Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #47881

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Speaking of party lines I have a cute country story for y'all.

In the late 60s my then wife and I were planning a trip to Niagara Falls in Southern Ontario from the farming community of Desbarats in Northern Ontario. All the planning with visits to relatives etc was handled via the party line phones.

When it was time to depart we headed west to Sault Ste Marie to cross over to Michigan to take the short cut to the south down I-75 and back east on M-69. We got to the Sault only to learn that my aunt's mother had had a heart attack so the trip had to be cancelled because they would be in Kingston visiting with my aunt's sick mother.

Needless to say we made and took off to newer plans and horizons for the next few weeks. When we returned home in three weeks time we were totally astonished with the story in the Bruce Mines Chronicle (local newspaper) extolling to all and sundry the wonderful vacation that the Dalla-Vicenza's in Desbarats had just taken in Niagara Falls.

It was one of our favorite happenings in our farming adventure because we had never spoken to anyone about the trip because we were new to the areas and didn't know any of our neighbours.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #47882

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Steve! I heard on the news tonight that Luke AFB has a Surprise for you. They will be doing increased air exercises night and day helping to train some foreign pilots now thru December 13th. Lucky you! Hi Annie!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #47883

R U an RV Mutant too?

Dennis, that is the truth about how the Hinkley News in Pine County MN kept up on EVERYTHING! Not only were there listening ears on the party lines, but the switchboard operators wrote everything down. Mabel, Emily, and the gang done good! And the annual subscriptions continue today.
Then, one day in the 1990s my folks got a divident check from the Hinkley electricity CO-OP for about 12 bucks. They left the farm in 1954!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:51 PM   #47884

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Hey Steve! I heard on the news tonight that Luke AFB has a Surprise for you. They will be doing increased air exercises night and day helping to train some foreign pilots now thru December 13th. Lucky you! Hi Annie!

Woot! It just get better eh?
I grew up on the primary flight path for landing/takeoff of Wold Chamberlain field (now MSP Airport). It was soothing when you got used to it. Same in Delano MN with trains day and night that shook the walls and bed from 100 yards away. Mmmmm....peaceful. Really!
Old 11-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #47885

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dennis,

When we moved to rural Oklahoma in August 1989 we were the 4th family to join the local party line. While nothing we said was ever printed in the local newspaper, everyone seemed to know what was going on at our place. We finally got a private line in 1992. I used to tell our city friends we were 5 miles from a paved road and 40 years behind the rest of the country.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #47886

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
They didn't fly too much today. Not sure what their schedule is. I believe I'm seeing F 35's and that's pretty awesome. Especially nice for a one time AF ATC.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #47887

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Dennis,

When we moved to rural Oklahoma in August 1989 we were the 4th family to join the local party line.
Truth be told we both loved our neighbours. We moved in on June 1st and there were my very pregnant wife, myself, my younger brother and his wife to unload the moving truck I had rented. We were expecting toi be at the unloading for a long long time that day. I backed up to the front door and we were in the process of lowering the tailgate ramp when a car drove up the driveway and two people got out. They said "Hi we're the Smith's and we live way over across that field." I said Hi to them and before we finished the introductions about eight more vehicles were in the yard.
People introduced themselves and went right to unloading boxes and furniture and then I heard someone say "Here comes Norma," and we looked across the field to the west of the house and there was a woman riding a horse and leading two ponies. The next thing I knew my daughters were mounted and being whisked off to go play with Norma's Children.
Within an hour the truck was unloaded, furniture in place and all the dishes and groceries were in place in the cupboards. Then another group showed up in a panel delivery truck with hot food, beverages and the fixings for a big outdoor gathering. We got to host a neighbourhood party in our front yard complete with musicians and guests that we didn't know existed a few hours earlier.
In our years of country living we got to love our neighbours and their idiosyncrasies and those friendships lasted for a long long time. Last time I was in the Sault I checked and found that all the neighbours we had back then had moved on and like the saying goes, "You can't go home." too bad.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #47888

R U an RV Mutant too?

Dennis, thanks.
Now, please, be still, my heart.
Awesome story, Bro!
Flasback to Christmas Day 1975, the neighborhood in Bloomington turned out to help us move to our first house in Delano.
We got all stuffed into this huge house, and on Monday I went to the hardware store to get things we never knew we needed: mops, brooms, snow shovels, on and on. And when I went to check out I was asked, "would you like this on yoytab, Dave"?
They knew who we were, where we came from, on and on, in 2 days!
Good neighbors and great gossip. We felt very warmed!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #47889

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Cletus View Post
Speaking of party lines I have a cute country story for y'all.

In the late 60s my then wife and I were planning a trip to Niagara Falls in Southern Ontario from the farming community of Desbarats in Northern Ontario. All the planning with visits to relatives etc was handled via the party line phones.

When it was time to depart we headed west to Sault Ste Marie to cross over to Michigan to take the short cut to the south down I-75 and back east on M-69. We got to the Sault only to learn that my aunt's mother had had a heart attack so the trip had to be cancelled because they would be in Kingston visiting with my aunt's sick mother.

Needless to say we made and took off to newer plans and horizons for the next few weeks. When we returned home in three weeks time we were totally astonished with the story in the Bruce Mines Chronicle (local newspaper) extolling to all and sundry the wonderful vacation that the Dalla-Vicenza's in Desbarats had just taken in Niagara Falls.

It was one of our favorite happenings in our farming adventure because we had never spoken to anyone about the trip because we were new to the areas and didn't know any of our neighbours.

We lived in Michigan for 22 years about a half mile off of I 75 in Bay City. For many years we would travel to Ontario for a week of fishing on Bass Lake near the tiny town of Leeburn. Great fishing, nice cabins, and excellent memories for my whole family. Know where Bass Lake is????
Old 11-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #47890

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
We lived in Michigan for 22 years about a half mile off of I 75 in Bay City. For many years we would travel to Ontario for a week of fishing on Bass Lake near the tiny town of Leeburn. Great fishing, nice cabins, and excellent memories for my whole family. Know where Bass Lake is????
Steve,
At one time I did fish at a Bass Lake which was close to Lake Lauzon above Blind River. If this is the one you mean then yes I did fish that lake and most of the ones around it. Lake Matinenda, Bay and Moon were our favorites for huge Lake Trout and were also in that area.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.2563513,-83.0995255,11z is the area I used to fish. The community of Desbarats is about 60 miles west along highway 17

Heck, I'm getting old. I just remembered that if you crossed into Canada at the Sault and drove east to Echo Bay and then went up hwy 638 you end up in Leeburn. That little crossroads was due north of Desbarats.

From there to our farm https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/46.49...b1!4m2!4m1!3e0

Yes, Bass Lake and all those in that vicinity were fabulous for Bass and Pike And Perch.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #47891

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuscon Snow Plow.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	113098
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #47892

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Cletus View Post
Steve,
At one time I did fish at a Bass Lake which was close to Lake Lauzon above Blind River. If this is the one you mean then yes I did fish that lake and most of the ones around it. Lake Matinenda, Bay and Moon were our favorites for huge Lake Trout and were also in that area.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.2563513,-83.0995255,11z is the area I used to fish. The community of Desbarats is about 60 miles west along highway 17

Heck, I'm getting old. I just remembered that if you crossed into Canada at the Sault and drove east to Echo Bay and then went up hwy 638 you end up in Leeburn. That little crossroads was due north of Desbarats.

From there to our farm https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/46.49...b1!4m2!4m1!3e0

Yes, Bass Lake and all those in that vicinity were fabulous for Bass and Pike And Perch.
The blue line took me directly to Bass Lake Resort. Zoom in and it looked like its lovely self. One year my wife's family rented every single cabin and we had a heck of a good time. We had a progressive euchre tournament where the losers stayed put and the winners would progress toward the "champion's cabin". Ah memories.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #47893

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
That wouldn't handle my driveway!!!
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #47894
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Hey Y'all,

I have another technical question for you. The water pressure here is really strong. I've already lost one of my older hoses to splitting. Is there any reason that I shouldn't move my low-tech pressure regulator to a position before the hoses (at the faucet) rather than next to Moho inlet?

I only turn on the faucet a quarter turn, but the faucet is next to the 2 year old grandson's yard toy bin. He is fascinated by the hookups that cross the back yard.
What they said. But, I put my watts regulator at the faucet and I have a 4 way connector. If you have one of those short 3-4 inch inline "reducers" that is all it is a reducer and it can restrict water flow. The Watts can be adjusted as needed. I have mine set for 50 pounds of pressure and have not needed to adjust it.

As stated - pressure is pressure and the pressure in the line is the same as in the faucet. The only thing you change by just turning on the hose a little is the volume of water being distributed at the same pressure.

G'night all.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote