Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #64737

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Possum's right about Windoze 10! When it starts downloading and updating you might as well go do something else for an hour or two!

I have W7. No nonsense. But I keep it updated!
Had notification that 7 would not be supported by now. Ha!
Camp wifi is nuff to keep it updated; once a month is nuff.
Turbo Tax! That's for peeps with deductions. E-File is FREE to us PO foke! About 45 minutes.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #64738
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In my previous life I did forensic investigations on misused computers. When I say misused I mean doing other than company business or viewing inappropriate images during work time. About 99% of them were Microsoft operating systems and my personal computer was the same. No, my computer at work was not misused - I got to look as part of the job. :-)

In 2007 I retired from the W$*K force and so did Earlene. She had an Apple computer in lives past and as a retirement present she asked for an Apple computer. We bought one and have never looked back. So much easier to operate, more intuitive, no cost for operating system upgrade, less vulnerable to viruses and malware, cleaner, faster, and more stable operating system than Microsoft systems. The owner of a MAC can run Windows on their computer. A Windows user cannot run MAC on their computer. Thunderbolt connectivity is faster than USB 2.0 or 3.0.

Many of the manufacturers of operating systems capable of running only Windows software have "Bloatware" in the system that degrades performance and make the systems less stable. Apple computers typically have better materials than Window platforms which use more plastics material.

The list can go on and on. For sure Apple computers are more expensive thant Android computers.

The bottom line: One should buy what they think is best for them and what meets their needs.

My hardware: iMac 27, MacBookPro, MacMini, iPad (1st Gen), iPad (4th Gen), Apple TV, iPhone 6, iPhone 7. All of them work seamlessly with each other. All software syncs with all of the hardware.

Nice to have choice for which you prefer.

p.s., I took over her computer and only let her use it once in a while.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #64739

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
In 2007 I retired from the W$*K force and so did Earlene. She had an Apple computer in lives past and as a retirement present she asked for an Apple computer. We bought one and have never looked back. So much easier to operate, more intuitive, no cost for operating system upgrade, less vulnerable to viruses and malware, cleaner, faster, and more stable operating system than Microsoft systems. The owner of a MAC can run Windows on their computer. A Windows user cannot run MAC on their computer. Thunderbolt connectivity is faster than USB 2.0 or 3.0....
One thing that really sold me on MACs was the recovery process. The first MAC Pro we bought went belly up in 2 weeks due to a hardware failure. Best Buy did an exchange and I brought a brand new unit. I had full backups via Time Machine. I fired up the new MAC then after the usual set up and upgrading the OS I restored the rest from Time Machine. DONE! That also included my Windows OS running through Parallels. Total time including set up, downloads and restoration was less than 2 hours. What was great is that I didn't have to do anything with the Windows OS or programs! Windows is such a PITA to re-install.

About 2 years later I bought my MACBOOK and transferring my desktop to the laptop was just as quick and easy. When I replaced the regular hard drive with a solid state hard drive...just as easy again!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #64740

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sometime around 2000 I went with a Mac Desktop because I was doing a lot more photography work. I found the entire experience to be scuzzy so I've been a PC man ever since.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #64741

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Sometime around 2000 I went with a Mac Desktop because I was doing a lot more photography work. I found the entire experience to be scuzzy so I've been a PC man ever since.
I was once the recording secretary for a service club I belonged to and was provided the clubs Mac to do stuff on. I used my own lapto and when I was no longer the secretary I gave back the lap and a pile of MS Word, excell etc files on it and told them to figure out how to get the stuff on the Mac's hard drive. I worked with first IBM then MS computers and I found ways to make them work. I couldn't wrap my head around the Mac OS and its peripherals and actually found them to be counter intuitive. Makes it so fun to argue with Wayne on the phone though.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #64742

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Google Chromecast $35
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #64743
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Paper or plastic, PC or IOS, up or down, left or right -- none of these matter. What does matter is that we have choices and the right to choose which works for each of us.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #64744

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Paper or plastic, PC or IOS, up or down, left or right -- none of these matter. What does matter is that we have choices and the right to choose which works for each of us.

My choice would be to return to my ol' IBM 1401 Processor, 1402 80 Column card reader & 1403 Printer... It was hard for me to put down the deck of cards and work with the 5" floppy disks...

Well needless to say, I have struggled through generations of computers & cannot believe what I have in my hand now...

Continued Ohmmmsss for those in need & Thankful for Larry's progress...

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 95 Minni Winnie 30' & 2012 ERA 24' (AKA Minni & Micro).... Our Chihuahua lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
romin roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #64745
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=Possum;3496135]I was once the recording secretary for a service club I belonged to and was provided the clubs Mac to do stuff on. I used my own lapto and when I was no longer the secretary I gave back the lap and a pile of MS Word, excell etc files on it and told them to figure out how to get the stuff on the Mac's hard drive. I worked with first IBM then MS computers and I found ways to make them work. I couldn't wrap my head around the Mac OS and its peripherals and actually found them to be counter intuitive. Makes it so fun to argue with Wayne on the phone though. [/QUOTE

All Microsoft Office data can be loaded and utilized using Open Office. Open Office is free and runs on Windows or MACs. Unless you are a business and need special MSO function why pay for something that can do the same for free. Open Office has been around since 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Barb, did you read my bottom line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by romin roman View Post
My choice would be to return to my ol' IBM 1401 Processor, 1402 80 Column card reader & 1403 Printer... It was hard for me to put down the deck of cards and work with the 5" floppy disks...

Well needless to say, I have struggled through generations of computers & cannot believe what I have in my hand now...

Continued Ohmmmsss for those in need & Thankful for Larry's progress...

I go back to the IBM 3060. I did drop a tray of those data cards one time. PITA to resort them but the machine did it, just time consuming.

Then a Univac 800 (I think I remember that correctly) using binary lights to tell you what it was doing. Then they added a 12 layer disc of 1 Mb and we thought we were in heaven.

My first home computer was a VIC-20 in 1980 souped up to 16 Mb of memory, then a Commodore 64. Ended up teach Adult Education classes on that system for the Junior College in town.

Graduated to an IBM 8088 and used the BASIC language to program or formulas to operate with the push of a button. The rest of the story is previous post.

Just in case anyone is interest beside Dennis.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #64746

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Ain't no way that I'm about to be out there nekked. Tell me that's not what you mean.

Tim, I guess you either missed the innuendo or you're just a plain old preevert.
Gees Possum, he said we'd have greese paint on!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #64747

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wayne, I thought your first computer was a abacus!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #64748

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Wayne, I thought your first computer was a abacus!
Wayne made the prototype TMT1.0 -
the Moses Tablet 1.0
Old 03-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #64749

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Google Chromecast $35
Is this Droid of which you seek?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #64750
RVM64/RVillageAmbassador

Want to smile.... I do.... i want to smile, and sing and dance....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0064.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	154503Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	154504

Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote