Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #60299

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I bet none of you have found you have a family you never knew you had. I'll try to make this short and semi-mutant relevant. LOL

Long story short, after DNA comparisons with other members of Ancestry.com I found out the dad that raised me was not my biological father. I just turned 62 and nothing really shocks me any more so I took this news in stride. Here is the cool part.

I'm RVing all over the country and little over 2 months ago I'm in Colorado Springs, CO for a few days on my way to Pueblo for the Newmar Rally. As this unfolds I find that I'm 5 minutes away from where my Bio-dad worked as a fireman, 15 minutes from where he is buried after passing in 2000, and within an hour of 2 new half sisters and their mom.

It took me a couple months to get back to Denver because of the rally and a 6 week caravan after it but here we are. A few days ago we have a 1/2 family "reunion" and what a great time we had. I also found my bio-dad was an avid RVer too!

I could spend a day explaining just how this all came to pass. The key was that my DNA did not connect with my father's side of things. My dad, bio-dad and mom were all stationed at the same AF station in NJ. The coincidental thing was that the niece of my bio-dad was looking for her bio-dad and we matched up on Ancestry.com. A pure stroke of luck and timing.

You just never know where an RV can take you and what you might find.
What exciting news about your new family. I got a call from a lady that had been looking for us for 10 yrs. She is my first cousin and my aunt never told anyone about her. She was tickled pink to find us. She paid for DNA testing for herself and two uncles. We have since been to see her and met her kids. We've been thinking about doing the DNA testing from ancestry but haven't done it yet. Glad to know it worked for you! Sorry about your RV.

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #60300

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Y'all are giving me the courage to finally submit the 23 and Me DNA test kit that I bought several years ago. I'm pretty certain that my parents are bio parents to me and my younger brother. Our resemblance to Dad is very strong. My older brother...? Now that they are both gone it's time to find out some of the family secrets they wouldn't tell us.

Don and Deb -- congrats on finding new family members.

Don -- MOHMMMS for your Rainbow Rider. And for Zeus -- try this link to find a hotel that allows pets

Pet Friendly Hotels - Official Pet Hotels
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #60301

Quote:
I bet none of you have found you have a family you never knew you had. I'll try to make this short and semi-mutant relevant. LOL

Long story short, after DNA comparisons with other members of Ancestry.com I found out the dad that raised me was not my biological father. I just turned 62 and nothing really shocks me any more so I took this news in stride. Here is the cool part.

I'm RVing all over the country and little over 2 months ago I'm in Colorado Springs, CO for a few days on my way to Pueblo for the Newmar Rally. As this unfolds I find that I'm 5 minutes away from where my Bio-dad worked as a fireman, 15 minutes from where he is buried after passing in 2000, and within an hour of 2 new half sisters and their mom.

It took me a couple months to get back to Denver because of the rally and a 6 week caravan after it but here we are. A few days ago we have a 1/2 family "reunion" and what a great time we had. I also found my bio-dad was an avid RVer too!

I could spend a day explaining just how this all came to pass. The key was that my DNA did not connect with my father's side of things. My dad, bio-dad and mom were all stationed at the same AF station in NJ. The coincidental thing was that the niece of my bio-dad was looking for her bio-dad and we matched up on Ancestry.com. A pure stroke of luck and timing.

Don.... that is good and bad.... all in how you look at it.... i think you are very brave and i love your attitude.... i keep meaning to do it... my first cousin said her dad told her we have cherokee blood, but when i ask my mother, she says hell no we dont..... that side of my family was from middle Georgia, so location fits, i think it would be great....
you gave inspired me to do it...

Hope rv troubles are minimal......

Diane toftSFM#64....... (The Original Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant) and is retired, duh!
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #60302

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
What a crazy, busy year so far. We've covered the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic, Pacific and now the Rocky Mountains. LOL

We are kinda stuck for a few days in Denver fixing a sick motor. It kinda goes like this...

We are sitting in the parking lot of a Cummins shop in Denver, CO. We are waiting until tomorrow morning for them to start work on the motor. On the sliding scale of “OH CRAP”, starting small and working up, we have; a leaking exhaust gasket, possible warped exhaust manifold and maybe need to replace the turbo. There is also the chance that the head is warped and must also be replaced.

Anything up to the point of replacing the turbo should be done by Friday as long as my service contract holder can get an inspector out to approve the repairs. If the head is warped, then we think they will get started by Monday and be done by Wednesday of next week.

That could mean up to 7 days out of our home and into a hotel. That also means nearly the same situation for Zeus in a boarding facility. There are not many hotels that allow dogs that I would want to stay in. Now the challenge is how to pack stuff for up to 7 night in a hotel.

So, fortunately, our service contract will keep us out of the poor house but we will have a significant chunk of change to cover the deductible. Also, my contract only covers $80/hr labor and it is $140 at this shop. However, this is something we have planned for so we will just make it work.

In the mean time, I have some really exciting news I will share in another post.
Mommmmssss
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #60303

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

Congratulations to you and your new to you family.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #60304

Fleetwood Owners Club
I sent my info to whom I'm sure is my bio family.
The Rockerfeller foundation just sent it back...unopened!
Old 10-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #60305

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Well obviously there was an oversight. Keep sending it Tim. They'll come around.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:16 PM   #60306

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Have you tried sending it to the Clampets?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #60307
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Mail it from a different State.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #60308
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not the state of confusion.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #60309

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We got to Deb's Dad's house in Lewiston, Idaho about 6:30 tonight. Sena immediately went to Garland and started flirting. Deb and I both took pics. I'm hoping she posts one. My cellphone is in a zippered pocket of the shorts I was wearing. The dang zipper is stuck and I can't get my phone out. GRRRRR! I may have 1 fewer pair of my favorite shorts tomorrow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:34 PM   #60310

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
We got to Deb's Dad's house in Lewiston, Idaho about 6:30 tonight. Sena immediately went to Garland and started flirting. Deb and I both took pics. I'm hoping she posts one. My cellphone is in a zippered pocket of the shorts I was wearing. The dang zipper is stuck and I can't get my phone out. GRRRRR! I may have 1 fewer pair of my favorite shorts tomorrow.
Just give em to Sena and tell her to stay out of the pocket and don't touch your cell phone.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #60311

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And speaking of Dale an Deb or vice versa... Inquiring mutants want to know if Deb will win the moose lottery this coming season.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:06 PM   #60312

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
And speaking of Dale an Deb or vice versa... Inquiring mutants want to know if Deb will win the moose lottery this coming season.
Nope. It didn't happen this year, but a friend's son drew one and used our garage to hang it.

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote