Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #42309
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Mel and Kate,
I am so sorry you are having these problems. In your post you stated that the AC was working after the first tow. Wouldn't that be enough to charge the second tow with improper hook up? I agree that you should ask Cummings and Freightliner what the exact cause could have been. I'd stick with the second tow company as at fault. Since the MH was not in operation and being towed it may be possible to claim it on comprehensive insurance and let the insurance company work it out with the tow company. There I go, thinking out-loud again.

As you know, we have put a lot of money into Citrus, not including $3500 for 6 new tires. We had a 5th wheel prior to Citrus. On one trip we shelled out $2250 for a computer module for the injectors. GS and insurance did not cover computer modules. As for the 5th wheel, well we only had it a year but it was in the shop a few times for things that did not work right. Talk about luck. (bad that is) One day a friend of mine accompanied me to the storage facility. I backed the 5er in, dropped the tail gate, unhooked the umbilical cord, raised the king pin to see just a little daylight, got in and pulled forward. My friend did me a favor as I was getting into the cab. he raised the tail gate to its riding position. Needless to say $1000 later I had a new tailgate. And on, and on, and on....

I don't think anyone can say with conviction that any one manufacture is better than the other and that any one model from a manufacturer is better than another. Earlene loves the Prevost and if the right man comes along she'd probably go with him, but then one day I asked her if she knew the difference between a Prevost and Citrus. The answer from me was, "The Prevost costs more to repair."

Regarding a gasser, well, towing a gasser improperly would have cost the same to have the condenser repaired/replace as for the DP - me thinks. The damage shown in the pictures could not have been caused by normal driving and Cummings or Freightliner would have had to raise it improperly on a jack system. I do not believer they did anything improper to cause that. My money would be on the 2nd tow truck driver. I'm not sure on your model but on mine before it can be towed the tow truck driver needs to disconnect the drive shaft. I'm wondering if that could have been problem with the oil. Someone on here will be able to tell you if the drive shaft needed to be disconnected.

Something is amiss with the breakage of the condenser. Smells fishy, and the oil leak. You never saw oil leaks before so it had to have been done very recently.
One of the mgrs at Freightliner said the oil pan is near where they (mechanic at Cummins) were working on the fuel pump. At least I think that's what he said. It will be highly unlikely that we can get either tow company to own up to causing the damage, although first tow guy didn't disconnect the drive shaft since he was only towing it 8 miles or so. Second tow guy did disconnect it for the 20+ drive to Cummins in Amarillo. But Cummins mgr told Freightliner that the guy who towed it to them is a shady character and nobody in Amarillo trusts him.

Oil leak has to be Cummins fault. It had never leaked a drop prior to them having it. And oil on ground under Bow at rv storage spot hasn't been there for months. It has been since I brought it back from Cummins 3 & 1/2 weeks ago. Freightliner guy is talking with Cummins rep, and I wish I knew if they were truly being honest or if they are just covering for each other.

Kate wants to sell Bow, but I'm thinking we should work a few months longer next year and build the savings back up and hang on to her for a while after she's fixed to see if the major problems are taken care of. If we have savings built back up in a year and a half, maybe we can take off then.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #42310

Vintage RV Owners Club
Honey is not in the drive when I got back from my critter cares, so I am guessing Bob took her back into the fella at the shop for some 'splaining he had to do! fingers crossed all goes well and we get out of here when planned! I have tubs of stuff waiting to be loaded...after I get her clean. Should have done that after the last trip. Just lazy I suppose. Mostly need to de dog hair ...lol. Oh, and get the Terro into a spot that will get the ants all drunk on arsenic....Mechanic said there were a bunch in the engine compartment by the passenger side...
More like it was dang cold here when we got back last fall after our jaunt to Texas for the retirement/welcome to full timing Steve n Annie party.... Tally Ho! Mani/Pedi in an hour...
Old 08-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #42311

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, I am sorry to hear about all of the MH problems that you guys are having. Sounds silly, but it is always darkest before the dawn. Most of the problems that you are having seem to be multiplied by other factors as it's really just the luck of the draw. Hopefully this is the last of your difficulties.

As far as going back to a trailer, many people do so, but to me, a MH is all part of the journey and I'll scrimp and save to keep him going. It's been said before, but with a trailer the vacation starts when you setup camp. With a motorhome, the vacation starts when you pull out of the driveway. For me, that's 100% truth.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #42312

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Picture it. Sicily, 1928.

Been watching too many episodes of the Golden Girls... I meant - Picture it - Bryce Canyon, Utah - 2015 - the stage is set - mutants are moving and it's a beautiful day for a Curiosity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1439651711793.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	103407   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439651740962.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	103408  

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #42313

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
How far out are ya'll?
When do you plan on arriving?
Found my reservation confirmation said check in is noon, I called yesterday, before I found the confirmation e-mail and was told 4pm. I knew that couldn't be correct. We're about an hour out, will hang here till Pobah comes along or run off by this park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezman View Post
My guess is 12:32... we are in Richfield and plan to leave at 10:39.

I had noon as the check in time marked on my calendar....

Will take some time this morning to load up the weapons...

May want to practice my drive by squirting.....

Could you be a little more precise on those times!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #42314

Sorry to hear all the trouble y'all are having I thought I was the only one with bad luck. The only way for the bolts on fan shroud to break is if they was loose. Hope all gets better for all. Mine is almost done I have new built-up transmission in now I'll tune it up and hit the road again. But to all at Bryce we are sorry we are missing this one. Sure wanted to be there.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #42315

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Marty... Ommms to Home and hoping Bob can get the guy to finish the job quickly.

Looking forward to that Mutant Group Hug!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #42316
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
Evenin Muteys!

Dang there must be sumpin in the air cause we've been sitting in a hotel room for four days waitin on Cummins to get Jenny runnin again. This trip has just about eaten our lunch. First it was a freak water leak from the grey tank where the drain hose clamps into the tank which just happens to be right above the inverter. Yep, inverter gets wet and fries. GSEW says they won't cover it. That was $2500 in Colorado Springs shop. I wasn't a happy camper because that inverter was only 8 months old and because of a freak leak, manufacturer will not honor any warranty. Then we roll on towards Yellowstone from SLC and 13 miles short of our destination Jenny overheats on flat ground. I unhook Jeepy, drive in to get some coolant but she only takes a gallon. Start her up, straight to red she goes in no time. It took us three hours to limp into West Yellowstone on a Saturday afternoon. Starting goin maybe a mile then shutting her down to cool off. Called GS Roadside and had her towed to Bozeman where we have been all week. Should be done tomorrow and another $3900 until I see what GSEW will cover. Fan Shroud sheared off all bolts but one and shroud dropped against the fan causing it to barely turn. Had to pull the radiator to tap out sheared bolts. Then found the fan clutch leaking oil. Now that has to be ordered and put in. Finally got her buttoned up and crank her up yesterday... But wait..... Now we hear a new exhaust leak. Pull her back in and sure nuff, we got a rubber hose on top of the engine that look like it started melting and had a hole. Sooooo ordered part yesterday, should be in tomorrow. My question.... How the Hoo doo does a fan shroud shear off all the bolts? Cummins sure doesn't seem to know.
Mel I feel your pain! My Jenny only has 32K on here and I've replaced the water pump, now all this. I know these Moho's are expensive to maintain but this is ridiculous! I don't skimp on routine maintenance but geesh!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Herb, makes ya want to park your moho in some beautiful spot and never move it! You know we feel your pain, my friend. I guess there are no guarantees of trouble-free RVing even with a new or newer coach. At Freightliner yesterday I watched them pull a 2013 coach into a bay. Mgr pointed to it and said, "The owner paid $1.1 million for it." And there it was, in the shop.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #42317
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Does this look familar???
Very funny, Steve. ;-)
Old 08-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #42318

The only thing that I can add from afar (meaning ... I ain't there) in reference to motor home problems and specifically Diesel engines is ... it pays to be VERY familiar with the beasts. How they operate and the accessories too. Does not mean you ever need to actually dismantle an engine yourself, but knowledge is power.

Mel ... you seem to be emerging from this scrap with the right attitude. Wait and make the big decisions after the dust has settled.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #42319

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
Herb & Mel,

So sorry to hear of the problems, expenses, and frustrations, I can empathise with you.

Herb, I had learned the hard way about Cummins vs. Freightliner. Not to offend Ed, but Cummins knows nothing about the diesel pusher cooling systems on Freightliners. Cummins simply delivers an engine to Freightliner, and then Freightliner installs their own radiator & cooling systems, to include the shrouds and fan clutch. So, taking Jenny to Cummins for a radiator/cooling system/fan clutch is like taking your Jeep to a Polaris dealership. This lesson cost me over $2500.00 last year.

Additionally, all Cummins are NOT created equal. As Ed explained to me, [if I remember it correctly] some are owned/operated by Cummins, while others are part of a Franchise. However, all have the same Cummins sign outside.

As to the bolts, I remember that when I did some research on my overheating problems with my Cummins 340 hp Turbo, I believe I read something about Freightliner having some problems with the bolts shearing off particular fan clutches. What stuck with me was that there was not a recall on them, only a technical bulletin. You might want to give them a call at 1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357). I have read that they have been extremely helpful and aren't afraid to tell the customer that this & that needs to be done, on THEIR DIME [but you need to ask for it], even if out of warranty. Just have your chassis & other coach #s.

Mel,

Frustrating, disappointing, and depressing!!!! It will put you in the what the h#@@ is going on and why me? I cannot put up with it anymore!!! Is this what I signed up for? Do I just need to get rid of this MH to get rid of all of the problems? Is this dream really costing me all of that money, money that I really cannot afford to pay out?

Well, there are many, many answers out there, but they can only be answered by you. Your rational inner thoughts & judgement will eventually rise to the top. You cannot answer these questions while all of this is happening to you. Will it all pass? YES!!!! Will you be able to sit back one day, and say it was worth fixing it and putting out all the money [that you hadn't planned for]? Only fond memories of the journeys and places visited will be able to answer that Bottomline, only you and Kate can make these decisions. Only you two can answer the questions, BUT only when rational reasoning kicks in!!!!!

Larry

Larry thanks for the info! This has been a learning experience for sure. Still no word on what if anything GSEW is gonna cover. Parts truck arrives at 10 so they should get her back in to finish sometime this morning. I know we are both ready to put Bozeman Montana behind us. Smoke from Forrest fires is so bad today you can't see any mountains in any direction. Bozeman sits at the base of the mountain range so you can imagine it's pretty bad here today.

Mel you and Kate hang in there. Don't make any snap decisions yet that you may regret later. I think your plan seems prudent and logical to work a little longer and recuperate the savings. Better to address these things now than later when your out on the road like us. Hotel bills and eating every meal out only adds insult to injury!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #42320

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Very funny, Steve. ;-)
That's the spirit! Hugs!
Old 08-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #42321

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
T minus 17 minutes and counting... 3 mutants to roll... 10, 9, 8, 7,....

The Poobah is absent so far this morning....

Herb - what direction will Jenny head... Bryce is nice... in fact it's grand!
Old 08-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #42322
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Mel, you seem to have fixed many things, spending huge sums of money. Why spend $2000 for easy A/C when you have good overheads and a Genny. It actually uses no more fuel to run the Genny than to turn on the dash unit. The added benefit is the overhead units cool better.
That's exactly what I do! The dash air in my Beaver is intermittent and I just don't even try to use it. Even when it works, the heat in the coach on a hot day doesn't even get quelched with the dash air. I run the front A/C unit on the genny and all is good. Sometimes I even have to shut it off cause we're cold!

Here's the latest for me.

Just left on day one of holidays, noticed my right front Jack wasn't fully retracted. I cycled the leveling system again to see if it would retract and blew a seal in the Jack. A pool of hydraulic fluid surrounded my front tire. So much for using my jacks on our holiday! Hope all my booked sites are level. Good thing I brought blocking with me! What a pain in the A$$ though. That should be good for another $1,000 bill!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote