Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #3403

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Stevie boy are you and Annie gettin the itch to point Bonita Bounder down the road? Barb and I have been sittin a month now and we are definitely plotting the next curiosity.... We are thinking maybe Sedona or Grand Canyon and other points around AZ. Yep I hear the call of the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #3404

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Part of the 7 acres we are staying on includes ~ 300 ft of beach front. I was just coming back to the rig when I noticed these guys and gals who stopped to rest at the far end. It seems even the wild geese are telling me it's time to head south.
Careful...Saw on Yahoo the other day an epidemic of some disease among monkeys in Florida if you are heading there....gotta keep them mutant monkey mascots healthy! I'm on phone or I'd do a quick search and post a link for you...

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #3405

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Hope your slide troubles are soon a distant memory, and remember -

Somewhere over the rainbow, you know the words, la la la - carry on! (rainbows seem to be a recurring theme (meme?) among us mutants!
Yes, well, what fun would it be w/o some excitement along the way anyhow? It is, after all, the *rainbow* we're on!

Thanks for the good wishes, Tina. We're still hopeful.

Wonderful photos, btw...spectacular, even. I never get tired of them: rainbows or good photos, either one. Or two.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #3406

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

My Mom always taught me to keep on the straight and narrow.
Somehow the crooked and narrow are much better.

BTW, it was awesome....and PAVED!!! Built in 1909 by the tenants of the Territorial Prison at the foot of the hill. Paved in 1932.
My kinda place, too. No self-medication for me. I'd be a-hangin' out the winder so's not ta miss a thang! Amazing road!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #3407

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post

Careful...Saw on Yahoo the other day an epidemic of some disease among monkeys in Florida if you are heading there....gotta keep them mutant monkey mascots healthy! I'm on phone or I'd do a quick search and post a link for you...
Went to look it up...herpes...not epidemic....apparently some running around loose with it.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #3408

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ

Went to look it up...herpes...not epidemic....apparently some running around loose with it.
Not among us mutants
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #3409
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Hey Barb, duh yuh know how to tell the American Geese from Canadian Geese?

The Murican ones have bigger mouths. bwahahahahahaha

See you next year down by the 97 crossing because we loved seeing the park you were yakking about.
I resemble that remark. 97 crossing? Is that the US/Candian border? And the reason I yak so much about this place is because it's no park-- it's a friend's 7 acres of heaven on earth. That is in the summer when the rain disappears.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #3410

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb
Stevie boy are you and Annie gettin the itch to point Bonita Bounder down the road? Barb and I have been sittin a month now and we are definitely plotting the next curiosity.... We are thinking maybe Sedona or Grand Canyon and other points around AZ. Yep I hear the call of the road.

We are definitely working behind the scenes to get away without a hitch in our gittyup! The weather forecast for Marble Falls and Kerrville looks good.

Will keep ya posted.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #3411
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Oh good old Simian Herpes B is causing rampant misinformation and widespread prejudice against privately owned monkeys, AGAIN!

Ok, here's the facts. The B virus is the Old world monkey equivalent to the human cold sore... Another herpes virus. It is sexually transmitted and causes very little bother to the monkeys that get it. Over the past 100 or so years it has crossed species lines about 60 times and has caused an encephalitis in the affected human. It has only caused illness in humans bitten by research monkeys.

Before anti-viral drugs it had about a 60% fatality rate in the humans who contracted it. It is now completely controllable with drugs if started soon after exposure. Most adult wild old world monkeys carry the virus. This includes monkeys in Asia and Africa as well as the Snow Macaque troupe near Dilley, TX that ran amuck for years. Thousands of people have been bitten by these wild monkeys, yet not one human has ever gotten encephalitis from a monkey not in a research lab. Oh course, the monkeys are blamed, not the labs that keep the monkeys under horrible conditions and do God knows what to them.

Ok, Sena is a capuchin. Capuchins are new world monkeys . New world monkeys do not carry Simian Herpes B or any other disease that is harmful to humans. They can contract some diseases from humans, which are rapidly fatal to the monkey, but thankfully, this rarely happens.

Sena was born in Missouri, but her ancestors probably came from the tropical rain forests of Brazil or Peru. The US made it illegal to import monkeys except for lab research in the mid 70ís. Sena was born April 17th, 1997 so it is likely that she is at least 4 generations away from the jungle

So the bottom line is... NO HUMAN is at risk from Sena. She has NEVER broken skin on a human. We settled the monkey teeth on human skin issue when she was 2 months old.

Ok, I will step off the soap box now. I just want everyone to know that Sena is a very gentle and loving creature. She is my second child, the one who won't go off to college and leave me. She also won't support me in my old age -- that's her big sister's job.

Should we meet someday, please know that Sena will be diapered, leashed and on her very best behavior. She enjoys making new friends and has a special fondness for women with blonde or gray hair.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #3412
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
By the way, there are some new members that I did not get a chance to shout out a welcome to. My only excuse is that I took a nap and woke up at #50. Things move fast around here.

We must get together sometime in a gathering of the curious. Can't call it a rally ... that is too formal. RVM2 is feverishly working on a newsletter so we can all find out where we are. I'm looking forward to finding where I am, for sure. Maybe the newsletter will be the catalyst for a collision of locations where we can actually rub elbows.

Ah ... nap time again ...
Hey Moonrover, if you find me in your travels.....let me know where I am!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #3413

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky
......Oh good old Simian Herpes B is causing rampant misinformation and widespread prejudice against privately owned monkeys, AGAIN!

Sena was born in Missouri, but her ancestors probably came from the tropical rain forests of Brazil or Peru. The US made it illegal to import monkeys except for lab research in the mid 70’s. Sena was born April 17th, 1997......
Good morning mutants one and all!

Barb - thanks for the info on the health risks to our lovely mutant mascot and your mischievous fur child. I will say I think Marty was more concerned for Sena's health and informing that there was a possible risk to her, than suggesting Sena was a risk to anyone. So I would just add that there has been a recent and limited outbreak of measles in Ft. Worth.

I had not previously thought of the RVM Public Service Announcement for sharing such things. As journeyers we often travel into areas where outbreaks of "plagues", measles, fevers, flus, and such are a real possibility. Much like RVM1s update on the gorge fire, we mutants can really make good use of our travel updates and sharing of this kind of info. I've seen a lot of that sort sharing on the forum related to hurricanes in the past. Something to keep in mind. The RVM Journeyers PSA. Great idea.

Regarding our dear Sena - Happy Belated Birthday! 16 years young!! We can celebrate her birthday at the same time we celebrate the anniversary of RV Mutantdom - which I believe is April 14th. Also - Sena being born in Missouri may explain a lot about her curiosity - she is a Show Me girl. Commuter keys - drawers - latches - etc - all just show me activities added to a natural curiosity. She is indeed - RVM Mascot numero uno.

Time to mosey along - but all mutants be advised - you are free to roam about the country engaging in mutant monkey business. The threat level has been returned to nada.

RVM2
-- Steve and Annie --
Old 09-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #3414
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
We're about to mutate to Halcyon Hot Springs for a first outting in our "New to Us" rig.

This will be the test to find out how many things the farmer that owned the coach "jerry-rigged" that I didn't see when I bought it.

Lookin forward to some RnR at the hot pools at our deluxe spot overlooking the lake!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #3415
KAS

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
KAS, your husband seems to be a "can do" sort. I like that....
I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the build up process... A little tip; take up close photos of any wiring and plumbing... My battery wiring photos have certainly made replacing batteries less stressful.
EVERY. LAST. WIRE. that Gary has traced has labels on each end! Permanent labels made of heat resistant material so as to be legible for the next person who needs to figure it out.

This isn't his first re-do. If the RV world has a spot in it for a Libertarian inventor who insists he knows very little about anything, well, Gary is the guy!

As for photos, I really ought to take before pictures of the insides of both the Behemoth and the Mini-B. We've a long way to go on this project.

I may take a picture of the Mini-B and upload it as my avatar. The more I have driven it the past few days the more I LOVE it! I can see why someone would love a tiny RV. I can hardly wait to get this one fixed up inside. However, the Behemoth is the next one to get more attention. Gary wants everything sound and drivable before we do any of the interior work on anything. Which means he has been removing lights and replacing them and re-wiring where he felt the wiring used was not up to his standards, etc.

Gary insists he is nothing special, but I have NEVER met anyone like my husband. You either like him as he is, or you hate him as he is-- but nobody is neutral on him and he doesn't change for anyone. Usually, he says he doesn't know what he is doing and then he goes and fixes the problem. A year later, he won't remember doing the work because a problem only gets mental space until it is solved.

I don't miss what I don't have because what I do have in my life is just so dang INTERESTING.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #3416

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch
We're about to mutate to Halcyon Hot Springs for a first outting in our "New to Us" rig.

This will be the test to find out how many things the farmer that owned the coach "jerry-rigged" that I didn't see when I bought it.

Lookin forward to some RnR at the hot pools at our deluxe spot overlooking the lake!
How does Mort react when he sees bubbling hot bodies of water? Does he think noodle soup - cause I am?