Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #55889
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Wayne.
Sorry to hear about the slide motor. This too shall pass.

How the weather?
Well, the weather raises our spirts. We had to go about 7-8 miles inland toady and it got up to a sweltering 72 degrees. Out here at the beach it is in the 60's most of the day. Love the Calif. weather. If Earlene had a lot of money I'd let her move us out here.

Quote:
Back at the park. Bonita had a spa day at CIT (Central Illinois Trucks ). She got a new air filter, 2 oil filters, 1 fuel filter, fresh oil, new tranny filter and Transynd, radiator degreased and washed, one of two license plate bulbs and the passenger head light replaced.
She will have to go back before we leave town for a new air dryer. The air has been popping off too often so I had them run it down. The safety valve on the dryer is "warn out, failing, tried to get it out and stopped before I broke it."

They were willing to drill it out, but didn't have a dryer on hand which could have stranded us there. The air line between the the compressor and dryer is also rusting out so that will be replaced as well.

Today's total = $1,362.75. About 1.5 hours of that was running through the air system.

The new air dryer is $423. Not sure on the air line part - but the two will probably be about 4 hours labor. So pushing another $grand.

I know. Some of you would be flabbergasted. Personally, I think it was reasonable. And when you consider the heat and humidity in central Illinois - and my unwillingness to do the job if I had a place to do it, a bargain. Tranny good for 2 years, oil and filters for 10,000 miles.
I try and figure on $1000 a year as a minimum on the annual maintenance. I think $423 is a little high, but what do I know. The filter is about $90 give or take then the labor. They have to pull the air dryer completly off to change the filter.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #55890

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Well, the weather raises our spirts. We had to go about 7-8 miles inland toady and it got up to a sweltering 72 degrees. Out here at the beach it is in the 60's most of the day. Love the Calif. weather. If Earlene had a lot of money I'd let her move us out here.

I try and figure on $1000 a year as a minimum on the annual maintenance. I think $423 is a little high, but what do I know. The filter is about $90 give or take then the labor. They have to pull the air dryer completly off to change the filter.
It is miserable here in Central Illinois. Hot and humid.

$123.17 for the air filter and $28.00 labor. About what I paid 2 years ago.

As for the Dryer, he said it's "unusual".

I don't actually have a dollar amount in mind for annual maintenance. Rotella and Transynd are are little pricey but the oil change was package price at $149.95 - that was for up to 8 gallons of Rotella or Mobil Delvac - 3 filters - chassis grease and dif.

I know the popping off of the dryer safety valve is overworking the compressor. Fortunately it's still kicking!
------

So are ya going to go surfing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466048149429.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	130355  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #55891

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Happy in the forest!
I love the colors of your new baby!

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:28 AM   #55892

RD55909, up at 4 due to a GFI pop. White-noise fan stopped, while dreaming I fell off my Unicorn.
Rain. Yard light wet. Sleep? Naw. Coffee.
Hay! Any lurkers/Murkers out there? Need someone to grab the RVM Brass Ring (disguised as mop and broom).
OBS (only begotten son) arrives today for fam time thru Sunday.
RVM Ohms Generator is ready for duty.
Mel, yer pics are, well...I DROOL! What is that purdy rig named?
Steve, may Bonita be fully fit for a nuther season, and your schnozzola heading for a new sniff on life.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:59 AM   #55893
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocacher View Post
I love the colors of your new baby!
Thanks! So do we.

Wayne, Steve ... Sorry to hear about your coach troubles. You know we empathasize.

Our new ride has thrown us a couple of minor curves: that passenger side lower mirror that fell off ... Well, a large RV dealer in Salt Lake ordered it for me last week. It came in on Tuesday and I drove 2.5 hours from our campsite to pick it up and 2.5 hrs back. Guess what? It doesn't fit. They ordered it straight from Tiffin. I had given them the numbers off the mirror housing they asked for, make, model and year of coach, etc. it's a snap in chrome mirror and it doesn't even match the thing it's supposed to snap onto. I'll call Tiffin myself today!

Next, a bay door just came right out of the track and thankfully the struts and I caught it! I yelled for Kate. She ran over and together we got it reconnected in the track on the body of the coach, but it's not in there correctly bcos I can't open it up all the way. So, when we get to the Tetons, I'll see if I can't find a neighborly fellow to help me get it on there correctly. It's always something, but then that's part of the journey!
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:39 AM   #55894

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Well don't all post at once!

So... what's your take on air filters for DPs? I'm thinking at $123 (or there bouts depending on make) they're annual no matter what the gauge says.
I took my w@&$ truck in once and the wanted to charge an hour labor to replace a dipstick for the oil. I said if I fall for b that, I'm the dipstick or something like that. Told the shop Forman it was things like that which severs a 12 year working relationship.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:47 AM   #55895

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
...Tranny good for 2 years,...
Did they just top off the tranny fluid after the filter replacement or was this a fluid "change"? Also, did they change 1 tranny filter or both? I THINK you have 2 tranny filters but I have been known to be wrong. LOL I know I have 2.

Fresh Transynd fluid is good for 4 years or 150,000 miles. Tranny filters are good for 3 years or 75,000 miles. If you do fluid analysis you can go longer based on results. Transynd can easily go much further. Filters can also be extended based on analysis however, I prefer to keep filters "on schedule" at least for now because you need a higher priced analysis for that.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #55896

Hmmmmm. So while you are talking above my head. I will just say we ordered a double recliner Lazyboy sofa to replace the stoopid L sofa. Anyone want it? Tried going thru Berkshire. Tried Lambright , he would not warranty the fabric that Forest River uses on it, and it was twice what the LZ Boy is

So i guess i will have a Berk a recliner
Aka Berkiner
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #55897
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
It is miserable here in Central Illinois. Hot and humid.

$123.17 for the air filter and $28.00 labor. About what I paid 2 years ago.

As for the Dryer, he said it's "unusual".

I don't actually have a dollar amount in mind for annual maintenance. Rotella and Transynd are are little pricey but the oil change was package price at $149.95 - that was for up to 8 gallons of Rotella or Mobil Delvac - 3 filters - chassis grease and dif.

I know the popping off of the dryer safety valve is overworking the compressor. Fortunately it's still kicking!
------

So are ya going to go surfing?
I tried surfing here last year. It drew a crowd and they were thinking a beach whale was on the sand. Not going to try that again.

My estimate is based on a full M1, 2 or 3 per Freightliner recommendations. Freightliner Houston does a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinthebus View Post
I took my w@&$ truck in once and the wanted to charge an hour labor to replace a dipstick for the oil. I said if I fall for b that, I'm the dipstick or something like that. Told the shop Forman it was things like that which severs a 12 year working relationship.
Your dipstick episode reminds me of this: Many many moons ago there was a cartoon of two men standing in front of a car with the hood up. One was the owner and the other was the mechanic. The owner caption read, "Can you keep it under $15?" The Mechanic replied, "Do you want to close the hood or do you want me to?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Hmmmmm. So while you are talking above my head. I will just say we ordered a double recliner Lazyboy sofa to replace the stoopid L sofa. Anyone want it? Tried going thru Berkshire. Tried Lambright , he would not warranty the fabric that Forest River uses on it, and it was twice what the LZ Boy is

So i guess i will have a Berk a recliner
Aka Berkiner
I got rid of the Euro Chair and have a Lazyboy. So much better.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #55898

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Did they just top off the tranny fluid after the filter replacement or was this a fluid "change"? Also, did they change 1 tranny filter or both? I THINK you have 2 tranny filters but I have been known to be wrong. LOL I know I have 2.

Fresh Transynd fluid is good for 4 years or 150,000 miles. Tranny filters are good for 3 years or 75,000 miles. If you do fluid analysis you can go longer based on results. Transynd can easily go much further. Filters can also be extended based on analysis however, I prefer to keep filters "on schedule" at least for now because you need a higher priced analysis for that.
Don... Seems like we went to the same school. iRV2 University.

I had a full change. I asked them to pull the filters first and let me know the dates. I didn't pull my records out but knew I had a full change done sometime after we bought her. He came back and told me the filters were dated 2012 and I ok'd the full change. I can look at the invoice again but think there were two.

The freightliner shop we used in Howe TX did the first change and dated every filter they installed - oil, fuel, tranny. I miss that place. We have gone about 12k miles (have 29k now) and about 4 years.

When you think about how long and far Transynd can go, the miles are probably not that relevant to most RVers. Time is probably the reasonable measure, and testing if you want to extend time or miles, or don't know one or the other, or you precieve or suspect an issue.

OTR drivers will pull 75k miles (filter change) and 150k miles well ahead of the 4 years (try 6 months and 1 year if they're staying busy), and with 40 to 60k lb loads in addition to the cab. This is why people test fluid and of course to see any contaminates. At 29k I'm not really concerned about the tranny itself. It's basically new and performing well.

I know some people swear by testing. I just want the service to be done on a reasonable schedule at this point. Maybe when we turn 50k miles in a couple years we will have her fluids tested.

So did you change your filters yourself? Climb under and count two? See it in the manual? Or get billed for two? LOL. I really don't "know" anything till I see it with my own eyes... lol. Maybe they didn't do anything all day yesterday but prepare a bill and take my money.

I know you like the Cummins shop next door. If you ever need service and they're backed up, give CIT a call. Ed the Rezman works for them in Mokena, IL and I went on his referral. The place in Normal is huge and from what I saw, very efficient.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #55899

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
How apropos.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #55900

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I tried surfing here last year. It drew a crowd and they were thinking a beach whale was on the sand. Not going to try that again.

My estimate is based on a full M1, 2 or 3 per Freightliner recommendations. Freightliner Houston does a good job.

Your dipstick episode reminds me of this: Many many moons ago there was a cartoon of two men standing in front of a car with the hood up. One was the owner and the other was the mechanic. The owner caption read, "Can you keep it under $15?" The Mechanic replied, "Do you want to close the hood or do you want me to?"

Wayne - I know what it's like to have a good home shop. The little country FL we used in Howe was great. But truthfully, my experience has been pretty bad with FL. Unless it's a chassis issue, I don't think I'm going back to them. They are defenitly inconsistent at best. And generally not MH friendly.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #55901

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ok, while we are all expressing our challenges with our rigs, here is mine. The fresh water system won't hold water or pressure. I woke up to the sound of the water pump running a few days ago. I don't connect to a water faucet here due to a leaky faucet stem.

So I refilled the tank and think we are good for another 3-4 weeks. Wrong! Even with a full tank, the water pump won't stop running and there is a puddle under the coach. Hoping it was just a loose cap, I crawled under with pliers. What I found was water leaking out of the foam insulation around the pipe.

I then call our handy, dandy RVM Master Mister Fix-it, Dwayne. He immediately diagnoses the problem as a leak in the water line near the water pump. The water pump is accessed thru a basement bay, which is full.

Nothing is ever easy. Today's project is to empty that that bay and secure those items from Sena, then get at the water pump. Wish me luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #55902

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Ok, while we are all expressing our challenges with our rigs, here is mine. The fresh water system won't hold water or pressure. I woke up to the sound of the water pump running a few days ago. I don't connect to a water faucet here due to a leaky faucet stem.

So I refilled the tank and think we are good for another 3-4 weeks. Wrong! Even with a full tank, the water pump won't stop running and there is a puddle under the coach. Hoping it was just a loose cap, I crawled under with pliers. What I found was water leaking out of the foam insulation around the pipe.

I then call our handy, dandy RVM Master Mister Fix-it, Dwayne. He immediately diagnoses the problem as a leak in the water line near the water pump. The water pump is accessed thru a basement bay, which is full.

Nothing is ever easy. Today's project is to empty that that bay and secure those items from Sena, then get at the water pump. Wish me luck.
Good luck keeping Sena at bay!
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote