Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #2703

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1
Yes he looks very happy
I've only been active here a year next month (after lurking for 6 or more months) and it seems like forever ago that we got to laughing at each other. Fortunately Annie doesn't mind when others laugh at me - she does own the rights and exercises them frequently!

Things are looking up!
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #2704

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well my name isn't Dave, but I don't have stuff that I don't need. And we are not full time. Nor do we plan to be full time, just a personal preference, but we are retired now and plan to be about halftimers. We eat bacon for breakfast when we can.

I think one thing we have found that bacon doesn't improve is Fried Rice, the frozen varieties are a favorite of ours, but lately it has become a quest to find, without the added bacon. What do you think is NOT improved by the addition of bacon??
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #2705
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any green vegetables, like collard greens, mustard greens, spinach, beet greens, etc. I just like the natural flavor of those items - with lots of butter.

Boy am I going to take it for this post.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Any green vegetables, like collard greens, mustard greens, spinach, beet greens, etc. I just like the natural flavor of those items - with lots of butter.

Hi Wayne,

You wont get any guff from me on the butter issue, I think that some of it has to do with your heredity, my grandmother lived till she was 99 and used to cook everything in bacon grease, one time I can remember when I was only about 7 my parents took us to grandma and grandpa's house, she fried up 3 pounds of bacon and then made fried potato's and lastly made eggs all floated in the last of the bacon drippings everything tasted like heaven on earth and we lived to tell about it. I view butter in the same light, use it but dont abuse it, and we havent even brought up the benefits of buttered popcorn with ice cold beer.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #2707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

I grew up eating all sorts of greens, including all of your list plus dandelion.
The best was beet greens. Always plant too many so you must thin them! And butter, but also vinegar.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #2708

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
^^^ Also Dave - remember this guy....

I hear he's gone full time as well! Lol.
RVM2
Few people know my brother Dave.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #2709

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I grew up eating all sorts of greens, including all of your list plus dandelion.
The best was beet greens. Always plant too many so you must thin them! And butter, but also vinegar.

X2 ...... It's all good if you like it !!!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #2710

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

I'm a "greens" man myself. I have started using a smoked turkey wing instead of bacon. It is a great substitute for those other salty, smokey additions. Got to have a dash or two of that spicy green pepper juice too.

When I was in the AF my friend from WV always bragged about Ramps - haven't ever seen em or tried em, but apparently folks love em - whatever they are.
RVM2
Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #2711

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jeff - isn't there a term for 3 pounds of bacon at one sitting. Perhaps an embarrassment of richness? Or is it heart failure at next junction? Lol.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #2712

Quote:

I'm a "greens" man myself. I have started using a smoked turkey wing instead of bacon. It is a great substitute for those other salty, smokey additions. Got to have a dash or two of that spicy green pepper juice too.

When I was in the AF my friend from WV always bragged about Ramps - haven't ever seen em or tried em, but apparently folks love em - whatever they are.
RVM2
Ahh yes. Ramps. WV wild leeks. The best time of the year to get ramps is in the early spring, so the next time you pass by a small mom and pops store in WV that has a sign for ramps, do yourself a favor and get a mess of ramps.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #2713

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ramps, those are some strong things. I've had them, cook them well and use sparingly.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #2714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Ramps, those are some strong things. I've had them, cook them well and use sparingly.
Yep, it dont take much. Mix em in with your greens. Great with collards. Awesome with calves liver.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #2715
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Reminds me of the time stationed in VA and one day in the back yard I see my neighbor picking beets. I walked over and he was popping the greens of and putting the beets in a sack. I asked what he was going to do with the greens and he said he was going to throw then away. I asked if I could have them and he put them into two paper sacks and handed them to me asking what I was going to do with them. I said I was going to eat them. He grunted something.

Went in the house, showed Earlene, she pulled out a big ol' pot and cooked them right then and there. I put some in a small bowl with some butter and took them outside and said, "Here, try this." I never did get another beet green from him. Darn!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #2716

Quote:
Jeff - isn't there a term for 3 pounds of bacon at one sitting. Perhaps an embarrassment of richness? Or is it heart failure at next junction? Lol.

Hahahahaha,

Well Steve let me put the breakfast into some kind of context, I had two brothers and a sister plus my parents and grand parents there, and grandma was just trying to make enough for everyone. Now to put it into even more context, my father was one of 6 children, one brother and 4 sisters and of course his parents so grandma always seemed to be cooking for a large group. I hope this helps.

Cheers !!!