Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #26573

Maps: Great entertainment! Ever heard of Telephone, TX? Point Blank? Cut hand? Tom Bean? Royalty? Or maybe Dime Box. All in TX. Some of them up in Steve & Annie's old stompin' grounds.

Back up the road aways, in Arkansas maybe, there was Braggadocio. Wonderful! Imagine yourself a small child learning to write your address. Or even to say it. I'd want to move!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #26574

R U an RV Mutant too?

PS: We've been to Why. (Arizona?)
Old 11-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #26575

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
It's travel day... not sure how far we will go. Probably hop and skip. Leave hop, skip and jump for tomorrow...

We only have 410 miles to go - but we still have unpacking and organizing to do. And... we are beat from the past month. As in ready to ride the rainbow.

I hope all you northern mutants stay warm. Ken - have you flown to Cal yet... The news says your area has 3 feet of snow...
May the force be with you Grand Potentate (RVM 2)....now your ready, set so GO!! The Rainbow awaits!!

Headin' out tomorrow, thanks for askin'. South side of the Twin Cities got 2" maybe 3"....I'm 20 miles north of the TCs and had 12+"....5 hrs of fun yesterday with the snow blower and shovel!! It is Minnesnowta and we got 12+" in May so I guess this is just a way of Mother Nature keepin' the aquafers full... And of course the cold air comes in behind the storm front...single digits for the next week! Glad I'll be in SoCal.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #26576

Not even on the map: We just drove through Bobo. Hunh?
Old 11-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #26577

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Steve and Annie. A while back I met a guy who drives a big Prevost with slides. He was a retired Polish electronic tech and claims he's the first of hopefully many retirees to arrive here in North America. His name is Alexander Graham Jaworski and he says he's the first Telephone Pole in the States.

Keep and eye out for him.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #26578
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Weather report from Texarkana: Sunny (unlike yesterday!), light breeze, and temps in the upper 30s at sunup. Forty-six now, and like a cat, I'm soaking up solar gain in the front. First cuppa ... tea, not joe.

Steve, do you really have Temps in their upper 30s? Don't they object to having office space in the basement?

Looking at the atlas, we have friends at College Station, so we might go off-piste (Rt 59) to stage a brief visit. Conroe maybe.

Any suggestions for an overnight in that general area?

Morning all! It's another mutacious day. Good for mutating. Cheers!
Sue,
There is a KOA (Earlene calls it a parking lot) in Montgomery. (19785 Texas 105, Montgomery, TX 77356 (800) 562-9750) We stopped for a night there to see friends in the Conroe area. They have a lot of amenities and the locations is fairly convenient to dining out facility, etc. College Station is 51 miles from that KOA. It will be about 12 miles off I-45 heading West. Highway 105 is a good highway but there will be stop lights along the way.

If you are coming in on US-59 head West on Hwy 105 and avoid I-45. I-45 is not that bad in that area. Either way will get you there.

Heading to Rockport from there I'd take I-45S to 288S, and in Angleton pick up Hwy 35S. More scenic and less stressful in my opinion. If you take the Google suggested route down Hwy 59 it is 231 miles, 3 hours 40 minutes. If you take 288 and hwt 35 it is 236 miles and 21 minutes longer. We'll be taking Hwy 35 once we get on the road. I have to get from here to 35 which I have done many a time down 2004 from Texas City.

Come close by and we can convoy!!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #26579
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
steve and annie. A while back i met a guy who drives a big prevost with slides. He was a retired polish electronic tech and claims he's the first of hopefully many retirees to arrive here in north america. His name is alexander graham jaworski and he says he's the first telephone pole in the states.

Keep and eye out for him.
rolfm*o!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #26580
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sue, ask ZLarry about Houston traffic. I've been doing it so long it's not a bother to me. You do want to hit the Houston rush hour traffic after 9:00 a.m. Most of the city workers have to be at work by 9:00 a.m. and it just leaves the other idiots on the highway.

Rush hours: 7-9 a.m. 12-1 p.m. (Lunch), and 3 to 6 p.m., give or take a half hour in all situations. Here's the thing about Houston traffic. It is only a 15 minute difference during peak hours from point A to point B, UNLESS there is an accident that blocks the roadway, then it can be a snail pace and longer time from A to B.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #26581

Sign at an RV park entry: No, we don't have WiFi ... Talk to each other.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #26582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Sue, ask ZLarry about Houston traffic. I've been doing it so long it's not a bother to me. You do want to hit the Houston rush hour traffic after 9:00 a.m. Most of the city workers have to be at work by 9:00 a.m. and it just leaves the other idiots on the highway.

Rush hours: 7-9 a.m. 12-1 p.m. (Lunch), and 3 to 6 p.m., give or take a half hour in all situations. Here's the thing about Houston traffic. It is only a 15 minute difference during peak hours from point A to point B, UNLESS there is an accident that blocks the roadway, then it can be a snail pace and longer time from A to B.

Thanks, Wayne! All good advice, looks like. I can't find any decent roads to bypass Houston ... all roads lead to Rome!

We've driven Atlanta at rush hour (and Chicago as well as Boston), so We figure we'd survive Houston too, if we had to. 😊 However, the plan is to sleep in and miss the a.m. rush.

I've discovered that, heading west from Rt. 59 at Cleveland, we have to go through Security before we get to Cut and Shoot. Got that in the right order!

Cheers!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #26583

R U an RV Mutant too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Sue,
There is a KOA (Earlene calls it a parking lot) in Montgomery. (19785 Texas 105, Montgomery, TX 77356 (800) 562-9750) We stopped for a night there to see friends in the Conroe area. They have a lot of amenities and the locations is fairly convenient to dining out facility, etc. College Station is 51 miles from that KOA. It will be about 12 miles off I-45 heading West. Highway 105 is a good highway but there will be stop lights along the way.

If you are coming in on US-59 head West on Hwy 105 and avoid I-45. I-45 is not that bad in that area. Either way will get you there.

Heading to Rockport from there I'd take I-45S to 288S, and in Angleton pick up Hwy 35S. More scenic and less stressful in my opinion. If you take the Google suggested route down Hwy 59 it is 231 miles, 3 hours 40 minutes. If you take 288 and hwt 35 it is 236 miles and 21 minutes longer. We'll be taking Hwy 35 once we get on the road. I have to get from here to 35 which I have done many a time down 2004 from Texas City.

Come close by and we can convoy!!

Actually we have a reservation at that same KOA for tonight. Our friend is to meet us there and we'll find a place to eat. And talk. And ketchup. It's this guy's fault that Martin and I met, so he has a lot to answer for!

I know you and Earlene have impeccable taste in feeding troughs, perhaps?
Old 11-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #26584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Actually we have a reservation at that same KOA for tonight. Our friend is to meet us there and we'll find a place to eat. And talk. And ketchup. It's this guy's fault that Martin and I met, so he has a lot to answer for!

I know you and Earlene have impeccable taste in feeding troughs, perhaps?

Sue.
Larry lived in Baltimore, has worked at the Pentagon in DC, and said that Miami was the worse, UNTIL he drove into Houston, and it was a Sunday afternoon.... But coming out from Texas City area was not bad.... Just tell Martin that those drivers will do the unexpected..... And the signage isnt always clear... Stay out if the right two lanes..... Personally i think Nashville TN is worse...

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #26585

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
well, now that the sun is out, it's up to 22...suppose I should go see if the Honey is alright and still toasty.... need to grab a few sticks to add to the fireplace too...

Marty, i never saw... Is Honey all good?

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #26586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post
Hay y'all just checking in been real busy but. Said Hay I need to check in so I did and here I am. Lol. Hope all is great with everyone. Thank the vets for their service. Spent all day yesterday cleaning a pow of Iraq (Shara's brother) house while she had him out at hooters . It felt good to help but boy am I hurting today.

We know... That jeep is keeping ya busy too.... You are a good guy.... Hug Shara for me