Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #42253

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
New problem. Oh joy. I went to Freightliner an hour ago to pick up Bow. Rep notices little pool of oil under coach. Says, "We better check that out." Service tech comes over and pulls dip stick. Bone dry. Cummins just did an oil/filter change weeks ago along with $4,000 dollars of other work!

So, the very nice Freightliner rep (Cory) says he will call Cummins. He also asked my permission to pull the oil filter and break into it. He ants to check it for metal shavings. If there are metals shavings in the filter, he tells me that would be very, very bad ...and indicate an extremely expensive repair (bearings and so forth). So, I'm at home on pins and needles. He's going to call me in a bit to let me know what they find.

Steve, I know for a fact that a pickup truck is less expensive to maintain than a diesel motorhome. I also know that travel trailers and fifth wheels have problems, too. But I just can't imagine that anything is as expensive as a diesel motorcoach to work on! I mean, Barb budgets like $1,000 a year for maintenance on her gas engine mini moho!
I had a nice reply written and accidently lost it.

So you will have to guess what I wrote.

But let me say this about budgets. They are a guess at best. On Barbs 2011 engine $1,000 seems high to me. That must include breaks and failures as well. Like Barbs refrigerator last year.

I budget nothing for our 2014 CRV. Cause and oil change - routine service is a non event. An event is when something fails or breaks as you know. This can happen to new or old - but old is more likely to break whether gas or diesel.

My thought was that you had or were closing in on the breaks / failures and moving to maintenence mode. I have all maintenence done annually and if it's averaged more than $1,200 including generator service I'd be surprised. Now that doesn't include the $1,650 annual fee for my ESP which has paid for itself with a new turbo for Bonita and a new Splendide and some other little things - or the $250 deductibles. I consider $250 a non event.

In the end you have to do what you feel is best, but I would hate to find that you sold Bow - took the hit - and it turned out everything was fixed and you were into maintenence mode and someone else was driving Bow at a great price.

I hope the oil thing isn't serious and really don't understand how there could be no oil showing. If the coach was driven at all with no oil - it would have been hot - stopped dead - or something??? That and the compressor seem fishy to me.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #42254

Quote:
Ok, here are the pics of Bow's new compressor. Freightliner installed it about 3 weeks ago. I took it back to them today because the dash AC wasn't blowing cold air. The Freightliner service rep took the pics and sent them to me. Damage had to have occurred when it was towed to Cummins or when Cummins towed into their service bay.

That looks like an evaporator or condenser coil. Not a compressor.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #42255

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
That looks like an evaporator or condenser coil. Not a compressor.
Agreed... and new???
Old 08-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #42256

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Finally back from the Hail of a GC Repairs

After almost 8 weeks of non-use, I finally got my toad back and it's looking grand! All shiny and super clean on the inside too!

edit: I forgot to mention the grand total was just a tad over $11k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1312.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	545.3 KB
ID:	103326  
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #42257

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
After almost 8 weeks of non-use, I finally got my toad back and it's looking grand! All shiny and super clean on the inside too!

edit: I forgot to mention the grand total was just a tad over $11k.
Sweet! Ours was $11k too.. our list is down to hail dings in bay doors.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #42258

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Agreed... and new???

Nope. The only think new is the dent in the copper coil.
Mel, somethink stinks here.
Looks to me like repair/replace the coil, recharge A/C. If that is even for the A/C. An oil cooler perhaps, that then lost oil?
Old 08-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #42259

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Ok, here are the pics of Bow's new compressor. Freightliner installed it about 3 weeks ago. I took it back to them today because the dash AC wasn't blowing cold air. The Freightliner service rep took the pics and sent them to me. Damage had to have occurred when it was towed to Cummins or when Cummins towed into their service bay.
That is the condenser coil for the A/C. Has nothing to do with the compressor that was just replaced. Depending on how the tow company towed it, i.e. from the front or the rear. If from the rear it could be the tow truck operator was not careful where he installed the chains to hold the axle to the tow bar/lift on the wrecker. If from the front it could have been hit by debris on the road because the rear of the coach was closer to the pavement.

As far as the oil being low, any number of reason. Have them add some oil after they put the new filter on. See how much it takes. If you had driven it as far as you did there would have been a major seizure if there was no oil in the crankcase.

I agree with #1, something smells here.

A new condenser coil and recharge the A/C should fix that.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #42260

Hey, Ken. Do you think Mel may have more "collateral damage" from the tow that could have leaked oil?
Old 08-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #42261

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mel I truly hate the expense your having and I couldn't tell the difference from a coil to a compressor. But I did have a 5er and will tell you the only way to go pulling a 5er is with a diesel pickup 3/4 ton or 1 ton depending on size of 5er. Full time I would think the MH would have more storage. I've spoken to some 5er Oweners that have plenty of rum, but they have enormous campers which creates other problems. Many only move a few times a year.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:16 PM   #42262

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just got off phone with Rubys and the official check in time is 4pm!

That's sure going to mess with my nap time!
Ha Dale will you be ready to help with my setup, I always have trouble with my slinky !
Old 08-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #42263

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Terrific pic of some sick, twisted Mutants! Wish we were there.

Update on the Bow saga ....

Review: Last month, Freightliner put in a new dash AC compressor. Blew ice cold afterward. Right after compressor installed, niece and her hubby had a breakdown on way to PDC State Park. Towed first (Friday night) to campground by I-37. That Monday, towed to Cummins in Amarillo.

So, we pick up Bow from Cummins and drive home to Lubbock, but notice dash AC isn't blowing cold. Park Bow in slot and get busy. Forgot to call about AC. Yesterday I went out to Bow's storage unit and checked AC. Not cold. Take to Freightloner.

Freightliner just called to say the compressor is damaged like it was hit. They sent me pics. He said it looked like something backed into it or hit it. So, one of the 2 tow companies that hooked her up and towed her or the folks at Cummins damaged the compressor and it has to be replaced ... again! Only, it had worked fine when the first tow truck took it. But I have no way to prove which one of the three entities (Tow company A, Tow company B, or Cummins) did the damage!!!!! Kate is about to come unglued - a very rare occurrence. I'm about to just throw my hands up and cry.

Since it is highly unlikely we can get anyone to own up to damaging the compressor, we are going to be out yet another &2000 to have it replaced again. We're just about done. I'm thinking we sell Bow and get out of her what we can and buy a 3/4 pickup and a 5th wheel trailer and say goodbye to motorhome expenses. It's way cheaper to maintain a pickup than a motorhome!

Any ideas or thoughts are welcomed.

Mel and Kate, so sorry you're having such a rough time.

We did the truck and trailer thing for three years, and aside from a few small things, never had a problem. It's not as easy as dropping anchor and pushing buttons to level, but it does leave you with a vehicle to tool around in when you park it somewhere.

Whatever you choose, we support you! Mutant Girl Power!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #42264

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Hey, Ken. Do you think Mel may have more "collateral damage" from the tow that could have leaked oil?
Could be depending on what's leaking on the engine.

Mel...PMed you.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #42265

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Getting the show on the road...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1439597575095.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	103327   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439597591134.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	103328  

Name:	1439597615139.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	103329  
Old 08-14-2015, 06:50 PM   #42266

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well shoot. Lost a lengthy post...will rewrite from home when i'm done with my critter cares.