next camera after the price comes down a lot. Just returned from Zambia a few weeks ago and this is one of my favorite shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4258202981.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	558.8 KB
ID:	37824  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #243
HHg

The reason he doesn't miss all the goodies is because he's never had them !!

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #244

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg
The reason he doesn't miss all the goodies is because he's never had them !!

Hhg
Curious - do you miss not having 500 HP and the other 5' you don't have now? You've made a bit of a bumpy entry, but you may be an RVM too and not realize it. RVMs have lots of things - some more - some less. We are happy with what we have, don't miss what we don't have. We make the journey our destination. If you can get your head around that, you just may have what it takes to be an RVM. If not. Thanks for stopping by.

Name:	image-1160234074.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	37825
RVM2
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #245
RVM1

Quote:
Great write ups and beautiful pix. What long lens do you use? I have become a Sony person since I bought a 70 to 400mm lens. Love he new Nikon but I think an Alpha 99 is my next camera after the price comes down a lot. Just returned from Zambia a few weeks ago and this is one of my favorite shots.
That is a super pic, Alan!

Thanks for your compliments!

This may surprise you, RVM21.
I had SLRs and lenses that went up to 230mm. I had about 50 lbs of it that sat on a shelf after I went digital.
Early pics on my blog were with a 9 year old Sony digital with a 4x zoom.
Most pics are with a tiny Canon SX230HS digital (about $300) with 14x optical/56x digital zoom. And I have never had it out of auto mode! So easy and so very good.
All panoramics are with my iPhone 4S.

Dave
RVM1

Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #246
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I still have my Pentax SP 1000 fully "manual" camera. I believe it's just about 50 years old. Mine has the screw mount lens before bayonet mount came out.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #247

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good morning RVMs and future RVMs! One thing that happens when a tread gets 240+ posts along and 21 RVMs joining in the journey is that new readers don't start at the beginning. They read the most recent post or two and as a result, don't fully get the ideas expressed from the start and developed along the way.

It's one thing to not miss what you don't need or don't have. Another to find the journey to be as good or better than the destination. Making the journey the destination is really a big part of the RVM life. After all, there are many ways to get to a destination - planes, trains, automobiles, ferry boat and so on. When you decide that an RV is the way to do it, you make the journey an adventure - the destination is getting out in the road to somewhere. You see things along that way that may divert you from that "ideal" destination. You experience unexpected events and you adapt, mutate and accept that going into it. That's the RVM ante. You relish the life on the road and the journey becomes or is the destination. Sure you want to get where your going - but the getting there is a reward unto itself.

As for not having things and not missing what you don't have - well that's an individual decision. More - less - bigger - smaller - it's not a status thing with RVMs - it's a comfort and happiness thing. What makes you comfortable and happy is what you need and you don't miss the other things because you don't need them.

Early on in the thread I shared some words from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. For me - this quote describes my RVM feeling about what I have and don't have in my "machine".

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

If you're happy with your machine, don't miss what you don't have and the journey is your destination, you may be an RV Mutant. Tell us about it and become RVM22. The floor is open.

Name:	image-4066348727.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	37839
RVM2
Steve and Annie
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #248

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Awesome pic!

I am in the process of selling all the stuff out of my S&B home and moving into our MH on or about May 13th. S&B looks like I've been robbed! It will be officially on the market ASAP after the 13th.

I use to do a fair amount of photography but other hobbies got in the way. I had an awesome Nikon FA with motor drive and assorted lenses. Well, my camera body is worth more as a paper weight than a camera. I have been using a nice digital Cannon model (non-DSLR) but looking to return back to photography with our impending travels on the horizon. I kept my lenses because I understand that all Nikon lenses still fit the new Nikon bodies even though I won't have auto focus. If not, more paper weights and I will look at the Cannon line closer.

OH...BTW...I will claim RVM22
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #249

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sky_boss - well Don - it took ya long enough to get here but Welcome to RVMdom! Now it's time to confess - having just purchased your "new to you" DSDP - you have to tell us at least one thing you don't have and don't miss. For a list of possibles - see the first post of this thread. I'm sure Newmar left something out you don't need, don't have and don't miss. Of course that storage you have where the dishwasher used to be qualifies.

Welcome RVM22.
RVM2 - Steve and Annie
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #250

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Sky_boss - well Don - it took ya long enough to get here but Welcome to RVMdom! Now it's time to confess - having just purchased your "new to you" DSDP - you have to tell us at least one thing you don't have and don't miss. For a list of possibles - see the first post of this thread. I'm sure Newmar left something out you don't need, don't have and don't miss. Of course that storage you have where the dishwasher used to be qualifies.

Welcome RVM22.
RVM2 - Steve and Annie
DAMN - You know me too well! LOL Yep, don't miss nor want the dishwasher. (I think that would be called, "leading the witness". LOL

3 weeks of garage sales and LOTS of stuff that we won't miss and won't want.

I won't miss the construction of the Condos behind my S&B that will block up my view...I will trade that for a view that never gets boring because I have the ability change it.

Good start?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #251

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A start indeed. More coach related would be in line but you are officially RVM22. A welcome member for sure.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I still have my booklets, cassette tapes and VHS from NYIP mail classes - my AE1P and A2E. Filters, polarizers etc in various sizes for lenses. Guess they will go to the highest low bid on eBay when we go full time. Can't see taking them full time when I have a couple adequate digitals and the iPhone. Digital isn't all bad and I don't hear $$'s draining from my wallet when bracketing. Lots of slides to digitize before hitting the road.
RVM2 out.
Yes, slide projector and slide digitizer is something I don't need and can be happy without

Good point, I suppose I can also eBay off my 8mm film camera, 4" portrait camera, and numerous other brick-a-brak. I don't need the developing cost either

No I'm not a hoarder, I acquired all of this when my father passed, so I'm a collector now...

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote