Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #55455

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I don't know if your solar system will allow it, but I have been slowly replacing anything that is AC current with a DC current alternative. Since I full time and have solar panels, switching to DC improves our ability to enjoy life while boondocking. DC power is more cost effective since inverting power from DC to AC wastes as much as 20%.

i think the TV and fans have made the biggest change in our quality of life, but switching to all LED bulbs has probably saved the most money. The price of LED light bulbs are coming down. I'm paying about $1 each for bayonet bulbs for the Moho. Buying them online has been the cheapest. I used to have to wait weeks for them to arrive from China, but there are many sellers on eBay and Amazon that now stock them in the U.S. With LEDs you save not only when using power, but also the coach stays cooler not having the heat that incandescents make.

Some things that require a wall wart (power transformer on the AC plug) are actually changing 110 volt AC to 12 volt DC. My DVD player was that way. Just removing the wall wart and changing the plug was quick and easy to do. I just wish all DC plugs stayed in the sockets better.

2 cents per KWH is an insult. I bet they charge you a whole lot more when they sell it to you. If your solar system can run your air conditioner, I can see you wanting to cut them out of your life.

BTW, it was 85* in Seattle today and temps this weekend are forecast to be 81* and 87*. You'll definitely receive a warm welcome when you get here.
Unfortunately home solar systems are oriented towards 110v (and 220), not 12v like RV's are designed. So try looking for 12v appliances for the home - I'm not sure they even exist. Plus the wiring of a home is completely 110v, no 12v anywhere.

And I'm sure Colleen's system is like mine - it'll run the whole house, that's where selling it back to the utility company comes from. There's an excess of power being generated and not all of it is used by the home. I can run all three A/C's in my house and still generate a little bit extra power to send to the street.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #55456

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good morning mutants! We are moving to another park for the remainder of our stay here in the Bloomington / Normal area.

We like the park here in Carlock but the road noise, train, and poor quality well water are definite down sides. It's 12 miles to mom and dad's and the closest place. So we deal with it. I called the office to see about getting a monthly rate for the remainder of our stay. The owner told me he doesn't do monthly rates in June - August.

A couple years ago we looked at a park down the road and it wasn't impressive. It was a Jellystone park that had been largely neglected and leaning toward permanent housing. The other day I noticed it had new ownership and a new name so we went look around the place the other evening.

They've done quite a bit of work on the place and we talked to the owner. He said they're working hard on it (it shows) and it's $500 monthly plus electric. He asked that we call the office in the morning and they would get us set up.

So I called the office and the lady was very nice. She said she would give us a map with the monthly sites circled - give us a golf cart to cruise around and pick our own spot. That's a first. There were maybe 20 or more rental golf carts in front of the office. It's 20 miles to mom and dads but all but about 2 of those miles are highway. The same highway were listing to now but won't hear there. Bonus points for city water!

We're packing up and moving down the road. Will let ya know how it turns out!

Got me a great new GP doc yesterday! Blood work done in office. There is a 30 day supply at the local CVS now, and he put the remaining 60 days on Express Scripts with 1 90 day refill. We will come back through here on our way to AZ in the fall and repeat! He made the referral to the ENT and I should have an appointment set by Tuesday. The doc said if it's too far out he'd call and see if they could speed it up so we can get on our way. He has family in Maine and was really interested in our journey and helping me stay on course with meds, treatment and travel. Hard to beat! Hopefully the ENT is as accommodating.

Gotta run. Smash and dash time!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #55457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
True true
I was up by 6, my 3 grands left today on the move to Tampa, FL.....
Had the 4 and 6yo with me most of this week....

May be headed to Elkhart area last week of July, if anyone will be around.....

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!

Di,

Ann said " Well, that gives her 3 more reasons to travel..."

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 2019 Coach House 26' .... Our Chihuahua T.T. lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
romin roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #55458

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Bradley has gone the gauntlet. He says he has "Completed the easiest part of life".
Attachment 129063

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
CONTRATULATIONS !!

BTW, was he SURPRISED you showed up??

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 2019 Coach House 26' .... Our Chihuahua T.T. lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
romin roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #55459

R U an RV Mutant too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by romin roman View Post
CONTRATULATIONS !!

BTW, was he SURPRISED you showed up??

Naw. He knows we always show up for magic moments!
BTW, Brad thanks y'all's for the congrats. And no buttons to pop with a Tshirt and suspenders but very proud of this bright young man!

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #55460

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Thanks Colleen, i know you understand...

Barb, that remains to be seen.... We dont totally winter anywhere, so not sure...
Am researching. But we will go down, just not sure.... I like the dryness of the desert...

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!

That would be my problem and maybe our problem sooner than later - I have a hard time in humidity........but we may end up in FL sometime in the next few year till the retirement party starts.

I am sure you and Larry will be there for a bit though.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #55461

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Bradley has gone the gauntlet. He says he has "Completed the easiest part of life".
Attachment 129063

What a great pic of you three!!! Love it!
Old 06-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #55462

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
We landed at a Wal-Mart in White House Tennessee just north of Nashville tonight, I was ready to stop and have a beverage after dealing with texting 18 wheeler drivers today, it just blows my mind that drivers of these big rigs do that in rush hour traffic .... oh the insanity....
I know its crazy that they do that; not sure if rush hour traffic or flying down the road at 80 mph scares me more.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #55463

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I don't know if your solar system will allow it, but I have been slowly replacing anything that is AC current with a DC current alternative. Since I full time and have solar panels, switching to DC improves our ability to enjoy life while boondocking. DC power is more cost effective since inverting power from DC to AC wastes as much as 20%.

i think the TV and fans have made the biggest change in our quality of life, but switching to all LED bulbs has probably saved the most money. The price of LED light bulbs are coming down. I'm paying about $1 each for bayonet bulbs for the Moho. Buying them online has been the cheapest. I used to have to wait weeks for them to arrive from China, but there are many sellers on eBay and Amazon that now stock them in the U.S. With LEDs you save not only when using power, but also the coach stays cooler not having the heat that incandescents make.

Some things that require a wall wart (power transformer on the AC plug) are actually changing 110 volt AC to 12 volt DC. My DVD player was that way. Just removing the wall wart and changing the plug was quick and easy to do. I just wish all DC plugs stayed in the sockets better.

2 cents per KWH is an insult. I bet they charge you a whole lot more when they sell it to you. If your solar system can run your air conditioner, I can see you wanting to cut them out of your life.

BTW, it was 85* in Seattle today and temps this weekend are forecast to be 81* and 87*. You'll definitely receive a warm welcome when you get here.
Oh Barb I love Seattle in the summer..........cant wait to get there. 6 days and counting till we head up.

We have used LED for a while now and really consume very little kw of power. Our AC is defiantly the biggest issue. I think our average use with out AC is about 500w. Of course when we use AC or washer and drier it goes up. I usually don't use the AC till later in the day but as summer gets warmer here I am sure it will be used all day.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #55464

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All moved in to the new place! 3 hours - total with a drive through to pick our spot.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #55465

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
All moved in to the new place! 3 hours - total with a drive through to pick our spot.
No highway noise...!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1465062064037.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	129112  
Old 06-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #55466

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok...I remembered to get a picture at farmer's market...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1465064833504.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	129120  
Old 06-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #55467

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Unfortunately home solar systems are oriented towards 110v (and 220), not 12v like RV's are designed. So try looking for 12v appliances for the home - I'm not sure they even exist. Plus the wiring of a home is completely 110v, no 12v anywhere.

And I'm sure Colleen's system is like mine - it'll run the whole house, that's where selling it back to the utility company comes from. There's an excess of power being generated and not all of it is used by the home. I can run all three A/C's in my house and still generate a little bit extra power to send to the street.
Carl check out this link - it explains the Sonnen Battery System
Old 06-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #55468

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Marty! Looks great.

So here sits Bonita Bounder!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1465066360901.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	44.0 KB