Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #575
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did anyone else read the auction info? The lovely shade of green matches the CLEANING company logo that previously owned it and yet the dealer is bragging about it being cleaned inside 6 years ago. Also, it says it sleeps 4 but the pictures show only 2 twin beds. Kinda cosy, huh?

I added it to my eBay watch list. I'm curious how much they get for this one.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #576

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Did anyone else read the auction info? The lovely shade of green matches the CLEANING company logo that previously owned it and yet the dealer is bragging about it being cleaned inside 6 years ago. Also, it says it sleeps 4 but the pictures show only 2 twin beds. Kinda cosy, huh?

There should be enough good salable parts/scrap steel, alum, and copper to bring at least $500. Anyone need a Pre-computer Cummins? (most likely a 5.9L)

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #577
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post

There should be enough good salable parts/scrap steel, alum, and copper to bring at least $500. Anyone need a Pre-computer Cummins? (most likely a 5.9L)
Looks like a front radiator gasser, but HAY it does have a cassette stereo!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #578

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Did anyone else read the auction info? ...and yet the dealer is bragging about it being cleaned inside 6 years ago. Also, it says it sleeps 4 but the pictures show only 2 twin beds. Kinda cosy, huh?

Quote from the eBay ad "...really don't know much at all about motor homes. It is an oddball, however it seems in fine condition..." He doesn't know about MH but it's in good condition - typical car dealer. Wonder how he knows what the reserve should be?

It's only one year older then ours. It's going to be interesting to see how much it brings, I added it to my watch list also.

Steve (flaggship1):
The reason that we are not selling our S&B is because we can be "winter TEXANS" with out a CG fee. But when we're on the road, we use all of the amenities that FTing has, such as a mail forwarding service. The postman is a nephew so the house gets checked every day and he moves the cars around, and the lawn service comes every two weeks.

The only thing that I worry about is hurricanes. The good about them is that we will have already evacuated. We have my sister, Stephanie's sister and brother, in the area so (I think, I hope and pray) we've got it covered.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #579

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Looks like a front radiator gasser, but HAY it does have a cassette stereo!
The genny is located behind the front grill. We like it because it's as far away from the bedroom as possible. It does have the pre-computer 5.9L engine but as in my sig, we get between 10 - 11 MPG but top speed is only 68 - 69 MPH.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #580
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
But what I didn't count on with the plan was the call of the road.

RVM2 -- Steve and Annie --
I hear ya, Steve.

For us, there was about a 15 year conservative plan for age 66 on an Excel spreadsheet. It included everything and was buffered by a 15% safety factor.

When my 1st SS check came in, I took away the safety factor. BOOM! 12 years, not 15.
It was mostly driven by THE ROAD ("I am calling yooo-hoo-hoo-hoo hoo-hoo-hoooooo").
Having good luck was....well....good!

Dave

Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #581

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I wonder what the green paint does to the rubber roof because it looks like it is painted at least on the "roof round".

This unit sounds like a good beginning unit for a handyman. It should be in good mechanical shape from everything that it has had done to it.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #582

Quote:

LOL, good job OK, it never occurred to me to read about it, geesh! That's a hoot
Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #583

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY
Steve (flaggship1):
The reason that we are not selling our S&B is because we can be "winter TEXANS" with out a CG fee. But when we're on the road, we use all of the amenities that FTing has, such as a mail forwarding service. The postman is a nephew so the house gets checked every day and he moves the cars around, and the lawn service comes every two weeks.

The only thing that I worry about is hurricanes. The good about them is that we will have already evacuated. We have my sister, Stephanie's sister and brother, in the area so (I think, I hope and pray) we've got it covered.
TEFFY - after 30+ years living in the DFW area we decided we did not want to retire here. Winter Texan in our area often looks like this (Christmas 2012)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-826562123.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	616.8 KB
ID:	39074
for a few days at a time and a time or two each winter. As winter goes elsewhere it's not bad, but we find it too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. I grew up between Houston and Galveston and have spent time in RGV so I do know how nice being a winter Texan can be but for us DFW doesn't fit the bill.

So our journey includes looking for a place to retire. There are lots of variables at play but chief among them is not knowing how long we will want to stay completely mobile. There may be a middle period between full time and retiring from the road. That could mean finding a ownership pad in a winter or summer location or a cabin in the mountains or bungallo on a beach or.... for extended stays then back on the road. We just don't know where, when or what and will let the journey be our guide.

We came to think of the S&B as an anchor and expense with the potential to control or interrupt the journey. We theorized being in Montana and bumping into an RVM or new friends who invited us to caravan with them to the high desert and having to decline because we "had" to go back to the S&B for some reason. That was an untenable thought for us. In addition - we have no family here anymore. So that's how we arrived at that decision.

As for hurricanes - growing up where I did, I'm in tune with that and here we have tornados - not right here in Plano - but near enough to make it a consideration and concern. The only good hurricane comes in a glass!

What about other RVMs - full time thoughts - plans - could never do it?? How did ya do it? What are your concerns - what holds you back?
RVM2 -- Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #584
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DW wants the "roots." I think I'm for that also. It's nice to be able to come back and stretch out a little in more than 400 sq. ft. Think 24/7, just think.

We live on the Gulf Coast and hurricanes are a concern. It wasn't until later years that we started to evacuate. Rita was the first. Construction was going on at the S&B and the workers could not make it into town so I had to put up the soffets. That delayed us leaving town and when we did we went 150 miles North in 15 and 1/2 hours. (Read that again - 150 miles in 15-1/2 hours). Fortunately it was not in any type of RV, but in her Town Car - but it was a long, long 150 miles.

Now, 72 hours before predicted landfall - we are on the road. Please don't follow us, as each time we have evacuated we have ended up with a Cat 1 right over us - so when you see us going West - go East, and vice versa.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #585

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
TLGPE is RVM28

Quote:
RVM Shameless Promotion
Think you might be an RVM. Wonder what it's all about?

Do you have a beloved RV that doesn't have a thing or two but ya don't miss it cause ya don't need it. Is the journey your destination? If so, tell us about it and join the RV Mutant family. Next number up is RVM28. You know you want it!

RVM Roster
RVM1 Campdaven
RVM2 flaggship1
RVM3 jdoc
RVM4 4kids
RVM5 Papato5
RVM6 Big Oil Guy
RVM7 Happy Prospector
RVM8 Shadowcatche
RVM9 SylviaCub
RVM10 Dick Noble
RVM11 Woodburner
RVM12 dogpatch
RVM13 Davedeb1
RVM14 Wayne M
RVM15 Selah
RVM16 msbarth
RVM17 KSCRUDE
RVM18 okmunky / RVM Mascot Sena
RVM19 Toyduck
RVM20 Oldme
RVM21 Alan24601
RVM22 Sky_Boss
RVM23 Dunner
RVM24 bdickson
RVM25 nwcountry
RVM26 mekanic
RVM27 TEFFY
RVM28 Could this be you? (on EDIT - TLGPE)
RVM29 Next Up!!

RVM Muse
“Thanks to the interstate highway system, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.”
– Charles Kuralt -

Charles Kuralt with his On the Road program was an RVM trailblazer. According to Wiki "Kuralt hit the road in a motor home (he wore out six before he was through) with a small crew and avoided the interstates in favor of the nation's back roads in search of America's people and their doings." He was a journeyer - a seer. A true RVM.
RVM2
Steve and Annie
I clearly have limited admin skills
TLGPE is RMV28 and next up is RVM29.
(I may be old, but I'm trainable.)
RVM2
Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #586

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
DW wants the "roots." I think I'm for that also. It's nice to be able to come back and stretch out a little in more than 400 sq. ft. Think 24/7, just think.

We live on the Gulf Coast and hurricanes are a concern. It wasn't until later years that we started to evacuate. Rita was the first. Construction was going on at the S&B and the workers could not make it into town so I had to put up the soffets. That delayed us leaving town and when we did we went 150 miles North in 15 and 1/2 hours. (Read that again - 150 miles in 15-1/2 hours). Fortunately it was not in any type of RV, but in her Town Car - but it was a long, long 150 miles.

Now, 72 hours before predicted landfall - we are on the road. Please don't follow us, as each time we have evacuated we have ended up with a Cat 1 right over us - so when you see us going West - go East, and vice versa.
Hi Wayne!!! I owe you an email from way back on the upcoming holiday...

Re the S&B. When I think of the FT - 24/7 in 400 sq ft - I think of 8 hours of sleep - maybe some tv before bed - and then the picnic table, the lake, the mountain top, the desert road to nowhere in the toad. Before working at home, I spent more time in the office and on the road back and forth to the office than I did at home. Even on weekends, going somewhere, grocries, etc., left little time for the S&B that wasn't work. Now I do admit - having the pool was nice, and in season it was used almost nightly / daily - but how long can ya stay in the water . But seldom did I run the heater - or heat up the hot tub in winter.

I can see that in retirment - when you're not running off to the office - that an S&B would get more leisure time and use. Maybe we'll look for an S&B on your street so we can talk face to face instead of all this typing... and that way - we'll know which direction not to head when the storm comes...
RVM2
Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #587
RVM1

We wanted F/T for 45 years. Did not want that house anymore nor the financials that come with it. All of the former house expenses are paying for all we do now, with some left over. It's like living for free!

We will do this until we cannot or change our minds, and if so will rent so we can still change locations to fit our whims.

14 months on the road, and 24/7 fits us well. The MH is where we have some meals and sleep. I cook outside as much as possible. If weather permits, all other time is outdoors, usually away from camp.

Living a dream is grand. But dreams can change. You know: mutate.

Dave and Nola
RVM1

Old 05-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #588
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Hi Wayne!!! I owe you an email from way back on the upcoming holiday...

Re the S&B. When I think of the FT - 24/7 in 400 sq ft - I think of 8 hours of sleep - maybe some tv before bed - and then the picnic table, the lake, the mountain top, the desert road to nowhere in the toad. Before working at home, I spent more time in the office and on the road back and forth to the office than I did at home. Even on weekends, going somewhere, grocries, etc., left little time for the S&B that wasn't work. Now I do admit - having the pool was nice, and in season it was used almost nightly / daily - but how long can ya stay in the water . But seldom did I run the heater - or heat up the hot tub in winter.

I can see that in retirment - when you're not running off to the office - that an S&B would get more leisure time and use. Maybe we'll look for an S&B on your street so we can talk face to face instead of all this typing... and that way - we'll know which direction not to head when the storm comes...
RVM2
Wow! As a neighbor could we liven up the neighborhood. You missed your opportunity. Next door, 2100 Sq Ft, detached garage started list was $139K and it sold 6 - 8 months later for $94K. We could have stood at the side fence and told stories. New owner put up a board fence (they always get blown down in a hurricane) where as the old one was cyclone. Hey, it saved me a few hundred $$ in that I only had to replace 3 sides of my cyclone fence.

During a hurricane you'd probably be like a little puppy dog and follow the first car out of town. Hee hee!

Come to Boerne for Memorial Day Weekend and see how the Texas Boomers live and party.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote