Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #2857

End of August Journey

Good Evening my fellow Mutants;

Been on the road since 8-21, enjoying the sights of whatever came across our path. DD decided that she wanted to head westward from home (Upstate NY) so that's the way we went. Got as far as Harmony, OH the first day, then spent 5 nights at an Illinois State CG north of Le Roy. Used that as a base camp to explore Central Illinois (Got our Kicks on Route 66.... amongst other areas from Champaign to Peoria and points North). Relocated to Federal CG south of St. Croix, IN and explored Southern Indiana / Northern Kentucky. Currently overnighting in Akron, OH and will return Home tomorrow - I'm supposed to be back at work on Tues. and DD starts school / becomes an official High School Junior on Wed.

~1500 miles on the Coach so far + another 400 to get home tomorrow -- Add ~800 miles on the Toad for the sightseeing

Bacon was consumed in Mass Quantities during our Journey -- DD does love her Bacon
Rope Lighting was observed but not used by yours truly -- One neighboring camper in Illinois had enough LED Rope Lights that I think could have been seen from space -- Needed sunglasses at night to view them without being blinded...........

Mother Nature sure put on a heat wave to end August -- 90's every day -- I normally don't like using the AC but it sure felt good to walk into a cool Coach after a hot day (Molly the Mutt didn't complain about it either - She rules the roost while we are out exploring....)

No kayaking was done on this trip -- That is dedicated to the 2 weeks we spend in the Adirondacks at Long Lake where my brother lives - Calm Water Kayaking at its best -- Would have been too hot on top of the water anyways

Til Later

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #2858
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
I tend to read books electronically now on my I-pad more than anything, I could not part with the "oldies". That would be a step too far. Don't care about shoes, fancy clothes, or many other "things", just my photography and spinning/knitting and BOOKS!
When I was readying to go full-time, I packed those "can't part with them" items in extra sturdy boxes lined with trash bags, sealed, labeled and delivered them to my daughter's house for safe keeping. After 2.5 years the seals are intact, but I know where they are should I miss them.

I have been having too much fun to need reminders of my past. Come the day my daughter takes away my keys I may need some memory cues.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:10 AM   #2859
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A mutant Florida kayak curiosity? Count me in! Have roof rack will travel.

We will be near Lithia, FL about 35 miles SE of Tampa by Nov 1st. We park on land owned by monkey friends who have the proper licenses to keep Sena legal. Florida is fussy about how monkeys are kept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
As to kayak paddling, I have been tempted to do such a thing... *... Not that I'm real concerned about that, but really how hard is it?
Barb, you seem to be doing lots of this activity, can you advise?
Judy,*

I'm a real novice yakker, but so far, I find it much harder to get in and out than to paddle. I considered a sit-on kayak, but have a healthy, ok a morbid fear of snakes. I need a barrier between me and anything other than Lily that might try to join me.*

I only go out in very calm water and then paddle a few strokes and glide. If I can do it, everyone can.

How about the rest of y'all? Wanna join us in Florida this winter?
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #2860
RVM1

Quote:
One of the greatest obstacles to fulltiming is my library. I have spent a lot of time tracking down copies of all kinds of books I read and re-read as a child (not all children's books although a lot of those) plus all the other ones I just couldn't bear to part with. They are family, lol. I guess I could probably get it down to one or two storage bays from the wall of books in my living room, and/ or have a " library" in my vehicle of choice. Although I tend to read books electronically now on my I-pad more than anything, I could not part with the "oldies". That would be a step too far. Don't care about shoes, fancy clothes, or many other "things", just my photography and spinning/knitting and BOOKS!
I had a library of hundreds. Knowing I would never even pick them up again, I found homes for them. They were "rescued" by folks that will read them.

Having no time for such things until I become very sedentary, and guessing I may prefer to just carve wood then, it is all gone, not missed, but remembered.

I have my photography too. Will be passing 50,000 images soon. It is something that keeps me out of trouble, something I can climb inside of and forget the world, and can still share it with all.

So, you may have decisions to make....or not. ;-)

However....I do have a 5x5 climate controlled storage locker for some heirlooms and national treasures.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #2861

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Barb, I think I should research this as an option to my other ways to burn calories. It does sound like a fun activity. Living in Colorado with all the white water kayaking and rafting, I didn't realize one could do such things on calm water.
Did you all see the post from Dogpatch on another thread? Looks like he found a new 2nd home. So he is no longer an RVless RVM!
Thanks to all those still laboring for this great Labor Day.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #2862
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
Thanks Barb, I think I should research this as an option to my other ways to burn calories. It does sound like a fun activity. Living in Colorado with all the white water kayaking and rafting, I didn't realize one could do such things on calm water.
Did you all see the post from Dogpatch on another thread? Looks like he found a new 2nd home. So he is no longer an RVless RVM!
Thanks to all those still laboring for this great Labor Day.
Alas, Dogpatch is still an RVless RVM. But I am confident he and his DW will find what suits them both.
Opinion Needed '03 Discovery

Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #2863
RVM1

Looks like kayaking is becoming quite the fad for RVMs.
Upper body strength.
Cardio workout.
And fun in calm or white water.

Hmmmm. May need to figger how to Wranglerize one.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #2864

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

Alas, Dogpatch is still an RVless RVM. But I am confident he and his DW will find what suits them both.
Opinion Needed '03 Discovery
Dogpath does have a new to him coach. Just picked it up and drove it home a few days ago! No mas will Mort be mortified from homelessness. It's out there posted in a few places.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #2865
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Dogpath does have a new to him coach. Just picked it up and drove it home a few days ago! No mas will Mort be mortified from homelessness. It's out there posted in a few places.
I stand happily corrected.
Mort must have thown his weight behind the decision.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #2866
RV Mutant #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Upper body strength.
Cardio workout.

Check out LL Bean. They have both inflatable and take-apart kayaks, or Google folding kayaks and boats!

kayak at L.L.Bean
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #2867

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven
Upper body strength.
Cardio workout.

Think I posted this before - found it here somewhere and borrowed the pic for future reference. So... It can be done!
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-521938133.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	45189
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #2868
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Think I posted this before - found it here somewhere and borrowed the pic for future reference. So... It can be done!
Cool.
I will also need to find one that is "lumbar friendly". Do any come with recumbent seats?

Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #2869

Quote:
One of the greatest obstacles to fulltiming is my library. I have spent a lot of time tracking down copies of all kinds of books I read and re-read as a child (not all children's books although a lot of those) plus all the other ones I just couldn't bear to part with. They are family, lol. I guess I could probably get it down to one or two storage bays from the wall of books in my living room, and/ or have a " library" in my vehicle of choice. Although I tend to read books electronically now on my I-pad more than anything, I could not part with the "oldies". That would be a step too far. Don't care about shoes, fancy clothes, or many other "things", just my photography and spinning/knitting and BOOKS!
There is nothing as satisfying as the smell of a good book, the aroma wafting about as you peruse the text. We have converted to Kindles, but the smell of electrons doesn't quite do it.

However, after taking our book collection out of our rig, our gas mileage may go up...

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #2870

Winnebago Owners Club
First, as a wanna be potential RV Mutant, I can't see myself reading all 115 pages of this thread on my iPhone, so I have to ask - what's the latest number available?

Some of my humble qualifications:
I've read about the list of "what I don't have I don't miss". What I have I'd miss and what I don't have - I don't. Check
I've read about the guitars and banjos. I collect them, still play, and always have one with me. BTW, the progression is I, IV, V! But I don't play the radio! Check
Learned about RV'n both the hard way and the iRV2 way. I prefer the iRV2 way! Check
I've been happy in my Class B, but I've been happier in my Class A! Check
My toad is a Wrangler. Is there any other? And I've pulled out more than once with the Jeep's emergency brake still on! Check
Etc. Check

So, how 'bout it? Do I qualify?