Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #3851
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Sky-Boss, you could not have said it better. I think of this group like a family -- the evolved family members that don't give unwanted advice, try to change you, or expect to be mentioned in the will.
You mean I'm not mentioned in the will?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #3852
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

It's like deja vue all over again. Somehow I think we all let this go by once. I hereby second the nomination.
Third!

Old 09-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #3853

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch

You mean I'm not mentioned in the will?
I think you and I were covered in the - "if anyone contests any portion of this will they will receive one penny" clause.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #3854
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I think you and I were covered in the - "if anyone contests any portion of this will they will receive one penny" clause.
The only will I'm covered in is the "If you don't keep payin for it I WILL come and take it"
Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #3855

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch

The only will I'm covered in is the "If you don't keep payin for it I WILL come and take it"
Me too!!!

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #3856

I see a lot of posts here of these real nice and fancy very expensive campgrounds and as a fulltime RVM I don't stay at them nor do I miss them. I find nice places with cheap prices no pool or pool table or bingo nights but with the money I save I can go see more places. Just food for thought.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #3857
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by breed View Post
I see a lot of posts here of these real nice and fancy very expensive campgrounds and as a fulltime RVM I don't stay at them nor do I miss them. I find nice places with cheap prices no pool or pool table or bingo nights but with the money I save I can go see more places. Just food for thought.
It's wise to live that way if it means you are able to do more.

Personally, I'm not retired or full-timing. When I go on a road trip with my family, for us, it's a holiday and we like all the amenities as it feels like doing this is a reward for working. No doubt this will change for us as well once we are retired and living within our means.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #3858

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by breed
Since I'm still working I have to first plan around work - which keeps me tied down. With 4 weeks vacation + holidays and 2 "floating holidays" I have about 30 days off a year not counting Saturday and Sunday. I would journey every one of those days if I could - but it doesn't work out that way and never has.

Some personal business - Motorhome to shop - inspection - and general stuff always steals a few days. We still entertain at Christmas and Thanksgiving and an occasional shindig with a little live music at the transition apartment get a few more days. We don't like to RV over 3 day weekends much anymore - as the parks and roads are overly crowded and getting in and out of Dallas can be tough enough on a regular weekend.

So when we do our 2 week vacation of 16 days with weekends we look for the amenities and pay more but it's vacation and a short run thing. When we get full time we will still stay in resorts but also seek out the free and the frugal and seek a balance. Once we get out there we won't be looking to see more places - we will just be and do what feels right and see what we see on the slow roll and black roads.

We are really looking forward to the big journey. It's been as OldMe and Gerry Garcia say - a long strange trip. And somehow - I think the strangeness is just beginning!

Like all mutants - we are thankful that we can roll as we do and stay as we stay. We have prepaid for the future and that in itself is a blessing so bright we gotta wear shades.
Steve and Annie
Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #3859

I will put my two cents in (then take it back when I'm done chatting).

Regardless of the need or no need to be frugal, we have found that it is actually fun to take the frugal path. I personally like the challenge. It is an extension of my youthful days where "frugal" was absolutely necessary. Lectures at the dinner table given by depression survivor parents still are lingering in my memory. I have deep respect for their inner strength and survival stamina. After a lifetime of hard work, and successfully raising a family, they were still poor, but very happy. From that time on it was an explosion of success for their children and grandchildren. However looking around, I don't see a single one of us slipping away from the frugal lifestyle. It is in our DNA.

Going full-time RVing, for us will be be a mixture of the adventures of travel, and the fun of doing it frugally. We look forward to kibitzing with fellow RVers around the campfire soon.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #3860

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
I will put my two cents in (then take it back when I'm done chatting). Regardless of the need or no need to be frugal, we have found that it is actually fun to take the frugal path. I personally like the challenge. It is an extension of my youthful days where "frugal" was absolutely necessary. Lectures at the dinner table given by depression survivor parents still are lingering in my memory. I have deep respect for their inner strength and survival stamina. After a lifetime of hard work, and successfully raising a family, they were still poor, but very happy. From that time on it was an explosion of success for their children and grandchildren. However looking around, I don't see a single one of us slipping away from the frugal lifestyle. It is in our DNA. Going full-time RVing, for us will be be a mixture of the adventures of travel, and the fun of doing it frugally. We look forward to kibitzing with fellow RVers around the campfire soon.
Moonrover will you be able to join us at the Grand Curiosity?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #3861

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Moonrover - I think you left your 2 cents on the table LOL. Excellent post!

I look forward to the campfire discussions and sharing of mutant ways and means too. I especially look forward to hearing about those mutant waypoints and hideaways and sharing them through our News and private lists. We mutants can learn much from each other!! I will get back on that as soon as possible.

So point of reference with more one day perhaps. I was probably 16 when I realized we did not own a ship and it was not coming in. At the same time I got the connection between that and why - despite having many windows - my mom always said, we don't have a pot to pea in or a window to throw it out. So I knew not then nor care now for social status.

Additional point of reference - my grandfather on my dads side was a brake mechanic and before migrating from rural Illinois - made money as a fighter - back room, bar or alley - anywhere people could put money down. He had the cauliflower ears to prove it. In the suburbs of LA they raised rabbits, chickens, quail and pheasant. Grandma dispatched em and even though I had named them all - they were quite tasty.

I can squeeze value from a buck with the best of them and it comes naturally. Only I have never had that many dollars. Just enough which is more than enough and I know it. Until I got my first down sleeping bag and tent that weighed less than me - I didn't understand how folks could spend that kind of money. But I sure learned to love them!

This Grande Curiosity can't come soon enough.

BTW - Marty Submitted a logo entry!!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #3862

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
As long as Sena is the pilot the motion gets my support.
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #3863

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Now that we have become a group of such high esteem and vast numbers, I think we should consider endorsing mutant minded business concerns. No doubt having the RVM seal of approval will soon become every company's pinnacle of acceptance. As our first mutant approved business, I would like to propose that we adopt Flying Monkey Airlines as the official RVM airline. What other airline has non-stop flights over the Rainbow? What say ye?
Hear Hear !!! X3

Although to be honest Id rather drive than fly, I know it takes longer, but what do I care Im retired.

Cheers !!!!
PTJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #3864
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK, a senior moment caught me. I found the draft of the Flying Monkey Airlines and actually looked back thru 50 pages and couldn't find it. Naturally I assumed (and yes, I know assume breaks down to ass, u and me) that I hadn't sent it.

Next time I'll PM somebody to see if they remember. My only hope is that the senior moment won't happen in pairs.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote