Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #54139

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Your 1000 mile hops, Carl are three days travel for me.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #54140

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Annie took a few pics today.
You can check out any time you want....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1462418775237.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	126080   Click image for larger version

Name:	1462418792179.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	126081  

Name:	1462418815458.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	126082   Click image for larger version

Name:	1462418830717.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	126083  

Name:	1462418859859.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	126084  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #54141

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Carl... I used to use that when I had the fruit phone. Hadn't thought to look for it on droid.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #54142
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
One of the reasons I refuse to use one of them blankety blank things. Another reason is I don't care for anyone else telling me where to go. I navigate using Google Maps satellite view. It has only failed me once and even that was minor.
Aw come on Barb! You know everyone tells you were to go and have you to be happy to be on your way.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #54143
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Carl, how does Waze get updated? Every one texting a car is on the side of the road?

Hmmm! I'll stick with the Garman 760
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #54144

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
That's really not too shabby Possum. I put together a spreadsheet to calc hours to drive a certain distance with lots of calculations and 1,000 miles looks like below. It would take me 9 hours of driving a day (including breaks) to make that in 3 days. Maybe a wee bit quicker if I could keep my average a bit better than 47, perhaps 52 tops. But that'd still only get me down to 8 hours a day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1000MileTrip.png
Views:	61
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	126085  
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:41 PM   #54145

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Carl, how does Waze get updated? Every one texting a car is on the side of the road?

Hmmm! I'll stick with the Garman 760
That's pretty much how it works. The interface is really easy to use as you don't "type" anything, just click big icons. I have an older 760 Garmin that had the traffic option but I can't imagine it being anywhere near as accurate as Waze. It's a crowd-sourcing type application, meaning, it's all the users that make it work as well as it does.

I'm not saying it's the end-all solution, for one, it has no clue I'm driving a 40 foot, 12 1/2 foot tall box. It'd route me to a 8 1/2 foot tunnel in a second But that's not how I use it in the RV, it's just in map mode for the most part. I wouldn't trust it routing me around a city or backroads while in the RV. Car yes, RV no.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #54146

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
More like 4 or 5 for us lately. OK, maybe a week. We're having too much fun to waste the day driving.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #54147

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
That's pretty much how it works. The interface is really easy to use as you don't "type" anything, just click big icons. I have an older 760 Garmin that had the traffic option but I can't imagine it being anywhere near as accurate as Waze. It's a crowd-sourcing type application, meaning, it's all the users that make it work as well as it does.

I'm not saying it's the end-all solution, for one, it has no clue I'm driving a 40 foot, 12 1/2 foot tall box. It'd route me to a 8 1/2 foot tunnel in a second But that's not how I use it in the RV, it's just in map mode for the most part. I wouldn't trust it routing me around a city or backroads while in the RV. Car yes, RV no.
So that's why everyone is texting and driving.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #54148

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Aw come on Barb! You know everyone tells you were to go and have you to be happy to be on your way.
I love you, too, my round brother
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #54149

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
That's really not too shabby Possum. I put together a spreadsheet to calc hours to drive a certain distance with lots of calculations and 1,000 miles looks like below. It would take me 9 hours of driving a day (including breaks) to make that in 3 days. Maybe a wee bit quicker if I could keep my average a bit better than 47, perhaps 52 tops. But that'd still only get me down to 8 hours a day.
Has anyone ever suggested that you might be over thinking this a tiny bit, Carl?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #54150

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
So that's why everyone is texting and driving.
The interface is no more distracting than changing your heater settings or futzing with your radio or picking up your cuppa whatever, etc. It's not like texting at all, it does not require an eye focus like texting.

An example - if it hasn't already told you there is a vehicle parked on the shoulder 1/2 mile ahead of time (far enough you're not likely to see it), by the time you do see it (probably 1/3 of a mile), you can then say, oh, I'll report this. You click a button, it shows more buttons, you click the next button and then one more and the report is done. There is no rush to do each button quickly (similar to changing radio settings) and by the time that 1/3 of a mile goes by, whether you reported it or not doesn't much matter. Waze somehow gets the location more accurate by multiple users or some magical algorithm, no clue, I just know it works.

And I will say this, not that I'm speeding or anything, the ability for it to report where the police are beats even the old days when everyone had a CB. It's uncanny how accurate it is. I've rarely been surprised to see a police car somewhere that Waze hasn't already told me about.

If you've never used it, just try it in map mode, you'll be amazed how much it knows about what's going on with the road directly in front of you and even further ahead.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #54151

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Has anyone ever suggested that you might be over thinking this a tiny bit, Carl?
LOL, perhaps. That's funny. I guess in my current situation I would like to quickly see how much, how long, etc. any thought of any trip would be. If I was full-timing and/or retired, I would not require this level of trip planning because I'd get there when I got there. But for today, being able to say, OK, Lincoln City OR, how long per day do I need to drive to get there and how much vacation time will that be. It's useful for 500+ mile trips. Anything under that it's not programmed well to handle and sometimes you get negative breaks which I have no idea what that means

Well, I did find another good use for it - my BIL thought he'd ride his Harley trike to Ruskin (1400 miles) later this month. After I stopped laughing, I said, you must be joking (he has a lot of medical issues at the moment which are quite disabling in nature) and he kept going on how he'd make it in 4 days or whatever. So I plugged in the numbers and sent him and my sister a picture of what he'd have to do in order to even get there in 5 days and I think the trip is off for now. They'll just take the car
Old 05-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #54152

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Hi Mel. Hi Kate!!
The big day approaches. So exited for you both. Keep the Com channel open. Inquiring Mutants Wanna Know. (IMWK).
Has anyone heard from Mel/Kate re: their new ride?