Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #26433

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Thank you all for the welcome. Yes, I'm a Connecticut Yankee, aka Corrupticut. Started with tent camping as a teen, moved on to a gasser and then went years without. Decided back in January (after doing the rental experiment) that RV'g was good for myself (single) and the birds so here we are today with the KSDP and as noted in my lengthy application, I'm quite addicted to RV'g. Still doing the dirty deed M-F so the dream to chase the rainbow full-time is still a couple years off in the future. But in the meantime, I'm doing as much as possible to enjoy what I have as time permits. Like moving it down to FL at the end of the month so it won't have to put up with the brutal winter. I'm sure I'll have to visit it often as well

So tell us about the birds. I met a woman once who travels with a chicken, but that's a bit unusual. (She coulda been a mutant, especially with breakfast freshly laid in house!) So for you: Parrots, 'keets, finches....?

In my past I've had doves, zebra finches (who announced the phone ringing), and a Bourke's parakeet. And chickens, but not in the RV.

And BTW, Corrupticut can't even be in the same league with New Joisey, can it? Or for that matter, my own near-native Illinois with so many of its governors either in prison or recently released.

Cheers!
Sue
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #26434

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sue - did you really just call a budgie a 'keet... lol.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #26435

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
So tell us about the birds. I met a woman once who travels with a chicken, but that's a bit unusual. (She coulda been a mutant, especially with breakfast freshly laid in house!) So for you: Parrots, 'keets, finches....?

In my past I've had doves, zebra finches (who announced the phone ringing), and a Bourke's parakeet. And chickens, but not in the RV.

And BTW, Corrupticut can't even be in the same league with New Joisey, can it? Or for that matter, my own near-native Illinois with so many of its governors either in prison or recently released.

Cheers!
Sue
There's Mac, a Scarlet Macaw and Boko, an African Grey (who's a real talker and noise maker). They're both quite attached to me but Boko is quite friendly to others. Mac not so (as in, don't touch ). The first two trips they were quite out of place as everything was too new for them, but now, it's second nature to go in the RV and stay in it for days. Mac actually likes to just go out there and be in it while I'm putzing around with things.

The thing about Mac versus other birds is he's a very long-lived bird (75+ years easily) and was one of the reasons for my interest in birds. I was tired of having pets come and go due to more limited lives and when I heard how long birds like macaws live, I was sold. It's a big commitment so it's not for everyone, works for me. I'm currently finishing a custom house for Mac in the RV, similar to the huge one he has at home made out of Lexan.

And let's see, a couple of mayors sent to jail, we had a governor sent to prison as well and it may not be at the same scale as NJ, but peer competitiveness seems to abound at that level...
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #26436

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
We have plenty of persimmons, which I just tasted last week for the first time.
They are very good, sweet.
Not sure if I have ever tried one. So I looked it up - sweet and tomatoe came up... any other flavor you would use to describe a persimmon for the uninitiated.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #26437

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Carl - Elizabeth and Mary are bird parents too... They have been busy lately but I know Elizabeth will be along eventually to say hello.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #26438

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Hey Carl - Elizabeth and Mary are bird parents too... They have been busy lately but I know Elizabeth will be along eventually to say hello.
Oh neat, good to know there are others
Old 11-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #26439

Welcome Carl, never seen a live Macaw before. Can you post a pic of Mac.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #26440

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well - we'll be off and running early tomorrow getting things wrapped up. The transformation mutation is almost complete... so I leave ya with this....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1415679323416.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	78673  
Old 11-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #26441

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
Welcome Carl, never seen a live Macaw before. Can you post a pic of Mac.
Thanks for the welcome and here's the two of them in the RV and a close-up of Mac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MacBokoCamping.png
Views:	74
Size:	800.2 KB
ID:	78674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	78675  

Old 11-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #26442

Quote:
Not sure if I have ever tried one. So I looked it up - sweet and tomatoe came up... any other flavor you would use to describe a persimmon for the uninitiated.

I made Mother's recipe for persimmon pudding before we left, so we have about 2 qts. of it in the fridge. Not having any trees of my own, I bought 2 2-pt. pkgs of pulp when I had the chance last year.

Very rich, this pudding, unlike the bready versions that are more common. It's best in small amounts served with milk poured over it. Cream or ice cream are too rich for it.

Available for your delectation at the Rockport Celebration. 😊
Old 11-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #26443

R U an RV Mutant too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
There's Mac, a Scarlet Macaw and Boko, an African Grey (who's a real talker and noise maker). They're both quite attached to me but Boko is quite friendly to others. Mac not so (as in, don't touch ). The first two trips they were quite out of place as everything was too new for them, but now, it's second nature to go in the RV and stay in it for days. Mac actually likes to just go out there and be in it while I'm putzing around with things.

The thing about Mac versus other birds is he's a very long-lived bird (75+ years easily) and was one of the reasons for my interest in birds. I was tired of having pets come and go due to more limited lives and when I heard how long birds like macaws live, I was sold. It's a big commitment so it's not for everyone, works for me. I'm currently finishing a custom house for Mac in the RV, similar to the huge one he has at home made out of Lexan.

And let's see, a couple of mayors sent to jail, we had a governor sent to prison as well and it may not be at the same scale as NJ, but peer competitiveness seems to abound at that level...

My friends in FL have an African grey who talks and imitates all sorts of sounds, from coughs to dog barks to door latches to other birds. She, like your Mac, is a do-not-touch-if-you-value-your-fingers individual.

Pics are fun. Let us see the new Mac house, too, when it's ready for occupancy, willya? They are gorgeous birds!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #26444

Solo Rvers Club
Welcome to RVMdom Carl...aka Bokobird.....and forever to be known as RVM 99!!

Hope you know what you signed on to....and be ready because RVM 98 aka DCHeck will be passin' the broom on down to you. Not sure that he even had a chance to use it....well after 3 pages of posts in 3 hours (or less)....along with all that hot air there was probably other stuff to clean-up.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #26445

Quote:
Well - we'll be off and running early tomorrow getting things wrapped up. The transformation mutation is almost complete... so I leave ya with this....

Way-hay!!! As for butterflies emerging from their chrysalises, the struggle is necessary before the flight is possible. You're almost free!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #26446

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Promises! Promises! Haven't we heard this for the last month?? And Runnin'?? I thought you were takin' Bonita??
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote