Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #2955

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would hope the bare bum was buffed well with a towel first... no water to stick.... or, maybe lots of water so no stick... dunno must ponder this more, I am afeared I'll have horrible wrinkly old bare bum dreams all night now, why oh why did I log in so late.....
note to self, check this thread in the AM so I can ponder when awake...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #2956

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ
I would hope the bare bum was buffed well with a towel first... no water to stick.... or, maybe lots of water so no stick... dunno must ponder this more, I am afeared I'll have horrible wrinkly old bare bum dreams all night now, why oh why did I log in so late.....
note to self, check this thread in the AM so I can ponder when awake...
The dreaded mutant night ponders.... Shudder to think... LOL.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #2957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post

Wuz ya sober at the time of all that free-flowin' prose & poesy???
I don't always drink bourbon, but when I do it is alway post-prose. Stay Mutant my friends. :-)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #2958

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

By indicating your time off grid was good for you - I was paying tribute to the above and etc... Brilliant!
I knew that Steve.
My prose was a bow, a tribute to you and this thread and all of the fine RVMs.

Beware! I have much flat-land before me today. :EEK:
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #2959

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

I knew that Steve.
My prose was a bow, a tribute to you and this thread and all of the fine RVMs.

Mutual mutant admiration society.
Flatland fever is the other side of switchback tremors coin. Stay safe!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #2960

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Wish you had asked for advice on traversing the flatlands. I know all the neat byways that avoid the boredom of Interstates. Many opportunities to pull off and listen to the quiet wind rustling nearly mature corn fields. The left coast and the right coast city folk seldom experience the mellow sound of the heartlands.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #2961

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover

Wish you had asked for advice on traversing the flatlands. I know all the neat byways that avoid the boredom of Interstates. Many opportunities to pull off and listen to the quiet wind rustling nearly mature corn fields. The left coast and the right coast city folk seldom experience the mellow sound of the heartlands.
And here I was thinking about spending hard earned money on a GPS. How much does this personalized mutant service cost? Always trying to find the best mutation plan. RVM Navigation by Moonrover sounds like a great idea! Turn by turn and never recalculating. Can't beat it with a under bed strut replacement stick.

On a serious note - I love state paper maps and my truckers jumbo map book, my East / West Mountain Guides, and Next Exit books. I do use Internet tools as well but always end up with a nice map or two in front of me. Pretty sure that won't change with a GPS which is one reason why I keep putting off buying one. Neither Annie nor I can decide on one - and the reviews are all over the place. And then there's the tactile, sensory appreciation of a book - and the weight and space issue again. Pondering - pondering.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #2962

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have never owned or used a GPS myself, but have ridden with several friends who use them religiously. The dang things are annoying distractions in my opinion. Not once did we arrive at our destination without the driver disagreeing with the route chosen.

I won't have one in my coach. Instead, I navigate via my iPad's Google maps and a spiral bound Rand McNally atlas. The satellite view is particularly useful for finding quiet places to park overnight during our semi-annual cross country treks between Seattle and Florida.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #2963

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
GPS...Won't leave home without it, won't trust it 100% either.

I trust through verification. I review the route via Google Maps and hard copies as needed. I ALWAYS look at the destination with a satellite view to verify the entry point. As an example, last weekend I went to Camelot RV CG north of Poplar Bluff, MO. The GPS said it would be a left turn off of MO 60/67 but the sat photos told me it was on the right. BOTH of our GPS units wanted us to make a left turn. I knew better. BTW...so did the CG and I suggested they put that information on their web page. Also...there is a work around when you see this. Using Google Maps/Earth to determine the LAT/LONG you can almost always make the GPS route you correctly. For the most part, many misdirections when using an address are due to data entry errors or data source errors that are then used in the data base.

However, I have yet to run into any glitches in open road navigation except in one case where a brand new interchange re-design had been completed. The road signs were clear and once we got though that section the GPS was happy again. GPS does not mean stop reading road signs!

Also, understanding that GPS units are dummy down version of aircraft GPS comes in handy. Knowing that auto GPS units will always try to put you on a road is important, especially when dealing with frontage road configurations. Aircraft GPS don't have that additional programming to deal with in the same manner. In fact, one handheld aviation GPS also has an auto feature. In the aviation mode it uses WAAS augmented GPS for super accuracy and in the auto mode disables the WAAS feature. GO FIGURE! LOL

Like any tool, it must be used properly and when done so can help keep eyes on the road instead of on a map in your lap. Nothing is more dangerous than distracted driving and eyes off the road.

BTW...I really like my Garmin RV 760. It ain't perfect but it does a lot of things I like.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #2964

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^ Don - you just convinced me not to get one. Pilots that fly VFR can use a Circular Confuser - In college I had to map a flight using one. Nothing more inspirational than that to drive one to IFR certification! Short of an Air Traffic Controller - I am now seriously leaning maps and net. Sounds like you have figured out to make it work for you, but also looks like you end up doing everything I do anyway plus the GPS. Why do I want to spend $400 to lengthen my navigation time when I plan to drive 2 or 3 hundred mile legs? Heck, I could pre drive it in the toad as part of seeing the local area. Maybe spend the night away from rig in a nice B&B! LOL.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #2965

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
^^^ Don - you just convinced me not to get one. ...
It's all good...so long as my GPS doesn't get relegated to rope light status.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #2966

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss

It's all good...so long as my GPS doesn't get relegated to rope light status.
It already is. Some love them. Some hate them. Some love to hate them. Some just don't see the utility or beauty.

I want to want a GPS - cause gadgets are fun. But at the moment - don't have one, don't miss it. I put 120k miles on the B Van without one starting in 1991. Never got lost. Did make a wrong turn once in Kansas on a black road. Knew it right away. Went about 50 miles cause it was a great drive. Ended up in a small town at a local diner. Had the best cheeseburger I have ever eaten. This did turn out to be one of those - no way to get where your going but back track roads. But it was worth it. That is letting the journey be the destination!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #2967

Quote:
And here I was thinking about spending hard earned money on a GPS. How much does this personalized mutant service cost? Always trying to find the best mutation plan. RVM Navigation by Moonrover sounds like a great idea! Turn by turn and never recalculating. Can't beat it with a under bed strut replacement stick.

On a serious note - I love state paper maps and my truckers jumbo map book, my East / West Mountain Guides, and Next Exit books. I do use Internet tools as well but always end up with a nice map or two in front of me. Pretty sure that won't change with a GPS which is one reason why I keep putting off buying one. Neither Annie nor I can decide on one - and the reviews are all over the place. And then there's the tactile, sensory appreciation of a book - and the weight and space issue again. Pondering - pondering.
Steve,

The GPS is an amazing tool, I have named mine Beverly Garmin, But !!! we also use maps because sometimes Beverly gets flight of thought and wishes to place us and recalculate us to a place we really dont wish to be.

So with that in mind, we also use the motor carriers atlas, and maps from all over as well, yeah its a bit of a pain to find a place to store this printed material, but its much better than trusting your GPS implicitly. But if you decide to pull the trigger and buy one, check Amazon.com and check out the nuvi 3700 or later, I bought a reconditioned one with lifetime updates for half the price of new, and it works just fine, I got the 4.5" screen because I use her both in the coach and toad, but, the 7" screen would be so much better. One thing to remember with a garmin, it has built in search for restaurants, banks, stores, governmental buildings ie: post offices, attractions and lots of other little tidbits of information, it is very very handy.

Anyway for whats its worth that is what I have found works for me, but remember to always have a map and a compass as well.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #2968

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I may start with one of these...

Name:   image-3791343999.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  30.6 KB
And slowly move up, following the progression of the ancient mariner through todays modern GPS.

Recalculating. Recalculating. Recalculating.