Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #45571

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Los Algodones lets you just walk in. US customs needs a passport.
My mantra is my guide.
We don't do MX RVing. Only shopping and food and drink

The one and only and definitely the last time Sue and I drove into Mexico was in '09 down to Chihuahua City to deal with Sue's mum passing away there. We were traveling out west in our Pleasureway Class B when we got the sad news and came back to cross over at El Paso into Juarez. Sure, you don't need a passport there but 30 miles on you hit the real border. Machine gun nests each side of the road, full passport inspection and payment of a hefty fee for a temporary visa.

People say you should maintain a low profile in Mexico - driving an RV there is not quite the way to do that. There is one largish town between Juarez and Chihuahua where people were jumping out trying to get us to stop. We just looked straight ahead hoping no one went under the wheels.

We were given directions by the operator of the tour Sue's mum was on to an RV park just outside Chihuahua city. It was large and very well laid out with full hook ups at each site. It was also totally empty. The campground host was an amiable guy (who had studied engineering in the States) and lived on site in a concrete box supporting a large transmission tower. He explained that the park used to be full of visiting Americans, before the drug/gun violence got out of hand. It is now a ghost ground and certainly not recommended.

We will never drive in that country again.

There's a lot more to this story (like not being able to find anyone at the US consulate entrance who could speak English!) but I'll leave Sue to fill you in.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #45572

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Now for a musical interlude....
Six Men Beautifully Sing "Hotel California" A Capella
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #45573
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
The one and only and definitely the last time Sue and I drove into Mexico was in '09 down to Chihuahua City to deal with Sue's mum passing away there. We were traveling out west in our Pleasureway Class B when we got the sad news and came back to cross over at El Paso into Juarez. Sure, you don't need a passport there but 30 miles on you hit the real border. Machine gun nests each side of the road, full passport inspection and payment of a hefty fee for a temporary visa.

People say you should maintain a low profile in Mexico - driving an RV there is not quite the way to do that. There is one largish town between Juarez and Chihuahua where people were jumping out trying to get us to stop. We just looked straight ahead hoping no one went under the wheels.

We were given directions by the operator of the tour Sue's mum was on to an RV park just outside Chihuahua city. It was large and very well laid out with full hook ups at each site. It was also totally empty. The campground host was an amiable guy (who had studied engineering in the States) and lived on site in a concrete box supporting a large transmission tower. He explained that the park used to be full of visiting Americans, before the drug/gun violence got out of hand. It is now a ghost ground and certainly not recommended.

We will never drive in that country again.

There's a lot more to this story (like not being able to find anyone at the US consulate entrance who could speak English!) but I'll leave Sue to fill you in.
OMG, Martin. You guys were gutsy going down to Mexico at that time. This story sounds like another screenplay.... Just sayin' .... I think we have enough material for a couple of films now, so y'all can stop with the harrowing experiences already!

I shudder to think of the danger you two put yourselves in! But thank goodness you were able to take care of She's mom and get the beck outta there safely!
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #45574

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
The best way to winterize it is to go South. Yes, Richard, there is a South below Arkansas, and NO, as I have explained to Diane, no passport required.
Larry, you have just woke up a part of my brain I haven't used in a long time.... Maybe it is just my old age, but my many trips south to visit my brother in Tampa & softball tournaments in Gulfport, Orange Beach areas have never been freezing.. They have always asked what I used those (tire) chains & ice scraper for..

I guess my brain never made the connection that I might do something like that...

Or maybe, it could have been the letters from the chambers, that I am considered a "persona-non-gratta" ( forgive the spelling )

I am considered a "Yankee" there & they will not listen to me when I tell them I was BORN in the SOUTH !!! South Seattle that is... lol

Seriously, I do appreciate your post & when Wayne & Nelwin Gray will consider moving back into their house, we can become "Full-timers"...

Anyway, I hope my story will help you continue your recovery --- it is sure good to hear from you..

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 2019 Coach House 26' .... Our Chihuahua T.T. lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
romin roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #45575

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Except for those amazing margaritas in Los Algodones!
But the passport is only to get back into the US.
Our goal for weather: never hot nor cold, so I don't feel so old.
Dave, your poetic goal gave me a thought...

Get with Wayne & write a new song "Never hot nor cold, so I don't feel so old... This should sell a million...

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 2019 Coach House 26' .... Our Chihuahua T.T. lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
Old 10-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #45576

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
Well, Diane has now done it!!!!!

In her aging years, she has gone HIGH MAINTENANCE on me!!!!!! Oh where, oh where can I go & what can I do??????

I CANNOT wait to hear this story...

One piece of advice, SHE IS WORTH IT !!! She told us that at Lake Catherine. lol

*** Addition --- I should have read ahead before I posted this.. I see the RV Manson you are getting...

Old 10-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #45577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Lol..... Ok... Mel... You got me pegged, you too, Sue.... And you know I am not doing this by myself........ Smile

Leaving out on Wed to drive to the Florida/Georgia state line to take delivery on our 2016 Berkline XL40RB.

Yes, a new coach.... Some of you know that the one we have was sold as new by a local dealer but wasnt... A year in court before we got to use it. Major issues, etc... Got most ironed out, but we just wanted a little bit of elbow room....

So this sweet condo has 4 slides..... Ya know... The finance company says ok, so we said ok.... What it doesnt have is a paid off mortgage... Thats my new mutant status....

Name is PORSH, Larry can explain it.....

Attachment 109370 Attachment 109372

So YES, planning to be in Arizona for a couple of months..... This winter.....

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!

SSSWWWWeeeetttt !!! I cannot wait to see it, BUT I will not have Ann with me --- lol

I am thrilled for you guys !!!

I guess Larry claims this makes you "High Maint" when this was probably HIS IDEA... Right...

ENJOY

Old 10-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #45578
MPH

Quote:
Lol..... Ok... Mel... You got me pegged, you too, Sue.... And you know I am not doing this by myself........ Smile

Leaving out on Wed to drive to the Florida/Georgia state line to take delivery on our 2016 Berkline XL40RB.

Yes, a new coach.... Some of you know that the one we have was sold as new by a local dealer but wasnt... A year in court before we got to use it. Major issues, etc... Got most ironed out, but we just wanted a little bit of elbow room....

So this sweet condo has 4 slides..... Ya know... The finance company says ok, so we said ok.... What it doesnt have is a paid off mortgage... Thats my new mutant status....

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!

YES!!!!!!! Well, good for you two! The new Rainbow Rider is a real beauty!

Larry, I KNOW you meant to say that Di is WORTH EVERY DIME it may have taken to get that Jeep and the new coach, Porsh. Right? ;-)
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #45579

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:

Wow, what a nice new ride!!! Really like the floor plan too, very nice setup. Good luck with it!!!
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #45580

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Wow, what a nice new ride!!! Really like the floor plan too, very nice setup. Good luck with it!!!
What Carl said!! Congrats on the new digs!!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #45581

R U an RV Mutant too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by romin roman View Post
Dave, your poetic goal gave me a thought...

Get with Wayne & write a new song "Never hot nor cold, so I don't feel so old... This should sell a million...

Neat!
My part is done. I am words, not music, except when I sing. Everybody howls when I sing, so I sing louder and they howl louder. Nice to know they like it.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #45582
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry, Larry, Larry, that's what you get for going Blonde! Everyone knows they are high maintenance..

Congratulations Di, oh, and you also Larry. Nice ride.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #45583

Larry and Di, time to hit the road! Congrats.
Give us a warning before you show up in AZ. Don't want the glare of Porsh to blind us, much like when Wayne and I remove our hats.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #45584

Sweet motor home Di and Larry. Hope to see both of you somewhere in the Valley of the Sun this winter.