Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2015, 10:16 PM   #46439

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Mutants, I come in need of more ohmmmmms. Not for me, but for Bow. Nephew James went with us this afternoon to pick her up from the shop, where our tech, Jeff, had installed a new state-of-the-art OTA antenna and did a couple of other minor things. After I wrote a check for the work, we followed behind as James drove Bow down the highway. We hadn't gone too many miles until I asked Kate to pull up closer behind the coach. I'd noticed something leaking from the rear.

We pulled up close and sure enough, I smelled diesel fuel and it was hitting our windshield as we followed. I called James and had him pull over. Diesel fuel was pouring out from the fuel line or the fuel pump or somewhere. James turned off the engine and the leaking slowed then stopped. Then, when he restarted the engine, the fuel started pouring again, and I don't mean a little drip. It was pouring out. Wish I'd taken a video of it on the phone. But, at the time I was so shocked and frustrated that I didn't even think about making a video.

James said that he had no power when he hit the accelerator. Said it took forever to accelerate and then he could barely even get it to 55 mph.

Soooooo .... back to Freightliner on Monday. They were the last ones to do something to ("fix") the fuel pump after Cummins in Amarillo totally screwed it up.

I don't even know what to say. I'm so discouraged. Just when I thought we had everything fixed and ready to go ....

Freightliner will "fix" it and then what next?

Is it time to sell Bow? Anybody have a good, working crystal ball they can look at for us?

Les, that 5th wheel of yours looks better all the time ....
Mel, forgive me for not knowing the extent of your problems with BOW. I've seen more than once mentions of trading. How old is BOW, and just what make/model is it?
Is the engine a 59 series? That's a 5.9L engine from late 90s to early 2000s. Lots of problems with that one. Other than that, trading or selling is a drastic crazy expensive move.
Sometimes things happen, sometimes lots of things happen all at once or close together. Just remember, there are no bad omens, or signs. That's all superstition.
Your problems seem to be related to incompetent repair facilities. How on earth could it not leak when they pulled it out of service bay? Is your unit so old that a hose or connection could spontaneously fail?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 10:24 PM   #46440

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just my .02. Trying for a GC in AZ anytime before 3/31 will be difficult at best. April in Az is still great so that may be a reasonable alternative.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:35 PM   #46441
MPH

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Hang in there! I'm no diesel mechanic so I won't hazard a guess but I hope it is something pretty simple.
OOHHHMMMMSSSS to Bow.
Thanks for the ohmmmms. We're definitely hoping for simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
So we're you able to get Bow to Freightliner or a reputable mechanic?

That would be step 1.
Step 2. Don't panic.
Step 3. Diagnostic
Step 4. Don't panic.

Let all those other questions leave your consciousness. Probably simple. Maybe their fault?

Fuel runs through lines - which are connected to things... (tech jargon). Probably just a line or connection.
Steve, we haven't taken it to Freightliner yet because 1) we just discovered it and 2) they're closed on Saturday and Sunday. But, I am no longer in panic mode. I'm more in "What the h__?!" mode. How can so many diesel mechanics have their hands in that engine compartment it still not be fixed properly? It never leaked one drop of fuel or oil before Cummins and then Freightliner got hold of it. Sigh. It makes my eyes roll back in my head. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Hey Mel, !!!

Don't Panic first of all, secondly its best to find this now, thirdly my guess is a small leak that intensifies when the system is pressurized. Take three deep breaths and relax I can assure you it isn't always one thing after another.

Keep your chin up seriously, its not as bad as it looks, and one the bright side once it stops leaking your fuel mileage will improve, because it won't be leaking.
Thank you, Jeff, for the encouragement. Your explanation of what might be going on makes complete sense even to me. I shall present that idea to Freightliner when I call them Monday morning. This too can be repaired (lets hope for real, this time) and we will continue on with our plan to depart the plains of west Texas in mid March!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Sorry to hear Mel and Kate. Man, reading your post I got a serious dejavu about our coach experience. Nothing more frustrating and worse when you're just starting out to enjoy your dream.
I have absolutely no regrets in flipping over to truck and 5th wheel. I love it!
Repairs?
Here's an example, when I had problems with my leveling jacks on my coach, it cost me $1725 at a mechanic shop and they still didn't work properly.
I just had a leveling Jack problem on my 5th wheel last week, it cost me $2.17 for the part and I fixed it myself in my driveway.
Les, it's great that you have reduced high-dollar RV repairs! Sooooo very happy for you. We're still uncertain about trading yet. Kate wants to wait for at least a year. I've given in, so we'll see how this plays out over the next 12-18 months. A truck and fiver may be in our future, but not in our immediate future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Cletus View Post
Mel and Kate, I had a Ford truck with a honking big International Harvester diesel engine in it and it developed a very similar regurgitating the fuel problem. Turned out to be a simple washer failure and about $30.00 in repairs.

Weird Trick or Treat problem, I'm hoping.
How I wish this would be only a $30 repair! But at $175 an hour at Freightliner, it cost $30 just to have them drive it into a bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Mel..... Follow your gut feelings... If you feel you need to trade, then do it... Life is just too short....

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!
You are exactly right, Di. But here's the thing: Kate and I have a different gut feeling about this. I really don't feel great about keeping Bow, but she really doesn't feel great about trading now. So, we're kind of in limbo. She wants to get the repairs done yet again and get Bow as ready as we can get her for launch in mid to late March. Heck, we might be on the road 8 months from now and see a 2005 coach of some kind with a For Sale sign in it and get a wild hair and buy it. If I can get her to drink a couple of Steve's hurricanes, she might be more amenable to trading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Mel, I'm with Jeff. Besides, if it is something Freightliner just fixed, they will fix it again for free - or they should. If they replaced the fuel pump them may have bled the lines. First thing I'd do is check the spigot on the fuel filter and make sure it is closed. The reason that the fuel stopped leaking bad is when the engine was shut off the fuel pump stopped pumping fuel through the lines and when it was restarted the fuel would start leaking faster again. With the fuel leaking it was starving the engine and that is most likely why it ran sluggish. I don't think you have a major repair, well at least I hope you don't. Freightliner should make good on this.
Wayne, this is encouraging. Thanks. I can hardly wait to get on this forum and let everyone know that it was a minor repair that Freightliner took care of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Mel, forgive me for not knowing the extent of your problems with BOW. I've seen more than once mentions of trading. How old is BOW, and just what make/model is it?
Is the engine a 59 series? That's a 5.9L engine from late 90s to early 2000s. Lots of problems with that one. Other than that, trading or selling is a drastic crazy expensive move.
Sometimes things happen, sometimes lots of things happen all at once or close together. Just remember, there are no bad omens, or signs. That's all superstition.
Your problems seem to be related to incompetent repair facilities. How on earth could it not leak when they pulled it out of service bay? Is your unit so old that a hose or connection could spontaneously fail?
Yep, we've had our share of dealings with incompetent repair facilities. (And they weren't back alley "we take cash only" shops, either.) Bow is a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery 37G model with the ISB 275 Cummins engine. I believe it is the 5.9 liter. Oh, joy. How I wish I'd known about that engine's problems before I purchased this moho! Oh well.

But, I have figuratively shaken myself, picked myself up and decided to push panic out the door. No point in it. We will get repairs done and continue with plans. It does seem we have sort of had one problem after another, but we keep thinking that we'll finally get everything fixed and then be able to enjoy "maintenance mode" for a while. Time will tell!

Everyone, whether they have an older or newer coach, has problems from time to time. And everyone pumps more money into their mohos than they probably want to. But, bottom line is that we all love the life style. If we didn't love our mohos and the freedom they give us, we would just sell these money pits and buy condos in our favorite locations! Even with all the headaches and problems, I'd still rather have an RV than a condo somewhere. ...Which is exactly why we put a renter in our vacation home in the mountains in NM. They can stay put; we want to ride the Rainbow!

Thanks, everyone, for the encouraging and wise words. Your sharing has helped me over the hump. It'll all be fine and will work out! We'll see you at Dead Horse! Woot, woot!!!!!
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #46442

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
What dates will you be in Az?
I am searching for our Feb and March. Looking at Yuma for Feb.

I know Sue is scheduled for the Gourd-O-Rama..

And Jeff and Marcia, Steve and Mary Ann, and Annie and I will all be in Apache Junction Jan in different places at the same time.

We have figured out that we have Jan and Feb....
Have to be back for March doctor appointments....

We do not really want to do the big Q swap meet thing...
But we do want to do some boondocking.

I would make some reservations, but other that Steve and Mary Ann, i dont know dates of who is where.
I know we need to make some kind of reservations.. But but but.... Frustration is setting in.....

And now it is November.......

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #46443

NOVEMBER BIRTHDAYS - that i know of

1- our #1 Dave
3- Mel (MPH) rvm #89
3- Ted (Timarti dh) rvm#29
17- les (dogpatch) rvm#12
18- judy Badlands1
20- Dwayne rvm#48
22- Deb (geocacher) rvm#107
26- Ken (dieseltech) rvm# 87

If you want to be added to our birthday calendar, let me know.....
You do not have to share your year......

Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #46444

Quote:
We have figured out that we have Jan and Feb....
Have to be back for March doctor appointments....

We do not really want to do the big Q swap meet thing...
But we do want to do some boondocking.

I would make some reservations, but other that Steve and Mary Ann, i dont know dates of who is where.
I know we need to make some kind of reservations.. But but but.... Frustration is setting in.....

And now it is November.......

Di,
Marcia and I are already in AZ, in fact tomorrow we head to Phoenix.

We will be at Royal Palms for a couple of months. Then in January we head to Apache Junction then we will boondock in Quartzsite for a week maybe a little less. From there it will be to Yuma, Riverfront RV park, length of time there is undecided for now and March is up in the air but I know in April I'll be at DHRSP .....

That's the best I can do for now, and there are plenty of Jeep Trails in all of those places !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #46445

Solo Rvers Club
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dave!! Hope your special day is wonderful!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #46446
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Mel,

I truly do hope it's something simple.
Not all my coaches I owned had problems and issues. I sold some that I wished I would have hung onto because they were in great condition and well cared for. Keeping them just didn't fit my plan for RV freedom.
In no way do I want to talk you or anyone out of their dream way of enjoying the rainbow.
My situation is different than most in that I still have to have a truck for work. Keeping the coach and a truck didn't make sense due to the cost of maintenance for both. The coach cost the most to maintain and keep.
The other factor was that the coach would have been fine for two but is crowded with the introduction of another family member. Our 5th wheel and truck solved all of those problems and more.
So far the only one regretting me changing from Class A to 5th wheel is my old diesel mechanic shop, RV supply stores, eBay, Napa, my Insurance Broker and all the fueling stations.

Some coaches have more issues than others. Some brands are just built better than others. Age can be a major component in deciding costs. As things get older, they break down and/or wear out. Pre-owner maintenance is also another factor in how long things will last. Mileage comes into play as does where the coach travelled and lived.

Only you and Kate can determine when you feel you need to make a change either in selling Bow for something different or newer. My hopes are that this is the last of the WTH events and you can get on with the enjoying the lifestyle on the Rainbow!
Whatever the choice, we wish you the best, we'll support you and help anyway we can!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #46447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Arrived at a fairly new CG in Adairsville, GA. Harvest Moon is in pretty good shape and I am glad I made my reservations over 6 weeks ago! They have turned away 9 people at the office and several others on the phone today!

Tomorrow we head out to Macon, GA to spend a few days. That is where my ex-wife live. Sandee and my Ex-wife have become BFFs! (I bet that breaks the internet!)

need to check out the drag strip there. My old stomping grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGA2016 View Post
Up 95 to 10 turn left and see what happens. Probably Austin TX for Christmas
Be very careful that is where I got car jacked in the daylight.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #46448

Quote:
NOVEMBER BIRTHDAYS - that i know of

1- our #1 Dave
3- Mel (MPH) rvm #89
3- Ted (Timarti dh) rvm#29
17- les (dogpatch) rvm#12
18- judy Badlands1
20- Dwayne rvm#48
22- Deb (geocacher) rvm#107
26- Ken (dieseltech) rvm# 87

If you want to be added to our birthday calendar, let me know.....
You do not have to share your year......

19-MzCrude RVM #17A (it's the big six-O)

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
MZCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #46449

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZCRUDE View Post
19-MzCrude RVM #17A (it's the big six-O)

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Well now that the list is complete,

Happy Birthdays Mutants!
Old 11-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #46450

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Happy Birthday Dave!

I know you're taking the day off!!!

Happy Birthday and many more coming your way!
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #46451

Quote:
Any more info on this? Anyone?

If you are booked in sonewhere, send me the park name and city and dates.. I will compile them, so maybe we can ....

There will be too many of us there to miss this opportunity for another GC...

No answer from anyone yet. I'm 75% sure the emails got to there destination, 25% sure that someone monitors their websites for emails. I'll investigate alternate contact forms to get information.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #46452

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Happy Birthday Dave.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote