Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #47517

Vintage RV Owners Club
Goodness, When I had previously thought about taking the Motor home east, Some of the stuff I read spoke to the crowded camping and more expensive campsites.
Listening to this planning stuff is just reinforcing my trepidation... I'm not one who plans a lot of details prior to hitting the road... and like to find a spot when we are 'ready' to stop for the day. Sounds like one would need to hold pretty close to a schedule of driving time and where ya gonna stay on a trip out east. Pretty sure it's not in the cards for us in 2016 maybe in 2018 or 2020... gosh... did I just use the number 2020? Egads... I'll be 61 then!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #47518

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
I always heard everything is bigger in Texas. Well now i am a believer. This was one potato. Seriously one BIG tater. Attachment 112611

Diane toftSFM #64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!
It was served in Texas but I'll bet it was grown in another state -- Idaho maybe? Of course it takes a BIG man to eat it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #47519

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Goodness, When I had previously thought about taking the Motor home east, Some of the stuff I read spoke to the crowded camping and more expensive campsites.

Listening to this planning stuff is just reinforcing my trepidation... I'm not one who plans a lot of details prior to hitting the road... and like to find a spot when we are 'ready' to stop for the day. Sounds like one would need to hold pretty close to a schedule of driving time and where ya gonna stay on a trip out east. Pretty sure it's not in the cards for us in 2016 maybe in 2018 or 2020... gosh... did I just use the number 2020? Egads... I'll be 61 then!
Marty... I haven't traveled the east coast yet, but have heard the same. And yet many do it so it, so it can be done with proper planning. I think the hardest thing to get scheduled will be group accommodations. That's why I'm interested in locking the GC location in and the second tier Maritime location(s) down sooner than later.

I think New York is too far south for the GC. The places Dave and I talked about are beautiful but roughly 1100 miles from Halifax for example. Mutants wishing to travel on would have a long way to travel after the fact. And even with 5 or so going north it could be difficult to stay together along the way.

For me - the trip to the Maritimes is one of those lifelong bucket list items and at this stage of the game, probably a once in a lifetime adventure. I think I might need to land in AZ and break out Trip Wizard and really work on this.

Let's keep the info flowing and see if we can't build out the lists of possible attendance for both stateside GC in say Maine and the journey to the North Country growing.

It's travel day so got to run. Catch you mutants later.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #47520

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
It was served in Texas but I'll bet it was grown in another state -- Idaho maybe? Of course it takes a BIG man to eat it.
You hit the nail on the head... I was watching for Geocacher (DALE) to jump in with a comment...

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 2019 Coach House 26' .... Our Chihuahua T.T. lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
romin roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #47521

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
It amazes me sometimes when I look at some campgrounds in the north east and the prices they can demand. Many times I see monthly rates that meet or exceed Key West rates at prime time. Just mind-boggling when all you get to do is sit in the woods with lots of mosquitos...

New York state seems to have a lot more opportunities for camping than say CT/MA. Vermont state parks have no facilities and I've also stayed in a place in NH (way north, more towards Canada border). One would think Maine would have better availability due to it being farther away and less populated in comparison.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #47522

R U an RV Mutant too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
It amazes me sometimes when I look at some campgrounds in the north east and the prices they can demand. Many times I see monthly rates that meet or exceed Key West rates at prime time. Just mind-boggling when all you get to do is sit in the woods with lots of mosquitos...

New York state seems to have a lot more opportunities for camping than say CT/MA. Vermont state parks have no facilities and I've also stayed in a place in NH (way north, more towards Canada border). One would think Maine would have better availability due to it being farther away and less populated in comparison.

Hey Carl!
In the NE they charge more because of the demand. And the peeps pay it!
I agree on NY State. I've located potential sites, and have no favorites. Odds are I may just go straight to ME. It is only one overnight to get there from PA. Perhaps we all take our own trail?
I hunted out the Timberland Acres Park because it is away a bit, and big, and in easy reach of a ton of sight seeing. There were not any more within that range that could accomodate us. Any farther, the fuel expense would eat up more than the higher camp fees.
I have not researched the farther Maritime camping yet.
Just ponderin folks.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #47523

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When Denise and I hit Keene to visit friends we parked at storage yard and they picked us up to go to their house. Prearranged by them. We stayed for a couple of days and then ventures forth and almost all the campgrounds we visited were overflowing with bigger units. They may be far from the population centers but they get inundated by those who want to be away from it all for thirty or forty seconds at a time.

Mutant Leader One, there are some really nice campgrounds in New York state that Denise and I enjoyed. One in Bath that had nice friendly owners and a fishing hole that didn't require a license. Babcock Hollow according to the keepsake key-ring they gave us.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #47524

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448302717.116792.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	112634
Three mutant ladies......

MzCrude RVM17A, traveling with Don RVM17 & Mr. Malone RVM17B
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
MZCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #47525

R U an RV Mutant too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZCRUDE View Post
Attachment 112634

Lovelies!
Hugs!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #47526

R U an RV Mutant too?

FYI, I have a call and email to Timberland Acres. I know they are closed for winter. Maybe they will call from Snowbirdland.
Edit: They called!
We are now down for 10-15 sites near the pavillion and rec hall (free use), details to come on lobster dinners in camp, Olies Trollies (Acadia tours), group rates, etc.
This could be big, I tell ya!
K. I have Steve and Annie, Ed and Jackie, Tim and Mary. Who's next?
Can I get an OH YEAH?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #47527

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
FYI, I have a call and email to Timberland Acres. I know they are closed for winter. Maybe they will call from Snowbirdland.
Edit: They called!
We are now down for 10-15 sites near the pavillion and rec hall (free use), details to come on lobster dinners in camp, Olies Trollies (Acadia tours), group rates, etc.
This could be big, I tell ya!
K. I have Steve and Annie, Ed and Jackie, Tim and Mary. Who's next?
Can I get an OH YEAH?
Sue and Martin?
Carl?
Papaw Steve and Mary Ann
Old 11-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #47528

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZCRUDE View Post
Attachment 112634

Birthday girl in the middle!!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #47529

Yes, it's me again

This is the only means for me to contact ALL of the mutants that appear interested in the gathering in AZ in February.

I need to share some frustrations:
1) The Pima County Fairgrounds Campground (PCFC) does NOT take reservations of any kind. All 260 sites are first come-first served.

2) The fair board had a special meeting and voted to reserve 15 sites for our mutant gathering. 10 back-to-back and 5 more in a line with one of the 5 others.

3) The first 15 now have a guaranteed spot to camp. You know who you are.

4) The other 4 (RVMs 13, 86, 110, 127) have a 95% chance of having a campsite inside the fairgrounds. They (PCFC) may have another meeting to see if they can guarantee 5 more sites. RVM80 is commuting from home.

5) The "availability" of sites (by going through me) is now closed except on a "you might have a site when you show up" basis.

Note: I am not happy. Various people at the other end of the phone implied that room would be made for mutants as needed. A six week horse show lands on our dates in February. That appears to be the the PCFC's "bread and butter" and the PCFC came up with "first come - first served" years ago to take the heat off of their backs (so to speak). I apologize but I was "blindsided" by this development. The PCFC says that they have not heard from RVM 86 & 127. It appears, unless I get 4 more spots promised, that the last 4 mutants will need to be in communication with PCFC and arrive early. 520-762-9100 ext.1026 Gol dang it anyway - - - - GEEEESH
Old 11-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #47530

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Sue and Martin?
Carl?
Papaw Steve and Mary Ann
Definitely an Oh Yeah!!! Count me in!
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote