Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #45333

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by romin roman View Post
I use it all the time too.. Love the "Map" feature to look around ...

I think you posted a while back that you are hitting the rainbow on the 6th... Have SAFE & FUN travels... Will love to hear about your adventures too...
Our Seattle departure has been delayed until 10/15 so we can doggie sit while my SIL is out of town. Luckily, the weather is staying nice so I'm not real motivated head south. The best part of retirement is being flexible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #45334

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The weather sure has been beautiful of late.
Off on another day or two camping up in Campbell River.
BIL and his lady are visiting and we are going up to do family event.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:05 AM   #45335

Oh my gosh! I can't believe that this thread can be sooooooo quiet for this long of time. I have to give you something to read.

We're back home in Indiana until the week following Christmas then it's off to AZ. Hope for a Mini or Midi-C a couple of times within the confines of that beautiful state during January thru March.

Negotiations still continue on the MH tire that went bald in 2,200 miles. Things said like "In all of my years of business, I've never seen a tire do that".

Original repair service that put on the 70R instead of the 80R insists that what they did was okay and it's a bad tire. NOW FOR YOU TECHIE TYPES (and that certainly does NOT include your's truly): He states "on a 255/70R/22.5 tire, the 70R refers to the width of the tread and so it's okay to put a 70R, 75R, or 80R tire next to a 255/80R/22.5 Michelin. The widths of the two tires isn't that important". "The partially worn (43,000 miles) Michelin must have been "shorter" than the new Yokohama causing the Yokohama to wear EXCESSIVELY"

I don't know tires from grapes so I don't have an intelligent opinion. Talk among yourselves.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #45336

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
Oh my gosh! I can't believe that this thread can be sooooooo quiet for this long of time. I have to give you something to read.

We're back home in Indiana until the week following Christmas then it's off to AZ. Hope for a Mini or Midi-C a couple of times within the confines of that beautiful state during January thru March.

Negotiations still continue on the MH tire that went bald in 2,200 miles. Things said like "In all of my years of business, I've never seen a tire do that".

Original repair service that put on the 70R instead of the 80R insists that what they did was okay and it's a bad tire. NOW FOR YOU TECHIE TYPES (and that certainly does NOT include your's truly): He states "on a 255/70R/22.5 tire, the 70R refers to the width of the tread and so it's okay to put a 70R, 75R, or 80R tire next to a 255/80R/22.5 Michelin. The widths of the two tires isn't that important". "The partially worn (43,000 miles) Michelin must have been "shorter" than the new Yokohama causing the Yokohama to wear EXCESSIVELY"

I don't know tires from grapes so I don't have an intelligent opinion. Talk among yourselves.

I think that's Wrong Steve! Read here.
Understanding Tire Sizes | Just Tires
Old 10-06-2015, 08:13 AM   #45337

Me thinks that the tire guy got it wrong. I think I will send this link to his attention. A difference in the 70R or 80R would change the height of the tire from the ground to the top of the tire. Right?
Old 10-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #45338

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good Morning mutants!
The sun is up and the sky is blue again. I hear tell there is dusting of snow on the the San Juans... may need to take a little journey to see the white stuff... it's plesant here. The heat pump was on last night and Bonita B kept us in the comfort zone. Love spring and fall in the mountains!

Hopefully the PTJeeps parts arrive today! Will be good to reunite with them for some site seeing, great eats and mutant shenigans!

Not much to say - other than been looking at the map and beginning to figure our way to Vegas - then on to Az for the winter. We made a new friend here and will be stopping off to see them in Wickenburg before moving on to Peoria Az to see my cousin. Then on to Apache Junction to visit with our work camper friends we me in the RGV and visited with in Amana Colonies. A bonus round there as Papaw Steve and Mary Ann will be hanging their hats there too.

So official notice... 10/17 will be my 1 year retorement anniversary! Just around the bend. So hard to believe. One year off full timing is close behind! It has been awesome! Anyone thinking of giving it a go - I'm proof anybody can do it!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #45339

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post

Original repair service that put on the 70R instead of the 80R insists that what they did was okay and it's a bad tire. NOW FOR YOU TECHIE TYPES (and that certainly does NOT include your's truly): He states "on a 255/70R/22.5 tire, the 70R refers to the width of the tread and so it's okay to put a 70R, 75R, or 80R tire next to a 255/80R/22.5 Michelin. The widths of the two tires isn't that important". "The partially worn (43,000 miles) Michelin must have been "shorter" than the new Yokohama causing the Yokohama to wear EXCESSIVELY"...
As Huntnski (EDIT Tim ) has posted the information let me put it in layman's terms...you got bamboozled.

255 is the width in mm.

70 is NOT width but a ratio of height to width. In other words, when they reduced your ratio from 80 to 70 you have a tire with a smaller diameter because the height of the sidewall is shorter. Thus it must turn faster for a given speed. That also means less MPGs and that your speedo is going to be off a bit. In the Michelin line the XZE tire diameter of 255/70s are 36.7" and the 255/80s are 38.5".

The net effect:

TIRE------RADIUS-----CIRCUMFERENCE-----REVOLUTIONS/MILE
255/70-----17.2------------54.04-----------------1172.56
255/80-----17.9------------56.23-----------------1126.71
(The radius is based on a loaded tire thus less than twice the published diameter. See attachment.)

(Theoretically, you will loose about 4% in fuel mileage with the smaller tire turning more revs per mile but you won't know it because your speedo will be off thinking you drove 4% further. LOL)

One other concern is load rating. At least in the Michelin line both the 255/70 tires have the same or higher load rating as the 255/80 tires.

The "R" only means it is a radial biased tire.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV_Tires_Brochure.pdf (1.58 MB, 18 views)
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #45340

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey look eveybody! Don's alive! He has forgotten Tims name, but he lives! He lives!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #45341

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Hey look eveybody! Don's alive! He has forgotten Tims name, but he lives! He lives!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #45342

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Lol... good to hear from ya!
I see you're investigating new rainbow riders... keep us informed so we'll know what not to park next to...
Old 10-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #45343

Papaw, they are indeed trying to weasel out. They should know nuff not to mess with RVMs with a large collective knowledge!
BTW, busy here with my AZ family, 2 sisters and many friends.
Now? My morning mission:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444151428.779749.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	108924
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #45344

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
^^^ I love thick cut bacon ^^^
You should try some.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #45345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
^^^ I love thick cut bacon ^^^
You should try some.

This is. Any thicker it will oink!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #45346

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
This is. Any thicker it will oink!
Just funnin yuh.

Off again as we are headed out for a couple of days.

Nice only having to answer to our whims once again.

May or may not be connected where we are headed as reception is spotty at best even on good days.

See you all later and play nice.

Steve, I got your message but too late to call and my MJ will not be making this trip. Will talk to you when we'alls get back.