Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #589

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RVM1 - hey Dave - when I was a kid my dad would take me fishing. He would tell me about how one day we would run away and live in a cave off a beach in Mexico. He was kidding of course and stayed by my mothers side until the day she died. But there was truth in his words. He would have been happy to do that. The closest he got was after she passed away he rented a place in Acapulco for a couple months. He had a great time and ate fresh seafood when the catch came in and had his own taxi driver. I guess the wanderlust is in my DNA.
RVM2
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #590

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Before buying my MH 26 months ago, I had only spent 1 very uncomfortable night in my parents stationary travel travel back in the early 80’s. But after a working life where I was stuck in one place and usually in a caregiver role, I decided I wanted to travel on my timetable. Having Sena in my life sealed the deal -- it had to be an RV.

I considered all types, but finally settled on a MH as it seemed that it would give us girls the most secure option. I theorize that I can drive away from trouble in seconds should the need arise. Thankfully we have never even come close.

The last 10 years of employment was a continual downsizing, with my last living arrangement a 600 square foot apartment in the bosses walkout basement. I was a personal asst/house manger/monkey nanny for a busy female executive and her capuchin "son", Winston.

After losing Winston to a heart attack and thanks to a modest inheritance, I chose 60 as my retirement age. With great enthusiasm, an unquenchable thirst for adventure and with the invaluable help of this forum, I set out on the great escape May 18, 2011 -- 2 years ago TOMORROW

I chose South Dakota as my domicile and as my first interim destination on my way to Seattle and the RV pad in my daughter's suburban backyard. Even my SIL doesn't mind our extended visits as there is so little intrusion into their lifestyle since I bring our own apartment. It also probably helps that I like to pull weeds and plant flowers.

I am lucky to have family, some great monkey friends and a few non-monkey owners (who consider me quite insane) that live in different areas of the country and own enough property to allow us park for extended stays. We spend about 2 months a year parked 150' from the mighty Columbia river and winters on 5 acres SE of Tampa, FL where we enjoy the melodious sound of gibbons calling in the morning. The journey between may be long, but then is when we explore the history and majestic beauty of this country. We also meet hundreds of wonderful people on the back roads and even a few irv2 friends along the way.

My plan is to travel until it's no longer fun or until my daughter takes away my keys and we park permanently in her back yard. By then I hope to have seen and done everything there is out here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #591

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Now that we are technically full timers (house empty and on the market) but tethered to a job for a while longer I can say that we don't miss the anxiety of making the transition. We look forward to "missing" the things that are a pain in S&B homes.

We still have a lot of trial and error basement and house arranging to do but I don't miss the attic stair case at all!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #592

Hi all, for anyone that reads this, I wanted to let you know that I am un-joining the club. I don't see myself as a good fit, but I did enjoy my time here. Good luck to all, and anyone that has my number, please don't hesitate to contact me, I am still glad to help with finding cg's etc in my area Denise
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #593

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
There should be enough good salable parts/scrap steel, alum, and copper to bring at least $500. Anyone need a Pre-computer Cummins? (most likely a 5.9L)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Looks like a front radiator gasser, but HAY it does have a cassette stereo!
If you read the description it shows a Cummins Diesel.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #594
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
Hi all, for anyone that reads this, I wanted to let you know that I am un-joining the club. I don't see myself as a good fit, but I did enjoy my time here. Good luck to all, and anyone that has my number, please don't hesitate to contact me, I am still glad to help with finding cg's etc in my area Denise
Well, if you leave and don't miss us I guess you would still be an RV Mutant, eh?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #595

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry
Denise - we will miss you and will retire RVM25. You are welcome back any time. Once a mutant always a mutant. We all hope your dreams come true!

All RVMs - Denise PM'd me and I tried to talk her out of it. She says she is not a "club" person. I hope others don't feel "club" constraints. We are really just a band of happy mutants on a journey. Many different journeys - many different ways - mutating our way to our own happiness. Of course - a mascot - high sign - the promise of a T-shirt and rally is a little club like. But no dues - fees - or other requirements - just Don't have it - don't miss it and the journey is our destination.

RVM2
Old 05-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #596

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M

Well, if you leave and don't miss us I guess you would still be an RV Mutant, eh?
Well said Wayne. Once a mutant, always a mutant.

I also warned her that I have a cousin and friend from elementary school in Portland and when we get there we will look her up. Can't get away that easily!!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #597

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
The genny is located behind the front grill. We like it because it's as far away from the bedroom as possible. It does have the pre-computer 5.9L engine but as in my sig, we get between 10 - 11 MPG but top speed is only 68 - 69 MPH.

10-11 MPG sounds good to me. If your 5.9L has the inline injection pump they are quite easy to turn up the power.
If your top speed is limited by RPM there isn't a whole lot you can do. if its power then a power increase can help.
infofor for (Non computer) power increase on this page Low buck diesel power | turn up your fuel rate for free, or almost <br/>

on that page under the inline 4BT/6BT there is a link to this
http://www.tstproducts.com/INSRUCT98.pdf

The First trip I made west was with my RV in stock setting for the pump. It got 9.5 MPG over all. Hills HAD to be met with as much speed as possible. If I hit a hill at 65MPH it would be fine, if I could only manage 58MPh it was likley I would end up at 43 in lower gears and holding up traffic. Absolute tops speed was 70MPH. That was on FLAT roads only.
The next year (2012) I turned it up. MPG dropped to 9.3 overall. It climbed hills like never before, often in high gear. much more pleasant to drive, as I never worried about getting up to highway speed while exiting on ramps.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #598

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss
Now that we are technically full timers (house empty and on the market) but tethered to a job for a while longer I can say that we don't miss the anxiety of making the transition. We look forward to "missing" the things that are a pain in S&B homes.

We still have a lot of trial and error basement and house arranging to do but I don't miss the attic stair case at all!
Don - I have no doubt you and Sandee will mutate just fine. How are Guuny and Thor handling the change?
RVM2 -- Steve --
Old 05-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #599

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Don - I have no doubt you and Sandee will mutate just fine. How are Guuny and Thor handling the change?
RVM2 -- Steve --
Gunny took a few days to get adjusted. He wasn't eating much but in the last few days he perked up and back to his ole' self. Thor...still a maniac chow hound! LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #600

RVM25 nwcountry -Retired in Place.

Anyone who sits inches from water for hours on end, is a mutant.

I can never FT. Too many hobbies and equipment. I turned my family room into a climate controlled shop, with 3 lathes, two mills (1 is CNC) band saw, 12T press, speciality tools, TV, cabinets. My garage has MIG/TIG/ARC welders, sand blaster, drill press, grinder, compressor, tools, etc, and my sand rail, plus spare parts and Acces. Not to mention what I have in the rest of the house.

This is my actual 1932 Atlas lathe. Still use it about once a week or so. Only a couple things are not original. Hope I work as good at 81.

Atlas/Craftsman Metalcraft & Metalmaster lathes
Atlas Metalmaster & Metalcraft lathes page 2

I could probably get all what's here and in the garage in my 20' enclosed, but I wouldn't be able to move around.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #601

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Mike - I PM'd RVM25 that we're like FMCA - we don't reissue numbers. And like them, we will reissue to a family member with an F or daughter with a D designation if they come along later.

Legacy RVMs - what a concept.
RVM2
Old 05-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #602

I still have the `97 CTD I used to pull my 12.1K 5er. Pulled it once when it was stock. Was un-safe to make a left turn at a light. Put a TST kit in it and kicked the timing up a couple of degrees. Stock, it would only make 22-24 lbs boost. I can now make ~40.

94-98 Dodge Ram TST Power Kit without Video

I also went 2 clicks tighter on the governor springs and can now pull over 3k in lower gears.

I got 9-10 mpg until they changed to low-sulfur diesel. Lost 1 mpg. When not towing, I got ~22 mpg on the highway.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote