Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #2899

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Moonrover - regarding refrigerator magnets... At home Annie rotates them so we don't experience sensory overload or high magnet field issues. We are collecting them for the Motorhome - but there is really no place to put them. She came up with this idea - and again - rotating and keeping the others in a small plastic box.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3088816825.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	634.4 KB
ID:	45338
Both sides are adorned - and it's smaller than a bread box, but related. Adds a touch of color and a reminder of journeys past. Just a thought - but if you have other places they could migrate to, might not want to risk it...
RVM2

On Edit - btw - we were not actually camping that close to another RV - as it appears in the window. In the winter - we often go to storage and run the generator and heaters and have breakfast. Sad I know - but we got it bad. It is nice though that she likes it so much too - we get to keep an eye on things - even though under 45 foot covered spot - OTA TV works great w/o raising antenna or we listen to music - organize - have breakfast etc. The couple that RVs together (even in a storage space) stays together!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #2900

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

OK, now that ain't right.... After looking at this picture I must now get out of bed AGAIN and go have my second breakfast...... Or, maybe just wait for lunch .....

I am a "FOP" Friend of Pork...
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #2901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have a folding boat.
Friends I paddle with use a folding canvas canoe. Works great, & the Sheltie fits right into the bow under a sun shade. The boat goes into its own bag.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #2902

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

We have a folding table.
Does it float well?
Does it have sides to keep you and the gators apart?
Kayaking on the cheap, eh?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #2903
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve,
Annie's just afraid to let you out alone. She knows what trouble you can end up in!

Oh! BTW, get a nice shinny piece of metal and make a back splash somewhere behind the kitchen counter. Lot's of magnets then.

Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't know you were intentionally keeping the magnets down to "toaster" size. ( again)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #2904

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz

Does it float well?
Does it have sides to keep you and the gators apart?
Kayaking on the cheap, eh?
Going to look into inner tubes or possibly blow up pontoons for folding table boat - maybe a small outboard or battery and trolling motor - or maybe some kind of sail. As long as I get the outriggers attached I'll be good to go.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #2905

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
We have some folding chairs. And a folding table. But no folding boat or Yak. I think I will have to rent a Yak, to try it out. Does one plan on getting soaked when paddling? Or can you expect to stay dry? I'm admit to ignorance. But it sure sounds like I would like to try this activity.
Oh, yes! A chair to place on the floating table! So much more comfy than the table by itself.

Yay, JudyH! Give it a go.

My first winter in the FL group, members loaned me a 'yak each week, since there was always someone who couldn't go. The next summer I bought my own. By then I had been able to try out different types and lengths, so I knew what I wanted.

Since I always splash myself while paddling, I always plan to get wet. Others never get wet above the ankles. There is always the chance of a dunking while getting in & out of the craft, too, which is great when it's hot & sunny.

Some folks wear bathing suits w/ a shirt over to protect from the sun. My "uniform" always includes a lightweight cotton shirt with 3/4 length sleeves and capris that will dry quickly. Depending where you are, water shoes can be indispensable. In the Everglades the oyster beds mean many sharp edges if you should happen to tip out, so I never go w/o mine.

TMI? Sorry, but I hope it's been helpful. I can hardly wait for a flotilla of mutant 'yakkers to set off!

C'est moi in a borrowed boat:

Name:	image-2863014032.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	509.1 KB
ID:	45344

Not me, getting out:

Name:	image-2338532698.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	708.3 KB
ID:	45345

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-470574750.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	769.0 KB
ID:	45346  
Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #2906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post

Dry is the goal, however an errant splash from a fellow paddler makes staying completely dry nearly impossible. If you are concerned about flipping over, then rest easy. Calm water kayakers seldom do the dunk and roll thing. That's for the frothy white water enthusiast/adventurer.

Like any other sport there are accoutrements. Gloves, hats, shoes, sunglass straps, floatation vests, padded seats, watertight storage bags, and of course double ended paddles. Its a long list for the well prepared, but for me ... I just go .... Some people show up so styled out in sport specific "stuff" that they need a pack animal to carry it all.

Job #1 is to get out on the water and enjoy quietly gliding along while taking in the scenery. Maybe coast while digging out the little camera for a unique photo op. I think some of my best photos were taken on quiet streams while slipping under shoreline tree branches. More than once we have been visited by a frog leaping into the kayak. They bask on the muddy bank and wake up to see danger, then leap ... plop ... a non-paying passenger is on board. Froggie not too smart, needs help getting back to the water.
Ah! What he said! Well put, Moonrover!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #2907

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post

We are leaving Colorado heading Eastward tomorrow. I will wave if we see you pass by, oh, well, I wave at all RV's we pass. But most don't wave back. Our journey plans are to get to campground in Illinois by next Tuesday. Enjoy!
Cracker Barrel is one our favorite bacon stops.
CG in IL, home state to 3 of your fellow mutants? Where will you be?

We would welcome you here, but will be (Lord willin' & the crick don't rise!) in IA at the world famous iRV2 rally. Sorry to miss you!

As for Cracker Barrel, it's a great place to overnight, as well as to get bacon. We look at them via Google Earth to make sure the parking lot is adequate and then call ahead for permission. Easy stop, good food, & we've never been refused.

Have a super trip and wave at all of us as you go sailing merrily past. I wave at other RVs too. If I'm not asleep, I'll return your greeting.

Cheers!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #2908

There's Yaks and then there's Yaks

Here is Suspinz (my DW) mounting a Yak in Tibet a couple of years ago, seemingly mutating into a Tibetan peasant. (Hoping vid clip will load)
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #2909

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sue and all mutant yakkers - something not previously pondered until this weekend - the soon to be and apparently ever popular flotilla of mutants.

One of our new mutants, MartySQ of Honey fames DH has a powered parachute. Perhaps there may one day be RVM Air Squadron 1 - The Flying Mutants.

The curiosity of mutants will be spinning, grinning, flying, paddling, entertaining with traveling pets and mascots, mixing cocktails, cooking jalapeņo poppers and bacon - and so much more. We may need to take out an event license and charge a cover just to watch us - no longer will Shakespeare in the Park be a thing to do --- no sirree mutant - Mutants in the Camp Ground is the wave of the future. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3236345378.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	45347
Old 09-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #2910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have a folding boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
We have a folding table.

We have some folding chairs.

Sounds ripe for a curiosity..

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #2911

Welcome aboard Falcon 190, you are among friends.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #2912

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile

Thanks so much for the info on Yaks! Yes. I am definitely interested. I was hoping it was a calm sport on calm water. And as long as it is warm I don't mind getting wet, just wasn't sure whether to definitely plan on getting dunked. But happy to learn it isn't expected to be water soaked in the kayak. Sue, we are headed to Rock Cut Park first, then Dam West Campground @ Carlyle Lake; because of their being lots of family in each area. We had to make reservations 6 months ago for the COE park, as the rest of them are closing at the end of Sept. This will be our longest journey yet, time wise, as we always had the work constraints of a 2 week vacation in the past.
Now I have gotten a jury summons.
I postponed mine.